Couch to 5K?

Options

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic program! I'm a little more than halfway through, and just did my first 5k two weekends ago and had so much fun. I was a total non runner when I started and now I really look forward to the days that I get to run.

Oh, and I definitely second those who recommended getting good shoes. Get fitted at a running store if you can. I put that off for a while, but now that I have proper ones it has made ALL the difference.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting Week 2 and am really enjoying it.

I'm using the free mp3 files from the NHS website - here's the link you can follow to each of the weeks... http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Just got back from my first ever run in the rain... never thought I'd be saying this, but I loved it! :laugh:
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3 of Week 1. I am doing more than 3 days a week, but my plan is to repeat days in the week before I move on to the next week, so I am getting a work out closer to 6 days a week but also not doing too much too soon.

I paid for the Active.com C25K app on Android. I read all the reviews on the available apps and I thought it was best to pay the $2 for the original. My only complaint is that it's not continuously picking up my GPS, so even though it keeps me on time for intervals, the only way I know how far I have gone is because I have my neighborhood mapped out.

I have the luxury of my first 5K literally starting outside my apartment so I will be able to work up to the actual route before the big day in August.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love it! I went from struggling through the 30-second intervals the first week to being able to run a full mile in week 6.

My best advice is to go at your own pace. It's definitely taken me longer to get to where I am, but I've enjoyed it with no injury or burnout. And always stretch afterwards!
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh, anyone in their first week of this program, feel free to add me. Hoping we can help each other through it!!
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done C25K entirely on a treadmill?
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's how I got started and everyone else I know got started.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    doing week 3 day 2 today and loving it!

i am doing it on treadmill at the gym. i tried outside and didn't like it. to many things to concentrate on with my breathing, running, times and heavy city traffic.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Loved it and totally recommend it. I graduated last week and started Bridge to 10K last night.

I have NEVER been a runner until I started C25K in February...now I'm addicted.

Get a phone app. There are lots of them out there.
    Get good running shoes.
    Breathe.
    Don't go too fast!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options

Yes, I did...and I ran my first 5K at week 6 of the program outside. I was never a runner before.
  • rowebama
    rowebama Posts: 1
    Options
    C25K has changed my life!! I started it with a friend of mine and we started it 10 weeks ago. Every week I would think I can't do that, but somehow I always made it through. My goal was to be able to run an entire 5k. I can totally do that!! My first ever 5K is this Sat. My goal now is to run it under 30 minutes (which I did in a practice this past week). I have lost 28 pounds and have fallen in love with running! I HIGHLY recommend it. So many people I work with and go to church with have now started it because they have seen my progression! Definitely go get proper shoes!
  • whitneymws
    whitneymws Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    it's a great program - I used it years ago to back into running and occasionally use it now to increase my speed. Good luck!
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've tried and failed at C25K twice now, but that's more on me than the program. I need to take it slower this next time.

Do the first week and if it's really hard for you, do the first week again, and again. When you're ready, move on.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options

My first attempt months ago was on a treadmill, but I have decided that outside was better for me. It's more of a challenge because you are moving yourself, whereas a treadmill slightly propels you forward. I found it too difficult to constantly adjust the speed on the treadmill to stay with the intervals and/or not die running.
  • ambuney83
    ambuney83 Posts: 47
    Options
    I started it last week...and I survived! I am NOT a runner, have never liked it, but decided that I needed a schedule I would stick with and wanted to take myself out of my comfort zone. I modified the first week a bit and started running two minutes, walking two minutes for 40 minutes total. I was surprised I could run two minutes without wanting to die! I was feeling pretty good about myself when a girl got on the treadmill next to me and started running at an 8.2! I was plugging along at 5.5...haha. But, I reminded myself of why I was there, and that everyone has to start somewhere. I just keep telling myself a few more minutes, and before I knew it I was done! It feels amazing! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • jareno0919
    jareno0919 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the C25k program. Graduated last June. Ran my first 5k a month later. I've also completed a 1/2 Marathon since (but didn't run the whole thing) and am doing my second 1/2 this weekend.
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of this program. I have never (in my adult life) been a runner. Now I look forward to putting on my running shoes and pushing myself a little more each week.

I am a W6D1 starting Friday. *Still can't believe I ran 9 minutes straight in W5! Amazing. As others have said, I use to think I was going to faint trying to run 90 seconds straight.

Add me if you'd like. I blog almost daily about my runs and/or other programs I am getting into!

Laura
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    starting this today after eating two waffles with butter and syrup when i wasnt even hungry. so upset at myself... SO my punishment will become a reward.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

I am right now, but I like being on the treadmill. It's the easiest way for me to pace myself. And I can watch my trashy TV and turn it into something productive.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Entering week 9 (out of 9) and the program is great! Don't be afraid to repeat some weeks if you still find yourself struggling. :)