extra virgin olive oil

Options
im gutted just eating my lunch as im going to gym for couple of hours and didnt want to go on full belly.. anyway i had like a chicken stir fry thing lol .. chicken , peas , mixed veg , mushrooms , low fat philadelphia , and then the scary ingredient '' chilli - infused extra virgin olive oil which was like 300+ calories but i always thought oilve oil was good :( . so what do u use to stop food from burning or do i still use this and just workout more xx

Replies

• rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I always thought that was good for you too...who knew? My suggestion would be to continue using it, and just burn it off working out....:-/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how much did you use ? a tablespoon is maybe 135 calories which is enough for a stir fry.
  • lisadonachie1
    Options
    lol well i didnt realise how high in cals it was maybe 3 table spoons purely cause i thought it was good :) opps x
  • lisadonachie1
    Options
    yea im with you but make sure i only put 1 tablesppon in lol will have to go gym now after that blip x
  • polefitnutritionist
    Options
    Olive oil is in general very good for you because it contains essential fatty acids, but it's best just to stick to 1 tbsp at most when frying. A calorie is still a calorie regardless of where you get it from, and because olive oil is all fat, it's going to be high in calories.

Honestly, you don't need more than a tbsp anyway, at least I find :) But slosh it round the pan so it's all coated XD
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    I always use the 1 cal spray for stir fries - I use the olive oil one because it's a good fat - just a thought to reduce the cals! x
  • lisadonachie1
    Options
    oh fab going to get some today thanks :) sounds fab 1 cal spray here i come :) x
  • mollyjb3
    mollyjb3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is in general very good for you because it contains essential fatty acids, but it's best just to stick to 1 tbsp at most when frying. A calorie is still a calorie regardless of where you get it from, and because olive oil is all fat, it's going to be high in calories.

Honestly, you don't need more than a tbsp anyway, at least I find :) But slosh it round the pan so it's all coated XD

like she said...fats a fat...olive oil is better than say butter for example because olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and lower in saturated fat, but it is still high in calories. Use it, but still measure! :-) Good luck!
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    i use frylight, the extra virgin olive oil spary. its only 1 calorie per spray and 10 sprays is always enough to cook dinner with. its no good as a salad dressing though
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer EV olive oil to fry light and use a table spoon of it, I also use sesame seed oil for stir fry now :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You can buy a gadget that sprays the olive oil in a fine mist. That may be enough to lightly fry vegetables.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

This. I always cook mine in extra virgin olive oil
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You can buy a gadget that sprays the olive oil in a fine mist. That may be enough to lightly fry vegetables.

I''m getting one of these soon
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    Someone mentioned the 1 cal spray as being no good for a salad dressing, which is totally right, it's not at all but I have found the best, no cal salad dressing to be flavoured balsamic vinegar - I have lemon or raspberry flavour and that drizzled on a salad is better than any calorie filled dressing I have tried!