How to kick snacking in the evening>?

Options
Hey everyone! I work in a group home so in the evening there is alot of snacking going on. When I am home I'm fine when I get to work in the evening all i want to do is snack! Everyone here snacks to and never healthy !!! any advice??? There is alot of down time once the kids are in bed :(

Replies

• FarmGal09
    FarmGal09 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am a huge evening snacker, I try to keep gum on hand. When I want a snack I chew a piece of gum intstead.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is exercising an option? I'm not sure what you have available at the home. What are you doing when the snacking is going on? I don't snack in the evening because I pretty gave up watching tv and I do my exercises instead (sometimes while my husband has chips and pop or ice cream!

Try just saying 'no' one night and see what happens. Maybe your co-workers will catch on that perhaps their snacking isn't such a great idea!

(BTW I'm a NBer too although I live in the US now. My family is all there still).
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My solution for 'not snacking' is going to bed...but that doesn't seem like a good solution in your case.

If you have to snack...make it a healthy and tasty choice. I like Kashi GoLean Crunch - any of them are great - and a little is very filling and reasonably low calorie.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I am a huge evening snacker, I try to keep gum on hand. When I want a snack I chew a piece of gum intstead.

That is the best....chewing gum right now....:)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my snacks :)
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why not work it into your daily calorie count? It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat, just don't overeat. I always make sure I leave 60-90 cals at the end of the day for a little dessert. Sugar free Jello with Cool Whip free is only 35 cals, btw. :)
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options

i heard gum makes u hungry because it tricks ur stomach into thinking u are eating does this have any truth??
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If I go ahead and brush and floss, I usually don't want to go through it all again!
  • Chickadee38
    Options
    Don't make snacking a taboo. chosen healthy snacks, I eat laughing cow cheese (35 cal 4g carbs) with two small celery sticks or almonds 18 or 19 nuts have only 100 cal and 4 g carbs. both of these satisfies your need to chew and are healthy.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Taking a hot bath or shower always helps me get my mind off it, its actually worked pretty well!
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I'm a huge night snacker too- I hate it; it's when I have the least amount of will power. All day I'm a saint but come evening, it just takes up my entire brain!

Maybe I'm not the best example, but what has helped me so far is to drink tons of water. Lemon water, cucumber water, cinnamon water--all sorts! I drink it from a cup with a straw because I think it satisfies my urge to fidget and nibble which is a large part of my snacking habit I think. I go through a lot of straws as mine end up bitten and mangled, but oh well!

Also, if I have to snack, I'll choose things that are more time consuming to eat so that I don't end up eating too many calories - oranges or pomegranates that need peeling, or edamame or pistachios that need shelling. Things that'll keep my hands busy and satisfy my need to munch but are no where near as dangerous as chips, crackers, etc that before you notice you've eaten the whole bag!
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    mehhh. It's hard to say really. Typically, it is thought that mint is an appetite suppressant (so we would say chew mint-flavored gum, sugar free).

The fruit flavored or otherwise for some may, in fact, increase the hunger after a bit. It's all very relative to the individual.
    What do I do?

I simply.. snack (healthily).. If it's getting late (within 2 hrs of bedtime), then I usually suck it up, or have a cracker or something.

i heard gum makes u hungry because it tricks ur stomach into thinking u are eating does this have any truth??
  • Evelyn_Morataya
    Options
    i've heard the same
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I snack in the evening. It doesn't really matter when you eat.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I snack in the evening and right til I go to bed, but usually things like cottage cheese, seafood, pears, apples, an egg, or greek yoghurt mixed with Pb2 and seeds.
  • Mirandas5bgirls
    Mirandas5bgirls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes that is true, the ingredient Sorbitol makes you hungry. It would be best to bring fruits from home or find something to keep your mind busy from snacking.
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't make snacking a taboo. chosen healthy snacks, I eat laughing cow cheese (35 cal 4g carbs) with two small celery sticks or almonds 18 or 19 nuts have only 100 cal and 4 g carbs. both of these satisfies your need to chew and are healthy.

I agree, don't make snacking taboo. Just choose healthier versions and work it into your calorie count for the day. If you are hungry, you should eat.

I know about the work peer pressure snacking thing. I had to explain several times one day that no, I did not want a hot dog. That I had already figured out what I wanted to eat that day and that was not in my allotment. I had something else with me to snack on and believe me it was much tastier. Plus I did not regret using my calories on something that I didn't really want.

Take some pre-popped popcorn, veggies and dip or even a half sandwich with you to work. Then when everyone else is snacking and you are getting hungry, break out your own item to enjoy. Your coworkers may be envying you your yummy snack!
  • Jillianelise87
    Jillianelise87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usally try and plan my snacks also but when the kids get put to bed a work people love to make unhealthy snacks and then like come on have some it wont kill you .... so i am just learning to say no more and more and eat only what i brought... . i may try the gum... and hope it doesnt make me hungry!!! I work out also when the kids are in bed at work!! I make sure i get at least 20 mins of exercise every day!! If I plan on something I work it into my goal for the day... like today me and friend are going for icecream after work so I am working that into my goal for the day! Made sure to eat a balanced meal at lunch!!! :smile: