Earned exercise calories

Options
Hello MFP Family,

Everyday I workout and I earn at least 300-400 additional calories to eat, now I try to eat all of my original goal calories that I start the day out with but I don't always eat the additional calories that I earn after my workout, is that a bad thing? I know you have to eat to lose but does that mean the exercise calories as well? Please help, tell me what you all think.......Happy Losing

Replies

• HollandKAvetisian
    Options
    Hello-Yesterday a trainer told me that regardless of what how many "extra" calories you earn from exercising you must not ever eat less than 1200 calories a day. If you do so you will mess with your metabolism, which you do not want to do!
  • Mellowmar98
    Mellowmar98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No its not a bad thing at all as long as your eating 1200 calories because if your not you go into starvation mode and wont loose anything. I sometimes eat the calories back sometimes I dont, just depends on my day.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i agree that 1200 is the MINIMUM for nutrition, etc. I think it's good to eat exercise cals because if you get too crazy you *can* (IMHO) go into starvation mode (say you work out 1000 cals eat 1200 cals, only net 200 cals = bad news)....
    However, i see no need to force feed yourself if you just aren't feelin' it.

So think of it as you can, and maybe you should, but it's not the end of the world either way.

For the record, I went from "obese" to 123 lbs eating my exercise cals.
  • DaveEC42
    DaveEC42 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was recommended by my Nutritionist to eat back most of the calories I burn off (but not necessarily all). I usually eat 2 calories for every 3 I burn (and I burn 300-400 on average on an exercise day at the moment, so that's 200-280 or so that I eat in extra). I think the key is that you want to maintain a healthy caloric deficit, so if you exercise a lot and don't eat anything to make up for it, as said above, you might not have enough calories for the day.
  • misstangieb2012
    misstangieb2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this advice guys. This really helps me a lot.
  • wmhjonesiv
    wmhjonesiv Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello, It's ok that you don't always "utiize" those extra calories earned. You may actually get to your goal weight a little faster by sticking to your base calories and going a little over each day. I think when you get to a point that you are going over by 500 cals or so per day, you will need to eat a little more so that your body can recover better. Good luck!
  • misstangieb2012
    misstangieb2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's the type of results I'm looking for. I guess it's kind of scary when you think you should be losing weight yet you eat so much, even though it's healthy food. Or maybe it just seems like so much to me.I'v always heard eat less, exercise more to get results but I'm learning from so many people on this site that you have to eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours and exercise as well in order to lose.