Hard-boiled eggs

Options
My hard-boiled eggs never cook so that the shell comes off cleanly! I always wind up losing half the egg because it is stuck to the shell. So I know this is something that is so simple, but how does everyone cook their hardboiled eggs? What temperature? How long? Thanks :)

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Throw them in ice cold water immediately after cooking. That should do the trick.
  • HelloNewYou
    HelloNewYou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just bring them to boil for a few minutes (3-5?). Then let sit covered for about 15-20. I take the shell off right after they are done cooking.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    get water boiling, drop eggs in and boil for about 15 minutes then the key is to "shock" them ..place them in a bowl of ice and cold water.. leave for 10-15 minutes and the shell comes off so easily :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Add baking soda to the water. I generally add maybe a teaspoon when I'm cooking eggs in my little saucepan. That helps. Put the eggs and water on the stove, and when the water boils cover it and turn off the heat and set the timer for 10 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, drain the hot water, and play bumper cars in the pan with your eggs to crack the shells. Immediately cover them in cold water, and let them cool for a few minutes. That should make them easier to peel. There's always that one chunk, and sometimes I get an egg that is just completely idiotic and won't let go, but usually I don't have many problems when I do it this way.
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've heard that older eggs peel better. So don't use the ones that you've just purchased-- try the ones you've had in your fridge for a few days.

I live alone and go through food slowly, so the eggs I boil have always been sitting around for a few days and I rarely have trouble peeling them, though I've never directly tested this against eggs I've just bought. I use the ice-water trick as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Add baking soda to the water. I generally add maybe a teaspoon when I'm cooking eggs in my little saucepan. That helps. Put the eggs and water on the stove, and when the water boils cover it and turn off the heat and set the timer for 10 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, drain the hot water, and play bumper cars in the pan with your eggs to crack the shells. Immediately cover them in cold water, and let them cool for a few minutes. That should make them easier to peel. There's always that one chunk, and sometimes I get an egg that is just completely idiotic and won't let go, but usually I don't have many problems when I do it this way.

Baking soda! There is an amazing video on Youtube or somewhere ..... a guy rolls the hard boiled egg on a countertop, pinches off just the top & bottom of the egg & BLOWS the egg thru the shell!

Cold water is hit or miss ...... I've had egg shells stick, even when I use ice cubes in the water.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, afterward let them cool in water for a few minutes before thinking about removing the shell
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    yup, the older eggs are much easier to peel. When I had my chickens, those fresh eggs were delicious,but awful to peel. Also using a teaspoon to get up under the shell and moving the spoon with the curve of the egg works...or you can try EGGIES...I have 6 sets sitting at home!!!:cry:
  • RomaBella10
    RomaBella10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks everyone for these suggestions!! Who would have thought I was cooking hard-boiled eggs wrong? :laugh:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've heard that older eggs peel better. So don't use the ones that you've just purchased-- try the ones you've had in your fridge for a few days.

I live alone and go through food slowly, so the eggs I boil have always been sitting around for a few days and I rarely have trouble peeling them, though I've never directly tested this against eggs I've just bought. I use the ice-water trick as well.

This is true. Use eggs that have been in your fridge a few days & peel them in cold water
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Simmer eggs that are at least a week old for 12-15 minutes. Immediately transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water, pour on a tablespoon or so of salt, and stir quickly. Retrieve an egg and tap it on the counter in several places to crack the shell. Squeeze gently to crack the shell more - you want it to be in a lot of tiny pieces. Peel the egg under running (cold) water and make sure you get the membrane just under the shell; if you can pick off one piece of shell, it will likely separate from that membrane. Then scrape a small hole in the membrane, and you can pull on it gently and get the rest of the shell off easily.
  • paulafs
    paulafs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try putting a teaspoon of salt in the water and then boil eggs. Also, cool them immediately in ice cold water. Good Luck!
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i put the stove on medium ish, put the eggs in, while the water is still cold, and leave them in for 15-17 minutes (itll take like 9 minutes or so for the water to come to a boil)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have those things from the infomercials that are like a plastic egg-shaped cup, crack the egg into that and the boil it. No shell, same outcome! I don't think they're very expensive either.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I put a little vinegar in my water?? not sure if it helps, I like to think it does, but I could be totally off whack
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, mine come out looking like they've been through all the World Wars :noway: :grumble:

sooooo instead of having to look at the pockmarked nincompoops i just peel em while they are UNDER ice cold water, in a bowl...

somehow...when you peel off the first bit, the water gets in and then peeling gets a lot easier!:drinker:
  • mgriffin10292009
    Options
    Go to walgreens get yourself that thing that they show on tv, where you crack the egg in the plastic piece and then close it let it boil for 20 min and take it out. its a hard boil egg, no peeling of nothing! its great! :love:
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Simmer eggs that are at least a week old for 12-15 minutes. Immediately transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water, pour on a tablespoon or so of salt, and stir quickly. Retrieve an egg and tap it on the counter in several places to crack the shell. Squeeze gently to crack the shell more - you want it to be in a lot of tiny pieces. Peel the egg under running (cold) water and make sure you get the membrane just under the shell; if you can pick off one piece of shell, it will likely separate from that membrane. Then scrape a small hole in the membrane, and you can pull on it gently and get the rest of the shell off easily.

This seems like a lot of work for an egg
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I crack it a little and then shove a teaspoon down in the shell. Also, there's a new product called Eggies. I bet you could get it real cheap on EBay
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My dad to ld me this: put the eggs in the water and then put it on the stove. Bring to a boil and set the timer for 8 min. When the timer goes off kill the fire. Let them sit there and cool- of ice then if you are in a hurry. I think it works wonderful everytime I try!