Pityriasis Rosea

:cry: Hi everyone! Anyone ever been diagnosed with this? If so what did you do to speed up healing time?

I have just been diagnosed, orginally thought it was bed bugs (then one doctor told me it was an allergy....the latest has given me this diagnosis).

For those who don't know it's a rash covering your trunk that is not contagious, but takes up to 12 weeks to go away.

Being warm (read: exercise!) causes the rash to become more red and pronounced. UGH.

Replies

• LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Bump!
  • LuneBleu85
    Bumpity bump
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    There isn't anything you can do to speed it up, unfortunately!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    12 weeks???? I had it once, the doctor prescribed direct sunlight for about 20 mins/day... I believe mine cleared up in about 3 days.... I don't recall anything about heat affecting it or making it worse.... Good luck.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    I wonder if swimming would be a good exercise for you, at least relatively, while you're recovering... maybe your body wouldn't get as warm?
  • LuneBleu85
    I loathe tanning but due to my works hours and the weather lately I'm not sure how much sun I can get....maybe desperate times calls for desperate measures?....(ie tanning)
  • the_stephinator
    the_stephinator Posts: 39 Member
    I had it last summer. My doctor told me that exposing the rash to the sun the first week or so of the rash breaking out will help with the itchiness. There's really nothing that will speed up the clearing of the rash. Another thing you can do for the itchiness is use selson blue shampoo as a body wash. :flowerforyou:
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    I had this condition several years ago. I went to a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription for a cream to put on morning and night. It had to be specially mixed at a compound pharmacy. It helped but it still took a while to clear up, but doesn't seem like it was 12 weeks. I also remember that I had to shower with cool water (as you mention, heat makes it worse) and a VERY mild soap.
  • LuneBleu85
    I wonder if swimming would be a good exercise for you, at least relatively, while you're recovering... maybe your body wouldn't get as warm?

Good idea! I'm a bit nervous of people seeing me in a swimsuit right now but at least it would be some exercise.! Thank you everyone for your help. I'm the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in July so I'm in a bit of a panic.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    I had mine for a long time...I was also told that stress was a trigger for it. Luckily, mine didn't really itch at all. I just had the blotchy patches which were awful enough. They just eventually go away. The good thing, from what I understand, is that you'll only get it once in your life. Hang tight...it'll be over soon :-)
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    this is not listed as a cure for it, or is my advice intended as a cure, but my hubby had that, and after many weeks of dabbing himself with hydrogen peroxide 2-3 x a day, it went away.
  • I had it a few years ago. I originally thought it was ring worm until it started spreading like crazy. I even got it on my face I was so freaked out. My doc gave me steroids but they only gave me a one week dose so it didn't get rid of it and I had to let it go away naturally.
  • LuneBleu85
    Thanks everyone, I'm not itchy (thank goodness!) but it's starting to extend onto my arms and neck which is not very nice to look at. Oh well, hope it all healed up by the wedding
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I had this! I got it about 18 months ago. It started off as one spot which I thought was a bug bite, and within a few days flared up all over my torso. It's generally stress-related and there's not much you can do about it. I applied Calmoseptine which helped make it more comfortable. You NEED to keep the area VERY moisturized because the Herald patch (your first spot) can often become very dry and crack open which can lead to infection.

DON'T use hydrogen peroxide! It's not a treatment (this is a VIRUS not a bacteria) and it will cause the area to become more dry and cracked, plus it kills ALL bacteria, even the good stuff. Then you're left with open cuts for serious infections to start. Bathe normally and buy a fragrance-free lotion to apply regularly. Take care of it like you would a tattoo--avoid too much sun exposure or pools/lakes, etc.

I worked out and ate well like normal and it went away after a few weeks.