Casein or Whey?

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
Okay, so... I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to protein powders. From what I understand, whey protein is a "fast acting" protein that is metabolized quicker than Casein - which is a slower release type protein. Right?

Anyways... I don't work out too much (yet), and I don't typically use protein powders... I'd rather eat solid meals to fill me up, however, I don't think I'll be getting enough protein in my diet, and I want to maintain as much muscle as possible while I lose weight - especially while I'm not working out too much right now. Not only that, but sometimes I'm in the mood for liquid breakfasts or a shake for dessert... why not make it healthy and protein filled lol

I really like the idea of chocolate peanut butter, cookies n cream, cookie dough or cake batter flavored proteins, so I've been looking around for different proteins and was wondering what the differences were between them, and which might be best for me?

Also... what are some GOOD TASTING proteins? And which ones MIX WELL?

Thank you all in advance!

Love and Alohas,
Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk Chocolate flavored powder. I make it into a milkshake after my workouts as a super yummy treat.

Combine the following in a blender and blend to the desired consistency:
    10-12 ounces of 1% milk (you could use water or some other substitute I guess. I just prefer milk)
    2 scoops of powder (this gives you 32 grams of protein)
    a handful of ice (usually 6-8 cubes)

Tastes amazing and not very "proteiny"
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For what you described, whey is probably the better choice. (and universally better tasting, according to everyone I know and all the reviews I have read) Whey also mixes much better, in every brand I have used.

For flavor, I like Optimum Nutrition or Jay Robb. Both are excellent.

edited to add:

protein powders don't do anything you can't do with regular food, except work faster... another reason the whey would be my choice if I had to pick one over the other.
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    You are correct about the difference between casein and whey. I have tried both and I prefer casein to whey, in terms of consistency and flavor. I like the chalky, milky taste it has. I think whey is more "cheesy" and a finer powder. I don't like it.

I have some whey left, it is a strawberry flavor. I chose fruit-flavored protein powders because after a while, "chocolate" or "double dutch" doesn't taste real. Fruit flavors usually taste real. If you are looking for whey, try Nectar protein (google it). They have a wide selection of flavors. If you are thinking about casein, I have only tried optimum nutrition and didn't like it very well. I tried several flavors. I would be interested in what others have to say about casein.
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!
    I love Muscle Milk Chocolate flavored powder. I make it into a milkshake after my workouts as a super yummy treat.

I heard muscle milk was pretty good.. does the powder taste better than their pre-bottled stuff? Cause I know some things you make at home doesn't taste quite like the already made stuff, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad lol But I like the 32g of protein!

You are correct about the difference between casein and whey. I have tried both and I prefer casein to whey, in terms of consistency and flavor. I like the chalky, milky taste it has. I think whey is more "cheesy" and a finer powder. I don't like it.

I have some whey left, it is a strawberry flavor. I chose fruit-flavored protein powders because after a while, "chocolate" or "double dutch" doesn't taste real. Fruit flavors usually taste real. If you are looking for whey, try Nectar protein (google it). They have a wide selection of flavors. If you are thinking about casein, I have only tried optimum nutrition and didn't like it very well. I tried several flavors. I would be interested in what others have to say about casein.

Oddly enough, I've never tried fruit flavors... I always thought THOSE would be the flavors to taste less like what they really are lol I'll definitely give it a go.

Thank you for your replies! :)

Anyone else have any recommendations??
  • iKapuniai
    Options
    protein powders don't do anything you can't do with regular food, except work faster... another reason the whey would be my choice if I had to pick one over the other.

That's true... that's why I never really invested more than $20 for a good quality protein, cause I'd rather have solid food anyway lol... but sometimes a shake sounds good, and instead of reaching for a real milkshake, I figure I could make a protein one instead.
    For flavor, I like Optimum Nutrition or Jay Robb. Both are excellent.
    Thank you!!
  • fatforthewin
    Options

Oddly enough, I've never tried fruit flavors... I always thought THOSE would be the flavors to taste less like what they really are lol I'll definitely give it a go.

Yes, that is why it took me so long to give fruit flavors a try! I cannot stand real fruit juice and I am so picky about fruit in general - it always hurt my stomach as a kid and I grew to dislike most fruits but after so long drinking chocolate flavors that tasted like sidewalk chalk or playdough, I decided it couldn't get much worse and I should "branch out" a little, lol. All the best and cheers!
  • kelciblair
    kelciblair Posts: 8
    Options
    Casein is actually EXTREMELY bad for you!
    http://www.defensenutrition.com/articles/the_ugly_truth_about_casein_protein.php
    Just thought i'd share...
  • ehalps26
    ehalps26 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    new whey nutrition (formerly known as IDS or Innovative Delivery Systems) cinnamon vanilla whey isolate
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like EAS Myoplex the best. It is 100% whey protein. The product said improved flavor. I have only tried the Vanilla but mixing it with almond milk was really good. It has a stronger flavor than some other powders which is what I was looking for. They do have other flavors like Cookies N' Cream too but I have not found one in the store.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would put this out there, I think there's a place in the diet for both, depending on what you want from it.

Whey stimulates protein synthesis
    Fast-digesting whey means it is emptied from the stomach quickly, resulting in a rapid and large increase in plasma amino acids. This translates into a quick but transient increase in protein synthesis, while protein breakdown is not affected. Whey also has higher levels of leucine, a potent amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis. Whey protein is superior at augmenting protein synthesis rapidly, but this positive effect is short-lived. Consuming repeated doses of whey allows for sustained high levels of blood amino acids and repeated bursts of protein synthesis that provide superior effects on muscle protein balance.[1]

Casein offers a positive protein balance
    Casein is the most abundant protein in milk. It is relatively insoluble and tends to form structures called micelles that increase solubility in water. During the processing of milk, which usually involves heat or acid, the casein peptides and micelle structure become disturbed or denatured to form simpler structures. As a result, a gelatinous material is formed. This is the basis for why casein has a slower rate of digestion, and results in a slow but steady release of amino acids into circulation.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!

I heard muscle milk was pretty good.. does the powder taste better than their pre-bottled stuff? Cause I know some things you make at home doesn't taste quite like the already made stuff, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad lol But I like the 32g of protein!

I only drink the powdered kind. So I am not sure if the premixed is better. It's cheaper and more wallet-friendly for me to buy the big jugs of powder and mix it myself. But seeing as how I like the frothy/frozenness of the shake I mentioned earlier, I doubt I would like the liquid stuff.