Quick question about shoe width

Options
AlyRoseNYC
AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
I have a very wide foot. The widest part measures 4". I am right between a 7 WIDE (3.81") and a 7 EXTRA WIDE (4.19").

Which to choose? I'm inclined to get the extra wide. But I'm also being told that the wide would work because the leather will stretch, giving me more room.

Any advice would be appreciated, since these are $120 sneakers! =)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Get the wide. 2 reasons, leather does stretch, and even more important, since you are trying to lose weight your feet will also see some size reduction and the X wide will be way too big when you lose the weight you are looking at losing.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    What brand? Although I have narrow feet, when I buy running shoes, I get them a half size bigger than I normally would. As your foot moves around during exercise, if the shoe is tight at all it can become really uncomfortable. I would personally go with the extra wide, and if they loosen up, you can always add an insole or thicker socks. Nothing's worse than too-tight shoes when you're trying to exercise! So uncomfortable!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It should fit and be comfortable NOW.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Get the wide. 2 reasons, leather does stretch, and even more important, since you are trying to lose weight your feet will also see some size reduction and the X wide will be way too big when you lose the weight you are looking at losing.

Good points as well. Dammit, now I'm conflicted lol
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    These are the shoes: http://www.zappos.com/new-balance-wx856-white-blue

I've picked these, because supposedly they are good for flat feet as well.

Aren't I lucky? Super flat AND super wide feet lol

ETA: Yes, I know they are the sexiest sneaker out there, but my current ones are KILLING my feet and knees. I get cramps almost immediately after putting them on =(
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wear a 13 EEEE, so I'm quite experienced in this matter. It is true that the leather will stretch in a shoe that isn't quite wide enough, but most wider shoes don't really have a wider sole, just more leather so it doesn't have to stretch as much. I would go with the wider shoe if you can find it, as long as your foot isn't sliding within the shoe. Extra room could cause a problem because of the rubbing while your foot is sliding around. Also, I think it is best to try on shoes mid- or late-day so that because supposedly feet tend to swell some as the day goes on.
    Just a note here, I've bought many expensive shoes and the one that I've come to appreciate and buy now is actually AVIA. I've bought $150 shoes, and my $40 AVIA's outlast and are more comfortable for me. I just wish I found them sooner.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    I wear a 13 EEEE, so I'm quite experienced in this matter. It is true that the leather will stretch in a shoe that isn't quite wide enough, but most wider shoes don't really have a wider sole, just more leather so it doesn't have to stretch as much. I would go with the wider shoe if you can find it, as long as your foot isn't sliding within the shoe. Extra room could cause a problem because of the rubbing while your foot is sliding around. Also, I think it is best to try on shoes mid- or late-day so that because supposedly feet tend to swell some as the day goes on.
    Just a note here, I've bought many expensive shoes and the one that I've come to appreciate and buy now is actually AVIA. I've bought $150 shoes, and my $40 AVIA's outlast and are more comfortable for me. I just wish I found them sooner.

You are able to find wider sizes in-store? I was assuming I'd have to buy online...
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was able to find some at stores. Specialty shoe stores, or even Famous Footwear if you have one around. However, I buy 90% of my shoes from ZAPPOS, I have a serious love affair with them that's been going on for almost 10 years. I bought New Balance from them for years, but they seemed to be getting even more expensive, and they were wearing out way too fast. I'm like a wrecking ball for shoes though.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for the wide. The extra wide would be too big, and if you're running or exercising in them...your foot may move around too much. I bought some running shoes recently that were a size bigger, thinking they were more comfortable than getting my actual size 6....but now I'm regretting it. They are too big for my foot and when I'm working out my foot moves around a lot.