time constraints for a gym membership

Options
Having some success mostly due to light/moderate activity and watching food. However, I need to step up the exercise part. My wife and I do some stuff at home but a part of me thinks a gym membership might motivate me. There's one in the downstairs of the building I work in.

That said, although the cost is a consideration, it's the TIME that is the big problem -- with work, child care for 2 small kids, and my wife working too, I can't seem to find a time of day where I could realistically go. Morning is out - my wife leaves before 7, and I can't drop my kids off at daycare before 8. I start work at 8:30. I work until 6:30 and if I do after work, then I'll never see my kids before they go to bed. Lunchtime is hard in my line of work, since I have to be near enough to my desk to take an incoming customer call, that if I miss, means missed money...and having exactly one hour would be tight, since I'd have to change clothes, potentially shower, etc...and still try to eat something.

Am I making excuses? Or are these legitimate issues that some of you also deal with?

So...do any of you see a realistic option for this or should I step it up at home, and, any suggestions what/how to get a good overall workout at home (for fitness and health moreso than muscle building for the time being)? I don't have the money or space to buy "home gym" type equipment at the moment.

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with the whole time with my son part and going to the gym. But we make it work. I take him to the gym with me right after work (I'm off around 5, we're usually to the gym around 6), he gets to play in the child center which he LOVES--he even asks me sometimes "Mommy can we go to the gym today??" They take the kids that are old enough to climb on the rock wall once a week, and all kinds of stuff. So he really enjoys it and gets to be active as well. Then we're home usually by around 8ish, eat dinner, read a book, he has his bath etc...he's not usually in bed until 10, I'm typically right after him at 10:30.

Would I like to have my 5 year old in bed earlier? Absolutely. But this is what works for us right now. He gets plenty of rest, wakes himself up in the morning, isn't exhausted at night (he's ALWAYS trying to stay up later!), and we get to have time together, and I get to make sure he's being active and eating healthy foods right along with me. I adjust that schedule if he has a t-ball game or practice or something, but for the most part, that's what our weekdays look like. The weekends I have a lot more flexibility, and I usually take a rest day on Friday so we can do something fun when he gets out of school. That's basically the same kind of schedule I had with my mom growing up...my parents both worked full time and went to the gym every day too.

For me, a gym membership was essential. I won't work out at home. But if you have the motivation to do DVDs like p90x or whatever, and you'll actually do it, that's probably the most time efficient. I've tried that route and don't push myself enough to work out at home, so I know that for me, I have to go to the gym.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    Well my sons are 3 and 10 months...so in a few years your idea might work. Thanks for the input, though!!
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What time does the gym you are considering open in the morning? Could you go before your wife leaves for work? I go at 5am because it is the only time I can make it work.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have child watch times, except maybe really small gyms. If you have a local YMCA, check that out. They always have daycare and often times have great kids programs- swimming, crafts etc that you can do together on the weekends. Most chain gyms have child watch too like Urban Active, Lifestyle, Lifetime.
  • jessicakate329
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a 2 year old. Her dad and I both work. By the time I get home from work at 5 all I want to do is spend time with her not go to the gym. So I usually go around 8PM after she goes to bed. It helps that my gym is only 5 minutes away. I lose some time with my husband at night but neither of us mind too much. It gives each of us some much needed down time doing what we enjoy. I've tried going in the morning but I've realized I'll never be a morning person so I'm not even going to kid myself anymore. If all else fails start looking for a used treadmill online that you could use at home. Or take walks at night with your wife and kids. Good luck!
  • rockinright
    Options
    What time does the gym you are considering open in the morning? Could you go before your wife leaves for work? I go at 5am because it is the only time I can make it work.

Well, my wife gets up at 5:45. They open at 6. Even if they did open earlier, for me to work out and be back when she leaves, I'd have to get up at around 4...which means getting more than 5 hrs of sleep will be nearly impossible.

Once my kids are a bit older that will be much easier.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have young kids and work full time. My husband does, too. I can't make a gym membership make sense, either. But I do run at least 4 times a week, usually 3-6 miles at a time, almost always in the early morning. I haven't managed to start weight training, other than lifting two heavy preschoolers. But used weight sets are cheap on Craigslist--no more than a few months' gym membership--so you could incorporate that after the kids go to bed.

I actually have a small weight room at work (and showers) so as soon as I learn the basics of weights, I will start doing that here, too. Right now I'm in such a time crunch training for my first 10k that I hate to sacrifice a morning run for weights. But I will!

Anyway, I don't think that you HAVE to join a gym. It's totally possible to get plenty of exercise without it.
  • rockinright
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a 2 year old. Her dad and I both work. By the time I get home from work at 5 all I want to do is spend time with her not go to the gym. So I usually go around 8PM after she goes to bed. It helps that my gym is only 5 minutes away. I lose some time with my husband at night but neither of us mind too much. It gives each of us some much needed down time doing what we enjoy. I've tried going in the morning but I've realized I'll never be a morning person so I'm not even going to kid myself anymore. If all else fails start looking for a used treadmill online that you could use at home. Or take walks at night with your wife and kids. Good luck!

Ha ha ha ha!!! that's hilarious! I WISH my 3 year old were actually ASLEEP by 8. BEDTIME is at 8, but he usually flops around, gets out of bed, over and over, and it's usually 9pm before he's asleep.

We have talked about doing walks. I think it's a good idea and now that daylight lasts a bit later, we're going to try that.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It is hard to balance a family, house, work & social time. I have a one year old. A couple of days a week I wake up at 5am and go out for a jog. A couple of days I work out after my son goes to bed ~ I take out workout DVD's from my local library. This way there is no cost and I always have a variety. A couple of nighs I will also take my son for a walk with his wagon or in the carriage. On weekends I take my son to the park and we do a long jog.

Try and make exercise fun for the whole family. Taking walks, hikes or bike rides. Some weekends I just take my son out in the back yard and play our hearts out. We chase each other, roll around on the ground and laugh so hard that my sides hurt. But, we have fun and burn calories.

I also, do the little things like park my car away from my office so I have to walk extra 5 mins but, that is 5 more minutes of excerise.

Just remember to be flexible. It is hard to keep a workout schedule with young kids (I have missed many works due to my son not feeling well) but, there is always tomorrow.

Please feel free to add me as a friend for support.
  • rdirina
    rdirina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know what you mean when you need to be more time efficient at the gym, here's some tips to make you super fast after your workout, in the locker room http://rdirina.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/gym-essentials-and-suggestions/
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used to work 9 to 5 without taking a lunch break. Then I got hooked on the gym and go everyday for an hour (usually longer due to showering etc). I felt guilty not getting home till 6pm and only seeing the kids for an hour before they went to bed. Then a friend pointed out my kids would rather have a happy mum for an hour than an overweight grumpy one. It's a matter of priorities isn't it.
  • StarshipTitanic
    Options
    I am now a single parent, I have 2 daughters one is four the other 10, I have been managing to have a quick session twice a week early in the morning after I drop the youngest off at nursery, basically involves 9am get the bus to town, get in by 9.30 change quickly, start asap, do 30 mins 15 minutes bike/cross trainer, then 15mins different weight machines..I then quickly get changed make it out by 10.20 get bus home for 11am, then nip in for a quick shower (at home) then pick up daughter for 11.45. I am planning to start a college course so will have to see if my parents could look after the kids on a Friday night or such so i can at least get one work out a week, its a 24 hour gym at least, lol I will see how it goes :D I might have to go down the DVD route at night!