Do You Eat Your Exercise Calories?

Options
Does anyone eat the extra calories burned during exercise. Should you eat those extra calories? I have my daily intake at 1,200 and this morning I burned 500 calories exercising. Any thoughts?

Replies

• PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat all calories back. or at least close
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do, but whether or not you should depends. Being on 1200 cals per day, probably, but you didn't give enough info to really answer the question.

Please search... this topic is covered several times daily.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    think of food as fuel. but this eating your exercise calories can be tricky. you really need to be sure that the 500 calories we think we burned is actually 500 and not 325 or 375 or whatever.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is that if you're using MFP the way it was designed, yes, you should eat them, especially if your calorie goal is 1200. Eating too little can negatively impact your health, and sometimes your weight loss. Fuel the fire to burn the fat!

** People who start out significantly overweight can often have success in the beginning with not eating the exercise calories. But as you get closer to your goal weight, it becomes even more important to eat them, as your fat reserves are depleted and your body can't rely on your fat as much for energy. So you will hear a lot of people saying that they never eat them and they're doing great, but those people are generally not near their goal yet. Needs change as your body changes.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I will eat back nearly all of my exercise calories. With a low daily calorie intake (1300) I find myself waking up hungry at night if I don't eat back the exercise calories. You simply need to be smart about what calories you are "eating back."
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat the 'extra' calories, because its just that much more that I will be losing, but at the same time it's a good way to 'sneak' something bad for you in without over-doing it.

It all boils down to how much/how quick you want to lose.

Edit: didn't notice your 1200 calories a day... at that low of an intake, to avoid upsetting your body and feeling fatigued early on in the day or your next workout, eat more... however it is a good idea to eat a decent amount of those calories shortly after your workout. I've found something like a clif bar (decent chunk of carbs with some protein) really helps with recovering energy and not going over 250 calories post workout, especially 2-3 hours before lunch.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I zig zag them, but I always get them at some point. I'm active and want to stay that way. When I don't eat my body is tired, when I'm tired I can't push myself, when I can't push myself I get frustrated . . .
  • raptor5k
    raptor5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Exactly what dave said. My best rule of thumb is to try and eat back half to 2/3 of the exercise calories back. that way I have a little cushion in case I really didn't burn as much as I thought, or whatever.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes you should. Your body needs those calories to fuel your workouts. So that's a big YES.

I eat most of mine back. Depending on how much I burned, I'm almost always within 100 calories or less of my net goal.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    More or less. You do need the fuel to make up for what you've burned. But I try to go just a tad under so on the days I don't get enough exercise in, I can eat a little more and not feel like I'm starving. I try to do weekly overall totals rather than daily so there's some wiggle room for special occasions (or if I just feel like indulging).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat the 'extra' calories, because its just that much more that I will be losing, but at the same time it's a good way to 'sneak' something bad for you in without over-doing it.

It all boils down to how much/how quick you want to lose.

or whether or not you want to plateau. not eating properly is one of the reasons people plateau.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do.

They're my most delicious calories.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i eat most of them back, and gain weight doing it.
  • TheNewDoug
    TheNewDoug Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info, first I am hearing of this.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I ate almost all my exercise calories, and easily lost weight and hit my goal right on schedule. I always left a small cushion just in case I overestimated my calories burn or underestimated my calories.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I zig zag them, but I always get them at some point. I'm active and want to stay that way. When I don't eat my body is tired, when I'm tired I can't push myself, when I can't push myself I get frustrated . . .

I love this response! "When I can't push myself I get frustrated..." Too often we aren't giving our body the fuel that it needs and then wonder why things aren't changing, why we're tired, etc. When we change the way we look at food (thinking of it as fuel instead of a reward) we change our bodies. However, I guess 'eating back' exercise calories depends on if you are looking to lose weight, gain, maintain... so it varies individually. And it will always depend on WHAT you are eating. If you're giving your body empty calories, it's a lose/lose situation!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine, then I go through the diaries of all my friends and for everyone who didn't, I eat theirs too.

I figure, if it's good for them to do it, then I'm just helping them out. Win-win!
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    I always make sure that i eat all my calories that mfp gives me and then when it comes to exercise calories i eat HALF of them back. At first i was not eating the workout calories back but was not losing weight as much but then when i started to eat all the calories it told me i could have and then HALF the excercise calories then i really started to lose the weight. I thinking eating back HALF of excercise calories is a good idea. Your body needs food as fuel.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    i eat most of them back, and gain weight doing it.

So do I. Because despite my best efforts (including measuring), I am probably underestimating my calories consumed and MFP and Fitbit overestimate my calories burned. I usually try to ignore the calorie bonus granted by MFP based on my Fitbit info, but occasionally I forget. If I did that every day I would surely gain weight.
  • TheNewDoug
    TheNewDoug Posts: 56
    Options
    I eat all of mine, then I go through the diaries of all my friends and for everyone who didn't, I eat theirs too.

I figure, if it's good for them to do it, then I'm just helping them out. Win-win!

THIS