cooking brown rice...

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
Hi all,
so i bought some organic jasmin brown rice..
can you share your trick to cook this dang rice. I cooked it for over an hour and it still wasnt cooked. Im ready to give up cooking brown rice and buy it already cooked!!!

Help....

Replies

• MariaB1974
    MariaB1974 Posts: 14
    Options
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    How are you trying to cook it (Pot/rice cooker-boiled/absorption method?)
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Get a rice cooker. It's awesome and cooks rice perfectly every time.
  • seattlelite
    Options
    I use brown basmati rice, and in my experience, it's always a little chewier than white rice. But it seems to cook in about the same amount of time. I use a rice cooker. (Just one of the lesser costlier ones). I have read that soaking the rice helps shorten cooking time. I've never tried it though.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    After getting inconsistent brown rice results, I just cook mine in the oven now and it comes out the same every time. I use this recipe/method

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html
  • Aross83
    Options
    i was cooking it on the stove in a pan 1 cup rice 2 cups water.. Maybe a rice cooker is the way to go!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    i was cooking it on the stove in a pan 1 cup rice 2 cups water.. Maybe a rice cooker is the way to go!

Rice cookers do make it easier, a fairly cheap investment....maybe in the pot it just wasn't turned down fast enough so the water boiled away and wasn't able to get absorbed, it should only take about 35-40 min max. Good luck!
  • Aross83
    Options
    thanks! yeah i think i am going to try a rice cooker!
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I add at least 1.5 cups more water than required (1 cup rice, I use at least 3 cups water), boil it and then simmer it for at least an hour. If there is extra water, you can always drain it, but your rice won't come out chewy.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On the stove top you have to make sure its got a tight fitting lid. You don't want the water to escape through boiling.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Can you cook brown rice in any rice cooker? I have medium grain brown rice as its all I could get
  • MyrtleShackleton
    Options
    You will get the best results from a rice cooker that has a brown rice setting. I had a simple on/off rice cooker for years that was hit or miss with brown rice - sometimes too chewy, other times mushy. Two years ago I upgraded to a rice cooker with a brown rice setting and it cooks perfect rice every time. If I'm cooking at a friend's house where there is no rice cooker, I bake the rice in the oven in a pyrex dish. That works too!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Damn, mines just an on/off one, can't afford a new one right now. Will look at doing it in the oven or stovetop.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    thanks! yeah i think i am going to try a rice cooker!
    do it baby. I got one not long ago.. the rice comes out sweeet.. and you can steam on top. mm very cool
  • amelia2033
    amelia2033 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi :) yes, a rice cooker is best for rice, perfect every time and also keeps it warm until you use it.

Remember, brown rice always stays a little hard and crunchy compared to white... so much better for you.
    cheers
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Love the Alton Brown oven method....fool proof and perfect every time. I sometimes substitute broth for part of the water or add parsley, garlic or onion powder to give it more dimension and make a batch and a half or double it for later in the week, since I am running the oven anyway!
  • MiltWe
    MiltWe Posts: 3
    Options
    Look for rice by Lundberg. Many are blends. I like the Brown and Wild Rice mix. I have found that using a little less water works best for me when cooking brown rice. If there is water left over I just dump into a strainer to drain the excess. Brown rice is always a little chewier than any white rice. So, it takes a while to get used to it.

I like to stir fry brown rice into a pilaf using whatever I have around. Sliced almonds, apples, raisins, a touch of curry powder... Makes a nice stir fry with some chicken and asparagus. You can any meat, really. Whatever you like.

Here's something to try with any leftover rice. If you eat eggs, try mixing some left over rice (cold) with an egg or two. Depending on your likes, you can add some onion or scallions, salt/pepper, cayenne (my fav) and then make little pancakes with it. Nice breakfast alternative. Play with the seasonings as it tends to be a little bland. Almost anything could be added to this mixture.

Also, if you like wild rice you can buy it separately and add it to any brown rice you like. It's not really a rice at all, but adds a little character to the dish.

Cheers,
    Milt
  • Aross83
    Options
    cool thanks for all your help everyone!!