Help! Chesty Gals/Runners

Options
I need some tips on sports bra shopping. After reading yet another thread on the boards, I decided to finally head to D-I-C-K's Sporting Goods and try some stuff on. I was disappointed that the expensive bras didn't seem to hold me in any better than my uni-over-the-head cheap sports bras :(

Am I supposed to try on a cup size smaller? A band size smaller? Everyone raves about these brands, but I didn't feel like they did much for me. I got frustrated with the try on process too since someone decided to secure the backs closed with the security tags (morons). In the end, I left empty handed.

I tried on various styles of Under Armor and Moving Comfort. :( HELP I don't want the girls to be saggy when I'm old lol.

If it helps at all, I normally wear a 34D in regular bra size. Thank you in advance for any help :)<3

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Do you have Lady Grace's by you? I have come to terms that I will never buy a sports bra at target or anyplace like that. Go to a specialty store. It will be more expensive ( but cheaper than a lift down the road!) They will really fit a bra to you and it will make a huge difference.
  • idohills
    idohills Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every chesty girl dreads sports bra shopping. I have been on the search for three years. I find that I can either have coverage or support, typically not both. I choose support. I wear Champion; however, UA has recently released a new high support line. They are "made for me" I think is the line name. The bras are colorcoded by cup size and they have band sizes also. I purchased one last week, wore it on an 8-mile run, and it kept me snug and contained with good coverage (i.e. no headlights). These are relatively expensive at approx. $60 each.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do you have Lady Grace's by you? I have come to terms that I will never buy a sports bra at target or anyplace like that. Go to a specialty store. It will be more expensive ( but cheaper than a lift down the road!) They will really fit a bra to you and it will make a huge difference.

I just looked up the store and it seems they are only located in Massachusetts, NH, and Maine. I'm in NY so that doesn't work for me :( However, there might be a similar store I could go to. I didn't think of looking into a specialty store. :)

I'm willing to spend the money on a good fitting sports bra, so I'd be willing to pay a bit extra at a specialty store if I can find one! I definitely don't want to be lifting the girls down the road :P
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    God bless this problem. Lol. :-)

My ex used to wear two of the cheapie sports bras. That seemed to hold the girls down. And, shes pretty breasty.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Every chesty girl dreads sports bra shopping. I have been on the search for three years. I find that I can either have coverage or support, typically not both. I choose support. I wear Champion; however, UA has recently released a new high support line. They are "made for me" I think is the line name. The bras are colorcoded by cup size and they have band sizes also. I purchased one last week, wore it on an 8-mile run, and it kept me snug and contained with good coverage (i.e. no headlights). These are relatively expensive at approx. $60 each.

I didn't try on the Champion line (they had it there), but I was too frustrated by the try on process by then. Not to mention sweating from hopping around like a crazy person in the dressing room to test them out! LOL

I did try on the UA line you are talking about (mine was orange! :P). I don't know if it was because I was already frustrated, but it didn't seem to provide more support than double braing some cruddy ones does now. :( I plan on trying on my usual bras right before I leave (or bringing them with me) so that I can truly compare.

Do you keep the size you actually are, or go down a size with sports bras?
  • morkiemama
    Options
    God bless this problem. Lol. :-)

My ex used to wear two of the cheapie sports bras. That seemed to hold the girls down. And, shes pretty breasty.

That's what I do now. :) I was just wondering if there was a bra out there that would do it better than double-braing. I thought maybe after reading these reviews that I could get better support from one of these lines. However, I was disappointed at the store. :(
  • artsyalice
    artsyalice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the moving comfort ones and am a 34DD. Have you been fitted recently? Are you sure you are looking at the right sizes?
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Did you try on the Moving Comfort "Fiona" It's holds better then their other styles. Under Armour has one that just came out, but I can't remember the name of the stye. Also Shock Absorber any style that is level 4.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what are you wearing over the sports bra? I'm not gigantic by any means, but I am a pretty generous 30DD-32D, and I never seem to have much in the way of issues. However, one thing I have noticed is that I usually wear a very (very) tight fitting t-shirt over the bra. I did a workout last week at home wearing one of my fiancés giant DIY t-shirts, and I noticed a big difference to overall comfort (all over the place!), so I think outerwear may be key!
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia, so can't help you out much on specific brands. But generally, first go for a bra with separate cups (not a crop-top style) and a cross-over/racer back. Wide straps are good too because they don't dig in. I like mine nice and strapped in so I do go a size smaller. Then I wear a crop top over that one, at least one size smaller than I'd normally wear.

It creates a crazy uni-boob but it does the job! No bounce whatsoever!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    the other trick is to go to one of the fancy places, get fitted, find what works for you and then go home and order it online. You can often find it cheaper. I once went the fancy shmancy place in Boston called Intimacy. I don't think they had a bra under 70 bucks, but man did they know how to fit you and get the right bra on you!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Before mine started shrinking I'd wear a Nike sportsbra and just not run :P When I started running I would wear a really tight swimming top over the sportsbra to keep things from bouncing all over. They are less bouncy now, both with shrinking and with getting some exercise in for the chest muscles. Definately recommend doing some heavier lifting for the chest muscles to get the boobs to behave a little better :P

(hope this makes sense )
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm a 36D who runs and I've resorted to just wearing 2 cheap ones at once. I don't feel like spending upwards of $60 on a bra, and now I'm so used to it that anything less than too and the girls feel a bit too free ;)
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    ahhh forgive my poor grammar

*anything less than TWO
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am pretty chesty myself (38 DD, and getting smaller :wink: ). I really like the Champion bras. They fit really well without hurting, but still keep you in place. I bought 1 to try when I first started, and have bought 3 more since. They are my secret running weapon!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just wear 2 regular sports bras
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I've had mixed success. I ran in the Moving Comfort Fionas for a long time- they were ok for me. Then I switched to the Moving Comfort Junos mostly because I wanted to be able to wear a racer back shirt for the heat. I like those a lot. I went down a cup size in the Junos. Definitely try them on though- I ordered another Moving Comfort model (the name escapes me) and it was insanely small- I gave it to my daughter.

Good luck.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36D who runs and I've resorted to just wearing 2 cheap ones at once. I don't feel like spending upwards of $60 on a bra, and now I'm so used to it that anything less than too and the girls feel a bit too free ;)

^^^^ Im right there with you! 34D here and two cheap ones work just fine for me!:flowerforyou:
  • laurenlac
    laurenlac Posts: 3
    Options
    I highly recomend this one from Panache http://www.barenecessities.com/panache-maximum-control-ultimate-underwire-sports-bra-5021_product.htm?pf_id=Panache5021&search= It is not cheap, but you can try to find a coupon code online.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    Thank you for all your help everyone! :)

I guess it will just be a process of trial and error. If I can't find anything that works better than 2 cheap bras, that's what I'll stick with. However, I will definitely look into the options people mentioned in here. :)