scared to death

Options
Ok, so Im scared to death. My 1st 5K is coming up saturday. I am no-where ready, and I know I'll be walking most of it. But, Im doing it. Im so nervous about it. Im to old, Im to big, Im to out of shape, etc. (Ive been working with a trainer 3X a week since November) But, all of these things Im working on. Well, almost all of them, I cant do a thing about the age. Wish me luck. I need all the support I can get. I will be happy just to finish. Im scared that I wont be able to finish, even though, I know I can walk it, and not even think twice about it. But, running, is another story...........

And yes, I know Im regardless how I do, I'll still do better than the person thats still sitting on the couch, but right now, thats not really helping my panick. WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR THIS?!?!?!?!?

Replies

• sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just think how great you'll feel if you finish running all the way. And just think how great you'll feel if you have to finish walking. Either way, it's an accomplishment you can be proud of. Just being willing to try something you're afraid of puts you in the major leagues.
  • CatzMe67
    CatzMe67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The best thing is that you are doing it! Walking or running, finish with your head held high. You'll be more motivated than ever before when you are done. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • Kstodola1
    Kstodola1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You will do great! I have been "running" for 3 years now and still do a 1/1 split. Run 1 min, walk 1 minute. I hold a gym boss in my hand. Go EASY out of the start...very easy to get caught up in everyone's excitement. That's another reason why I like the intervals. Check out galloway's run/walk method, books, podcasts...Olympic runner still running marathons should know something. Let me know how you do!
  • Danielle2344
    Options
    You can do this! 5k's really aren't bad and if your goal is to finish, then there is no shame in walking the entire thing. I see tons of people who never run at all at a 5k and that is okay. I agree with the others on here, don't push yourself too hard to start off with. Set your own pace, don't go by someone else's. The last 5k I did, I didn't walk/run with anyone else, so I could set the pace I wanted to go. If I wanted to run, I ran, if I felt like I needed to walk, I did to catch my breath. One of the "games" that I played while doing it was "Okay, there's a pole up there, I'll run to the pole & then let myself walk for a bit". It worked for me!

Good luck!! And most of all, enjoy yourself! :)
  • Zia00
    Zia00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will be suprised how you do. My first 5K I was worried that I would have to walk the whole thing and ended up running alot of it and yes go easy at the start. Be proud of your accomplishment and enjoy it!
  • CrystalMich3ll3
    Options
    Congrats on wanting to do a marathon! Running, walking, jogging, etc. When you finish you will feel great because you can honestly say YOU accomplished a marathon! Go for it! We are all rooting for you!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Be sure to poop completely before the race. Have fun!
  • mabupi
    mabupi Posts: 15
    Options
    Be sure to poop completely before the race. Have fun!

Bahahahaha! Literally lol'd. And to the original poster, don't take it too seriously. This will be a great starting point so that NEXT time you sign up for a 5k you'll have a new goal to shoot for...just to beat your time on this one! Good job pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone!
  • annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    You are not too old for this. I bet you will surprise yoursefl with how well you do. My advice is this, whenever you start thinking "OMG everyone is passing me" and getting panicky and tempted to turn around to see if you are last, say to yourself "I am running my own race" - do not waste energy on berating yourself, panicking or turning around to be sure you aren't last. Good Luck and let us know how you did
  • loragp
    loragp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    5K races really are a lot of fun. It's natural to feel nervous,scared, unsure of your abilities and like your stomach is filled with butterflies. In fact, my first 5K race was several years ago (and I've run a couple of dozen races since including two 1/2 marathons) and I still get nervous with a stomach full of butterflies before every race. If I could offer any advice it would reflect what a couple of people have already said: start out slow. It is super easy to get caught up the excitement following everybody else's pace and take off like a rocket. Slow and steady wins the race...or at least finishes the race. :laugh:

I wish you much luck and remember that you are running this race for you and nobody else.
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am overwhelmed at the support!!! I'll be sure & post how things go. I dont think I can even begin to describe how much all the support here means to me!!!
    Thank you!!