New vegetarian any tips?

Options
Hello :) I have recently become a vegetarian for a number of different reasons. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for what things have lots of protein/iron to keep me energized? Or any healthy vegetarian dinner recipes?

I'm still eating seafood so actually I think pescatarian is actually the word ;)

Thanks!

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    One of the mistakes I made when I started was to eat a lot of the fake meats. It is so processed that it really did not help my health. Also don't eat too many carbs. Most veggies eat a lot of carbs (Grains and fruit) this has only increased my weight. Eat real food and protein sources, I assume since you are eating fish, you are eating dairy so have cottage cheese and fish as your main sources of protein.

There are some good recipes on vegetariantimes.com and vegkitchen.com.

Good luck and you can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks so much! Will check those websites out :) I don't want to go down the carb road ;)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, fat free cheese/cottage cheese, tofu (in moderation), protein powders
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, beans (cold black beans mixed with fresh salsa and a dollop of soy sour cream is delicious), indian food. I recently became a vegan after being vegetarian for many years - i now realize how easy i had it lol
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, beans (cold black beans mixed with fresh salsa and a dollop of soy sour cream is delicious), indian food. I recently became a vegan after being vegetarian for many years - i now realize how easy i had it lol

Haha wow that would be a challenge! Yum I love greek yogurt!
  • scoutbelly
    scoutbelly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and protein has never been a problem. If you are pescatarian, then you don't have to worry about it at all. My favorite protein sources are edamame (soy beans, I like mine in the shell), quinoa, beans of all kinds, raw almonds, and tofu. When I wasn't trying to lose weight, cheese and eggs, too.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Agree with staying away from the fake meats. It is okay every once in awhile, but don't make it every day thing.

This is a vegan site, but I love it. Her recipes are so delicious
    www.ohsheglows.com

Also www.peasandthankyou.com
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    get your self some protein powder to make some awesome smoothie type shakes with that. protein powder, almond milk or soy milk and a banana, or any type of fruit, good luck
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    urbanhippieru, I just checked out that site, OMG! It's awesome, thanks for the info.
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    ohsheglows.com this one