Avocadoes high in calories?

Options
I love avocadoes. Especially in this summer season, however, I noticed they are rather high in calories. If I eat one, I don't want to just eat half, I want to eat a whole one. And even a small one is 280 calories. I know they have fat, but it's mononsaturated fat, so that is good for you.

Can anyone break down if it's okay to add these high calorie/high fat fruits into our diet? Do we have to eat less calories through the day to make up for it? (which doesn't seem right with something so healthy for you.)

Replies

• bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I love them too. But calories are calories, so if you want to lose weight you have to count them all and stay in your range. It doesn't seem fair, you're right. I want to eat the whole avocado too, but usually eat only half because I want to eat other things and a decent amount of things throughout the day. You will either get used to half or cut the calories out elsewhere. Good luck! :-)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Yes, and it is def good to eat them, any fruit, veggie is good for you.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're high in fat and calories, but they're the RIGHT kind of fat and calories. Eat them. Count them in your diary. Calories are not the enemy. You need to have the right amount of them in order to be healthy. So if you're going to consume calories, get those calories from whole foods like avocadoes, so that you're also getting good nutrition along with the cals.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just a matter of how you choose to "spend" your calories I suppose.

As far "good fat" and "bad fat" goes, I am equally bothered by my gut regardless of whether it came from pizza & french fries or raw nuts & olives...
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're high in fat and calories, but they're the RIGHT kind of fat and calories. Eat them. Count them in your diary. Calories are not the enemy. You need to have the right amount of them in order to be healthy. So if you're going to consume calories, get those calories from whole foods like avocadoes, so that you're also getting good nutrition along with the cals.

This^

Also, fat is not the enemy!! You'll probably find you stay way more full with 300 calories worth avocado than 300 calories with of whole wheat bread.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

This^

Also, fat is not the enemy!! You'll probably find you stay way more full with 300 calories worth avocado than 300 calories with of whole wheat bread.

Agree with both here. Even if you end up going over on your fat for the day, if it's from healthy sources such as avocado and the like I wouldn't stress over it if your within your calorie range.
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    Agreed! Eat them and count them! My doctor actually encouraged me to eat them daily to help reduce my bad cholesterol! And they are oh-so delicious!!! :tongue:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I eat them daily. Nom nom nom

They are good for you, so what they are higher calories and have fat than other fruits.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This^

Agree with both here. Even if you end up going over on your fat for the day, if it's from healthy sources such as avocado and the like I wouldn't stress over it if your within your calorie range.

YES YES YES.
    My favorite breakfast? 2 eggs cooked in 1tsp coconut oil topped with 1oz full fat REAL cheese (not American or low fat, or fat free) topped with guacamole.

Or... cut an avocado in half, take out the put and some flesh... crack an egg into each half, bake in the oven and top with cheese until melted.

Heaven!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 2 per week and dont have any problems with weight gain
  • danielle63026
    Options
    I LOVE avocadoes! When I eat them I don't feel guilty if I go over my calorie goals because they contain really healthy fats :)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat them, love them. They're really a win/win with the right kind of fats and carbs and a great way to keep you from whining that you can't figure out how to get enough calories in your diet. Fats are just as essential in a healthy diet as carbohydrates and protein, so enjoy!
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have this where you live but my grocery store carries a product called Wholly Guacamole....it is sooooo good and comes in 100 calorie packs too. Love it!!
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Avocados are great for you. You need good quality fats in your diet and avos provide them. I eat them a lot. You daily fat intake should be about 25 - 30% of good fats. Good fats actually help you lose weight. Bad fats (transfats, poly and mono unsaturated) should be minimized. Other good fats are nuts, olive oil and fatty northern fish like salmon and mackerel. Eaten in the correct amount, you are doing yourself a lot of good.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options

^^^ Dead-on :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I ate two today (quesadilla for lunch and enchiladas for dinner) and was still well within my calorie limit. I freaking love avocado. :love: I might get some flack for this, but if you like something and can work it into your macros, why the eff not? Also, they are good for you, just in case that makes you feel better.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

This!

I love them too. I have switched from eating an entire one to 1/4 of one. I mash it with lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Kind of guac but not. the few bites help. Also, wonderful with havarti cheese.
  • ciaoella
    ciaoella Posts: 10
    Options
    Good fats actually help you lose weight. Bad fats (transfats, poly and mono unsaturated) should be minimized.

Wait. What? Polyunsaturated fat & monounsaturated fat are GOOD fats, dude. In fact, they're the fatty acids that are found in avocados, olive oil, fish, krill, flax, nuts, seeds, etc. etc. Well, mostly. There are some polyunsaturated fats that are not ideal/damaging in large quantities like the omega-6's.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! amazing. A lot more replys than I thought, and they all made sense.
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I so want to start eating Avocados, but I don't know if I will like them. What are some good ways to eat Avocados?