How to make healthy meals when always on the go

Options
vlarr87
vlarr87 Posts: 11
I'm a single mother. 25 years old. And needing to loose a ton of weight! I'm counting calories, but I have some really bad days...
I'm working full time with a 10 hr shift. I don't get home until 7pm. And I need advice on how to find some quick healthy meal ideas.

Replies

• chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Crockpot! This is a wonder! Just give yourself about ten minutes in the morning (maybe a few more or less) to put everything together in the pot, and let it cook while you are gone to work. Try the search feature for crockpot recipes there are some really awesome threads out there. Good luck:)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I spend an hour or two every weekend making individual meals for myself. What I mean by that is, maybe one weekend I will make home made chicken noodle soup. And I make a ton of it. Then I package it up into individual portions and freeze them. I will pull out one or two during the week to eat. Then the next week-end, I will make Lasagna and portion that up into little indiviual servings.

After a couple of week-ends like that, pretty soon you have about 8 or 9 different heatlhy meal choices sitting in the freezer. Just pull out a few things at the begining of the week and you have home made goodness waiting for you during the week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Preparation & planning is key

On your day off; pre-cook chicken breasts & freeze them
    Use a crock pot - when shredded chicken is needed (casseroles, tacos, BBQ, etc.)
    Use a grill (I have a George Foreman) - I like to slice chicken up for salads

Pre-cut lots of veggies - store in baggies. Packing lunch is much easier when I can grab & go. Always have frozen veggies on hand.

Stir frys are a quick & easy meal

Foil packets - either grill or oven (450°) - there are tons of healthy "foil packet" recipes on Reynolds & other websites.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp?KeyIngredient=0&Course=0&CookingTime=0&CookingMethod=8&strCrit=&Step=Results&subStep=advSearch

Make a big pot of soup & freeze individual portions.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother. 25 years old. And needing to loose a ton of weight! I'm counting calories, but I have some really bad days...
    I'm working full time with a 10 hr shift. I don't get home until 7pm. And I need advice on how to find some quick healthy meal ideas.

- Pack a lunch. That allows you to control what you eat every day. I bring a sandwich, a bag of vegetables, some fruit, and a small container of nuts. None of it requires more than 5 minutes of preparation and I pick things that do not need refrigeration or heating.
    - On the weekends, cook a variety of healthy entrees and freeze them in individual-serving sizes. When you get home, grab some vegetables and throw a single-serving meal into the microwave. 5 minutes later, a home-cooked meal with just a few dishes to clean. If you've got a microwave at work, you can simply throw one of these in an insulated bag and it'll thaw out (but still be cold) by lunchtime. Nuke and eat.
    - Keep a few healthy, balanced frozen dinners on hand. That way, you know they are there if you run out of home-cooked food or just aren't interested. It sure beats calling for pizza delivery or going out, both in terms of nutrition and expense.
    - Stir-fry is a good fallback. Keep some frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts and some frozen veggies. Cook chicken, throw in frozen veggies and thaw them, serve with a little pasta, rice, or bread. Almost as fast as a frozen TV dinner, a lot healthier, and a lot cheaper.
  • vlarr87
    vlarr87 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I'm for sure gonna try and do that.