BEST MOUNTAIN BIKE UNDER $1000

Leesa808
Leesa808 Posts: 40 Member
I was planning on getting my first mountain bike this month, my budget is $1000.00. Looking to purchase in Canada. I was also looking to get a bike with 26in wheels but I really don't know much about what I should be looking for. So if anyone has any suggestions on what the best bike would be for under $1000.00 that would be great. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Leesa808
    I was planning on getting my first mountain bike this month, my budget is $1000.00. Looking to purchase in Canada. I was also looking to get a bike with 26in wheels but I really don't know much about what I should be looking for. So if anyone has any suggestions on what the best bike would be for under $1000.00 that would be great. Thanks for the help!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I would go to your local bike store and have them fit you for a bike. You should be able to get into something decent for that budget.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Giants are what I am looking at right now. Giants, Specialized and Trek are the three big mid-priced brands. My current bike is a Fuji, it's a lower end brand. It's not a bad brand and a little cheaper since it's made in Japan (I think).

Depends on what you want. You could probably find a quality hard tail for that price but if you want full suspension, most are more, but you could get one with lower end components for around that. Unless you are tall, a 26in tire should be fine. My husband has a 29er for racing but doesn't think it's necessary for anyone under 6ft.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member

For sure go to your local bike shop. Trek, Specialized and Giant are all good brands for Mountain bikes.. Hubby and I both have hybrids and we love our Specialized bikes...well ok I like not love mine but mostly because it ended up not being the bike I super wanted...It is a good bike though and I'm keeping it but I also wanted a vintage girl type bike or a high end Dutch bike lol

Where in Canada are you? I can recommend some good bike shops if you are in Edmonton.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    I'd go with a hardtail with good components. Save the rest for a better bike if you find you really enjoy mountain biking. Check used as well. Local bike clubs often have members that will cut you a deal if they know it's going to be used well. You never know what kind of great deals you can find.
  • Leesa808
    Where I live, doesn't really have bike stores, just one store that sells some bike with a huge mark up because there are no other options to buy bikes. So I was thinking I could order one but then I really wouldn't be able to get fitted. Thanks for the reply though:)
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Where I live, doesn't really have bike stores, just one store that sells some bike with a huge mark up because there are no other options to buy bikes. So I was thinking I could order one but then I really wouldn't be able to get fitted. Thanks for the reply though:)

While I generally dont advocate this.You could also go to that bike ship and look around, test ride some bikes and then price compare what are you interested in to what you find online. No laws that I know of saying you can't get fitted there but buy somewhere else if its better on your budget.
  • At that price point, I would recommend the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. They have it in a 26 and 29" wheel option. Disc brakes are amazing if you've never had anything except rim brakes. It's a hard tail, and the MSRP is around $800 canadian.

Giant has some good stuff, maybe the Rincon for that price point, but I don't really know anything about their gear.
  • Leesa808
    Thanks for all the comments. I resally dont know hwat to be looking for but I came up with these 2 choices:
    1. specialized hardrock sport disc (the recommended from above)
    2. 2012 trek 4500 disc

Anyone know which bike would be best for my price point. or in anyone has any other suggestions that would be great too. Thanks:)
  • Leesa808
    Thanks for all the comments. I resally dont know hwat to be looking for but I came up with these 2 choices:
    1. specialized hardrock sport disc (the recommended from above)
    2. 2012 trek 4500 disc

Anyone know which bike would be best for my price point. or in anyone has any other suggestions that would be great too. Thanks:)
  • davidb611
    davidb611 Posts: 16
    If I had $1,000 to drop id get a Trek 1.2
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Craigslist. I got a Giant, full suspension, disc brakes, 9 gear, good condition for $650. Stay away from the Mongoose Walmart specials. Trek, Giant, GT, Gary Fisher, Specialized, Kona. All good brands. You might find something good at www.bikesdirect.com. Try a 29er Hard Tail with good components, you might find something good for your budget.

Good luck! I say go cheap on your first one, like under $800. Figure out if you like riding and what's important to you. Then in a year or so, upgrade. Right now, you probably won't be able to outride anything you get wether it's $500 or $1000