New and intimidated

Options
beenisafe
beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
Hi, I joined MFP a few weeks ago as well as the gym. I dont have any friends so far as I dont really know anyone using it. I have wanted to make friends on MFP but was intimidated by some of the success stories. But some of you have helped me through personal messages and responses to my post which has encouraged me to come out. I really need ideas on how to eat more start and how to stop the late night snacks. ie biscuits with my tea.
Thank you for your support.

Replies

• Ildiko17
    Ildiko17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can add me as a Friend if you'd like. I felt very much the same way (and still do at times). But the fact that you joined is already your first success! I have found new snacks to eat late at night that are way healthier than my old choices, and if I am in the mood for something that has more calories, I make sure that I exercise more and leave room in my daily total for them. I too, love to snack at night while reading a good book or watching tv (after my daughter has gone to bed because that is my only "alone time"), so it would be very difficult to not have that time for myself. Since I enjoy this time, I decided I did not have to give it up, just make it healthier.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi bean! Regarding late night snacks, can you trade bisquits for a real fruit popsicle until you break the habit? It worked for me, I used to snack after 8:00. My advice, eat early, eat often, keep your portions down, and wean yourself from late snacking. Your scale will thank you ;) Good luck.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn how to eat more to lose more, I'm your girl! I used to eat very little, thinking that that was the way to weight loss, but have since "seen the light", so feel free to add me if you think I can help! :flowerforyou:
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The support here has been amazing from my perspective. I started my journey about 5-1/2 months ago on my own to prove to myself I could do it. Then I joined MFP and continued to go alone until I started reading all the success stories and other stories of people all trying to achieve the same ultimate goal. Happy to help if I can or at least provide feedback. Good luck on your journey.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I don't worry about the snacks so much (if you look at my diary I eat plenty of them and they aren't the healthiest of options), as long as they fit into your calories for the entire day. I pre-plan my days Mon - Fri for breakfast, lunch and daytime snacks, and dinner too if I can, and I always leave room in my diary for an after dinner treat of approx 150 cals. I just crave something sweet to eat between dinner and bed...
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would love to be friends with you. There is nothing to be intimidated by, we've all been there. We are all going through this together, and our job here is to help each other with support when needed and advice when asked. You will be fine and in a few day you will wonder why you felt intimidated at all, Kim.:flowerforyou:
  • boppinbadger
    Options
    Late night snacks are a problem for me too, I get in from dance class after midnight and am generally famished as I didn't have time for a proper dinner before going out. Yesterday lunch time I steamed some chicken to leave in the fridge which I then had when I got in, still not ideal eating before going to sleep but at least it was healthier than my usual stodgy carbs/chocolate based snacking :)
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I agree the more calories I pack on(about 1550) the more weight I seem to loose then eating 1300 or less(which left me with late night craving for food).... Even if I am not hungry between meals I grab a shake ( either slim fast or GNC lean shake) that way not only am I fueling my body, but I'm consuming enough calories and not over eating at the end of the day:)

What helps with my late night cravings???? Extra gum, tons of water and believe it or not oatmeal an hour before bed seems to work. Just play around with different things, and see what works for you

Don't be intimidated we all started where you have, and I know how you feel...Were here to help NOT judge or scare you.Good luck on your journey, and FEEL FREE TO ADD ME:)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I used to snack too much at night and I found that what worked for me was to give it up completely. I have a good sized evening meal and then that's it for the night.

What helped me give up was eating plenty at the evening meal, and then if I really did feel hungry later in the evening I'd have some hot milk (sometimes with some decaff coffee). The fact that milk is a fluid rather than a solid got me out of the habit of having something to chew in the evenings! Now I rarely feel I "need" the milk. I still have the occasional snack, but it's not a habit any more. I used to snack almost every night.

I know what you mean about the success stories. Some of them are amazing! But then, I've been reading these boards and see people who are not losing weight so well for various reasons, so I think there is a mixed bunch here. It also seems to me that some of the groups are less "confrontational" (too strong a word, but I can't think of the right one at the moment) than the main forums and so less intimidating. I'm new here too and I've tried other similar websites in the past, but this one seems to work the best for me.

Good luck!
  • myjoy2012
    myjoy2012 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am new too. I just wanted to get support from people who are going through the same thing. You can add me too and we can talk. I have tried losing weight in the past and it hasnt worked. But this time I am determined!
  • mamabosha
    mamabosha Posts: 22
    Options
    I can understand the feeling uncomfortable. When I first signed up, the age differences ( I am 46) and the fact that I really don't see folks as big as I currently am made me feel bad. I' ve since learned there are great folks here and we all work together for a common goal. Add me if you would like.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    its a journey worth taking, and that is fantastic you are starting ! I need lots of motivation to keep me going. Add me for sure :happy:
  • beachlover718
    Options
    I used to snack too much at night and I found that what worked for me was to give it up completely. I have a good sized evening meal and then that's it for the night.

What helped me give up was eating plenty at the evening meal, and then if I really did feel hungry later in the evening I'd have some hot milk (sometimes with some decaff coffee). The fact that milk is a fluid rather than a solid got me out of the habit of having something to chew in the evenings! Now I rarely feel I "need" the milk. I still have the occasional snack, but it's not a habit any more. I used to snack almost every night.

I know what you mean about the success stories. Some of them are amazing! But then, I've been reading these boards and see people who are not losing weight so well for various reasons, so I think there is a mixed bunch here. It also seems to me that some of the groups are less "confrontational" (too strong a word, but I can't think of the right one at the moment) than the main forums and so less intimidating. I'm new here too and I've tried other similar websites in the past, but this one seems to work the best for me.

Good luck!

i agree- my evening/after dinner snacking seems to be mostly habit- often I'm not even really hungry, just want something to munch on. sometimes i can just drink water and not snack at all, sometimes replacing something i love (microwave popcorn) with an alternative (air popped popcorn) is enough, sometimes if I'm really craving something (chocolate) I just go for it and make it work with my calories. Since I know I like a treat at night I try to plan ahead- I input what I'm going to eat the night before so I know how many calories I have to work with.

Also as previous poster mentioned dont try to eat under your alloted calories, this will backfire and hurt your weight loss efforts in the end.

one more bit of advice- take before pics and measurements! you'll be glad you did once you get close to your goals (sometimes your brain doesnt catch up to your body and doesnt "see" the weight loss. good luck! MFP is a great place to find support and friends :smile:
  • Kelsathebay
    Kelsathebay Posts: 34
    Options
    Id love to be friends just add me we all need the help and support keeps us going. anyone feel free to add me
  • Gemma1317
    Gemma1317 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't feel intimidated by the success stories, add them as friends and use them as inspiration :-) People on here are really friendly and full of good advice. Add me if you like and I recommend CJS3001 - she was my inspiration.