Rest between classes?

Options
So I just started taking strength classes at my gym (instead of walking on the treadmill or working out on the elliptical for hours at a time, which I hate!). I really have been enjoying the classes and have been going 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday). Monday class is all stength training, Wednesday is a combined cardio step/strength class and Thursday is a kettlebell class. I was thinking about adding a Tuesday kettlebell class to my schedule but I am not sure if I should keep that day as a rest day. Any suggestions? Does anyone else take only classes? If so, what is your schedule like? Thanks!

Replies

• dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you are working different muscle groups for each day of weights you should keep it a rest day. Otherwise you could injure yourself. Rest days are when the muscles recover, rebuild and grow. If you are tearing up the same muscle fibers daily there is no chance for them to recover or grow and become stronger. So if I were you, I'd make it a rest or just a strict cardio day. :flowerforyou:
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I generally do classes as well. My old schedule looked like this: MWF - Spin class, Tuesday was usually my rest day, Thursday a core workout class, Saturday - BodyJam and core, and Sunday - hiking in the woods. They took the Monday spin class off though for the summer so I'm going to have to figure out something else for that day.
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My strength training instructor recommends a day of rest! I go Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday mornings. But have you considered throwing in a cardio class on your rest day, like Zumba, or swimming laps, or just taking a walk? Best of luck! :-)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't add more resistance training. Either rest, or do cardio, yoga, pilates - something different.
  • RomaBella10
    RomaBella10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks everyone!