protien shakes

Options
I drink syntha 6 protien shakes. I tend to do use 2 scoops versus 1 and have 2 shakes a day. This eats up 800 calories of my 1300 per day and 60 grams of carbs out of my 100grams per day. I feel gypt at the end of the day and starving. Any suggestions?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to get rid of 1 of the shakes and have a meal that requires you to chew instead?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to get rid of 1 of the shakes and have a meal that requires you to chew instead?

I would agree with this if you are still wanting food at the end of the day and you can't fit it into your macros because of the shakes. Is there a reason you feel you need the two shakes a day?
    Personally I have one on lifting days straight after working out, but if I was having trouble fitting in enough food around it it would be the first thing to go.

ETA: Or a lower calorie shake, thats quite a high cal one by the sound of it.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe use 1 scoop in each of your shakes and have a 400 calorie snack or small meal? For me, I've found decreasing my carbs a bit and increasing my fat (though the calories stayed the same) helped me feel satisfied and not at all cheated or hungry.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya..actually eat food..there is no need to intake that much protein..you should be getting plenty from your daily diet if you are eating properly..properly is a well rounded diet..with veg/fruits/whole grains/healthy fats/.etc
  • Gymboreee
    Gymboreee Posts: 23
    Options
    Get optimum nutrition (or similar) its a lower calorie powder. Drink syntha 6 in the morning since it has casein protein and it will be broken down through out the day. Drink they whey protein directly after your workout. mix both of them with water for minimum cal. If your workout/cardio session is early in the morning like first thing drink your syntha for your post workout and your whey later on. on rest days only have one syntha 6 and no whey. Like someone already said have a well rounded diet and get your protein from foods you don't need that much protein.
  • Sclason
    Sclason Posts: 20
    Options
    I went in and did this professional health and fitness anylisis thing and they told me I need 126g or more of protein. Which I struggle with if I don't drink the protein shakes!
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey,
    maybe take a look on other Powder. 13g Carbs per 40g is a bit too much for just Protein. It´s a bit like a muscle gainer for Pro Athlets. There are others with 2 to 5g per Drink.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    yes, get a low carb shake! It's really annoying, but you'll have to check many labels to find something good out there... no matter what the packaging looks like, there's often a lot of stuff in there that shouldn't be. Maybe look for something low-fat, low-carb with mostly whey isolate (not the cheaper concentrate... this is what they mostly use to make more profit). Also good to check what kind of sweetener they use... it's not really that good to use the ones that containe Aspartame and so on.
    Best of luck searching!!!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You could switch protein powders, there are so many choices out there, most between 120-150 calories per scoop with 22-30g protein.

I use Now natural unflavored, 1 scoop = 105 calories, 25g protein 1carb.
    or optimum nutrition
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Look into Protean by iforce nutrition. The flavors are fantastic and the macros are much better than the BSN. Others to look at are trutein by trunutrition and dymatize elite gourmet and elite xt. I generally rotate through these brands. The Dymatize will be cheaper.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Just had a thought, you are essentially having four protein shake servings a day, most brands reccomend that you do not exceed 2-3. If I were you I would start having 2 one scoop shakes a day, or 1 two scoop shake, use the extra 400 calories to eat some protein rich food, solving both your problems of not getting enough protein and not being full.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    By "gypt", do you mean "hungry"? Help me out here.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You really only need one protein shake and you should use the amount recommended. If it says use one scoop, use that and no more. You're not helping yourself in overdoing. Prepare yourself two or three good meals with protein, good carbs and fat and you won't feel like you're running on empty. The shakes should be supplements. And, in many cases, you can use one as a base for an actual meal. But I wouldn't do that often. I have one for breakfast that has about 400 calories in it. But it has everything that makes a meal in it and lasts me for hours.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's alot!! I started to use my husbands and I love it. It's met-rx ultimate whey and I get the peanut butter cup. It's 110 cals, 22 g protein, 2 carbs and 1 g sugar. With a cup of milk this is all I need to supplement.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    You could buy egg whites, they're low-cal & high protein & filling! (125cal is 20g of protein for some brands)
    Protein shakes shouldn't be the base of your diet...maybe have 2 scoops/day instead of 4 & eat egg whites instead
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    if you're using the syntha 6 i am thinking of, it is techincally considered a meal replacement powder because of the amount of fat and carbs it contains. Check the label-- try a JUST protein powder, I use Optimum Nutrition gold standard, it's 24 proteins and negligable carbs and fats. That should reserve plenty of calories for you to actually chew. :)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Try chicken, eggs, egg whites, beans - all great sources of protein.... and u actually get to eat.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Try chicken, eggs, egg whites, beans - all great sources of protein.... and u actually get to eat.

This. It's about balancing your day out and choosing the right foods and you can achieve it. I still have my shake and night snack to go but I'm already at 100 g of protein on the day; all food based.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the protien shakes and switch to SHAKEOLOGY...it comes with great recipes...I'm not a beach body coach...It is a great product :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP are you vegetarian?