Porridge with water not milk... opinion?

Options

Replies

• BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just water for me and nothing else added. It all has too many calories!

Having said that, I don't even allow myself porridge anymore.

Why won't you "allow" yourself porridge anymore?

No. Waaaay too many calories.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've never made it with milk, I guess because my Mum doesn't make it with milk?!? I put a little bit of cold milk on the hot porridge and slice on a banana. I also put a little bit of cinnamon in when I cook the porridge.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you do use water make sure you're still getting enough calcium from the rest of your diet. Ladies are often low on calcium and it can lead to osteoporosis and fractures. Milk is a good source so even though there are extra cals they may be doing you good
  • ladyduddy
    ladyduddy Posts: 21
    Options
    I make it with water and add a little semi-skimmed milk or yoghurt on top once it's cooked and cooled a little. I often add some fruit before cooking - chopped dried apricot or chopped fresh apple. Apple is particularly delicious! Sometimes add a small squeeze of honey if I feel the need! hope you enjoy it!
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    I have never tried making it with milk, hmm. Water is just fine and good for me.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Always do make it with water, and a bit of salt when cooking.
    Put a wee drop milk on to cool it down before I eat it...delicious!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I do it and think it tastes okay but not quite as good. I compromise when I can and use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, it helps it taste creamier without as many calories as regular milk.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I do half milk half water and its good. Either that or all water, but enough milk powder to make it half milk if you get what I mean. Or, as I did this morning, all water, and some protein powder (with the particular brand I was using I used 1/4 of the amount I would for a shake with 1 cup of water).
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Really princessnikki? I find one serving to be quite a low calorie meal.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have never made porridge with milk. Allways used water. Then I just add a bit of greek yogurt and some fruit and nuts. Love it!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I got tired of making a mess in the microwave/stove so I always use water with a little salt. I love it. The trick is to use decent oats, otherwise yeah it comes out like paste.

My mom makes her porridge with soy milk and makes it in the microwave IN A GLASS PIE PLATE so it never boils over. My mom is a smart one.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I make it with water and add a tsp of peanut butter (salt and sugar free) and it tastes really nice. I do add a dash of milk to soften it when I eat it as I cook it the night before.

I think I will try this - sounds delicious! Thanks!
  • louisa_jay
    louisa_jay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup of water. I then cool it down with a splash of milk, and sweeten it with a teaspoon of golden syrup or brown sugar. It's lovely.

Also, it is less likely to explode all over your microwave if you use water. (I had many an exploding bowl of porridge before my mum told me not to use milk!)
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I cook it on the hob, always use just water and very often chuck in some raisins prior to cooking. I also like some sunflower/pumpkin seeds stirred into it after cooking, calories permitting.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No milk? You kill that unholy concoction with FIRE!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have oats, craisins and water every weekday morning. It's fine.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal with milk. Its so gross. I always use water.
  • 1234getgoing
    Options
    Almond milk is very good when cooked with oats. That is all I use. It is only 60 calories/cup.
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    I make mine with water, let it cool slightly, and then add one or two scoops of whey protein powder (they come in lots of delicious flavors) and mix well before eating. Lots of protein and energy before a hard workout.............nom nom nom
  • Bee1012013
    Options
    We have always made porridge with water.

afik that's how it's made in Scotland

Add cold milk to the bowl after, which is where yoghurt fans can substitute.
    Scotland is about 50/50 - some make it with water, some with molk. Some like it salty, some like it sweet. Some still have a "porridge drawer" where they make it with water and salt at the start of the week and cut a slice every morning, but that idea REALLY turns my stomach!

^^This. I love it with milk, I've been using almond milk lately and it's just as nice :) Couldna imagine having it salty :s

When my mum was a student at Edinburgh uni she did the porridge drawer to save money and time :')

I always make my porridge with water and lower sugar jam or cinnamon :smiley: