Porridge with water not milk... opinion?

Options

Replies

• chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always make mine with a pinch of salt and then add sweetner or honey after. but then I'm scottish and porridge without salt is just plain wrong ;-)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Do you use porridge oats or instant porridge? The former should be made with water and the latter with milk as that's how instant porridge is made.

My dad - 81yrs and fit as a fiddle - adds a couple of tablespoonfuls of single malt to his porridge in the morning and once in the bowl, he adds a little milk and maple syrup. :tongue:
  • bexx03
    bexx03 Posts: 32
    Options
    Do you use porridge oats or instant porridge? The former should be made with water and the latter with milk as that's how instant porridge is made.

My dad - 81yrs and fit as a fiddle - adds a couple of tablespoonfuls of single malt to his porridge in the morning and once in the bowl, he adds a little milk and maple syrup. :tongue:

I use porridge oats :)
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Love the thought of the single malt addition... sounds like a Christmas day option! Not before going to work though.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We have always made porridge with water.

afik that's how it's made in Scotland

Add cold milk to the bowl after, which is where yoghurt fans can substitute.
    Scotland is about 50/50 - some make it with water, some with molk. Some like it salty, some like it sweet. Some still have a "porridge drawer" where they make it with water and salt at the start of the week and cut a slice every morning, but that idea REALLY turns my stomach!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    I've never had porridge with anything but water... I add a little honey, wheatgerm and cinnamon and it's great!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always make mine with water, and a scoop of protein powder mixed in after. The texture take a bit of getting used to, but it's ok.
  • Kimmy0905
    Kimmy0905 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make my 1/2 cup of oats with water first, then add 1/4 cup (depending on how well-cooked it is, I do it in the microwave) of full-cream milk. I can't be bothered to buy skim for me and full-fat for my boyfriend and I like the little extra flavour the full-fat gives me, makes me feel more satiated so I just have a really small amount. I skip the sugar/honey and just have a banana with it instead :-)
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-carrot-cake-oatmeal/

If you look around that site there are a million delicious sounding oatmeal recipes! I've tried something similar to the carrot cake one with shredded carrots, some spices, agave nectar, pecans and raisins and it was awesome! I usually have blueberries or bananas with some hemp seeds in mine with a side of veggie sausage for extra protein.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just water for me and nothing else added. It all has too many calories!

Having said that, I don't even allow myself porridge anymore.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Erm, why don't you just try it and make up your own mind?
    I make mine with water and a chopped banana :)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it tastes just fine once you're used to it.

Personally I use low-fat milk, I don't eat a lot of dairy in general, so at least this way I get some calcium. We need to look after our bones!
  • farahsaleem
    farahsaleem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cook it with water first, then add bit of milk.. tastes great..
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just water for me and nothing else added. It all has too many calories!

Having said that, I don't even allow myself porridge anymore.

Why won't you "allow" yourself porridge anymore?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Oats soaked in apple juice is m favourite new breakfast. Its fine hot, but is AMAZING cold. I add dried fruit, seeds, grated apple, maybe yoghurt. Theyre delicious.
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    We have always made porridge with water.

afik that's how it's made in Scotland

Add cold milk to the bowl after, which is where yoghurt fans can substitute.
    Scotland is about 50/50 - some make it with water, some with molk. Some like it salty, some like it sweet. Some still have a "porridge drawer" where they make it with water and salt at the start of the week and cut a slice every morning, but that idea REALLY turns my stomach!

^^This. I love it with milk, I've been using almond milk lately and it's just as nice :) Couldna imagine having it salty :s
  • VirginiaWoof
    VirginiaWoof Posts: 147
    Options
    i make it with water and then bake the crap out of it! my porridge is kind of 'set' in the bowl. It tastes amazingly oaty.

I usually chop a banana on top or use almonds and peach fromage frais....heavenly.
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have porridge with water every day, really I can't taste the difference / prefer it. Go for it!

I agree with KPnuts porridge and peanut butter is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Water with a dash of salt and a tablespoon of honey! Yum!
  • yardiechick1276
    Options
    Almond Milk had very little calories and it tastes great