Foods heavy in protein?

Options
Looking for some yummy foods that are high in protein? I tend to be pretty picky but I'm open to all suggestions :)

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Lean meats are your best bet. Eggs. Dairy. Quinoa.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And greek yogurt. Plus a protein shake supplement.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    And greek yogurt. Plus a protein shake supplement.

Oh yeah! I used to eat a scoop of chocolate protein powder mixed with like a cup of Greek yogurt. Almost like pudding, and so good.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • Brandanna84
    Brandanna84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani yogurt, the blood orange is my favorite!
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options
    I don't like most meat, I love chicken, but I get bored with it. And I don't like the Greek yogurt with the fruit on the bottom, but a plain Greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder sounds amazing! I think I just need to start eating foods I don't like, cause I don't have many options with what I actually do like!
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options

Ooo im also interested to try the quinoa, people seem to love it!
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani yogurt, the blood orange is my favorite!

^This. I love blood orange, Chobani has the variety in greek yogurts I've seen.

Also, egg whites and most dairy products are loads of protein.
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge meat eater either, but I *make* myself eat chicken, lean steak, and tuna (REFUSED to touch it before this journey). The key is getting it to taste good. I add no-salt seasoning (Mrs Dash has some great flavors); I saute veggies in low-sodium sauces; I have at least one protein shake a day after heavy lifting. Keep trying new things! You'll find something you like.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    seafood? nuts, peanut butter, cheese
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The Oikos Greek Yogurt in Key lime is actually ORGASMICALLY good, lol. I eat it when I want a dessert..it's so yummy :) Just add a packet of truvia to sweeten it up.

String cheese
    Cottage cheese...very high in protein and low carb and filling :)
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I don't like most meat, I love chicken, but I get bored with it. And I don't like the Greek yogurt with the fruit on the bottom, but a plain Greek yogurt with chocolate protein powder sounds amazing! I think I just need to start eating foods I don't like, cause I don't have many options with what I actually do like!

:laugh: Yeah, I've totally been there. I used to HATE salad. Like, couldn't even bite into a leaf without wanting to vomit. But now they're a staple for me. You don't have to force yourself to eat foods you hate, BUT you can try them prepared in different ways. I also used to keep frozen cherries around. Put half a cup of them or so into a bowl and let them thaw, so they get all juicy. Then mix with a cup of plain Greek yogurt. SO stinking good. And if you like chicken, experiment with it! You can do almost ANYTHING to chicken and it's still good. Try it roasted, top it with salsa or your favorite sauce/salad dressing, cut it up into a salad, mix it with hot sauce and cream cheese to make a dip -- be creative! You can always go to www.allrecipes.com for ideas.
  • caitlinmcauley
    Options
    The Oikos Greek Yogurt in Key lime is actually ORGASMICALLY good, lol. I eat it when I want a dessert..it's so yummy :) Just add a packet of truvia to sweeten it up.

String cheese
    Cottage cheese...very high in protein and low carb and filling :)

I loveee the key lime oikas! I'm ok with fruit flavors just not chunks haha. That one is amazing. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, can't wait to go grocery shopping!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    lentils. 1/4 cup = 80 cal, 11g fiber, 10g protein
    eggs
    chicken
    ground turkey
    salmon
    tuna
    whey protein powder
    cottage cheese (Get the low sodium kind though because it can be high in sodium)
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

What about turkey? 4 oz. of Butterball turkey cutlets has 28g protein with only 120 calories.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Lean meats (turkey and chicken mostly), quinoa, egg whites, whey powder, chickpeas, spinach, asparagus (also a natural diuretic so go easy on it). I do a lot of recipe mods to replace ingredients with higher protein substitutes too.

My husband needs almost twice the protein and 1/3 more calories than me and SWEARS by a double scoop of chocolate whey protein shake (44 g protein) with 2 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter (8 g protein), made with almond milk (1 g protein).

If I'm not that hungry and don't have a lot of caloric room left but need protein, I make a shake with a single scoop of chocolate whey protein (22g) and 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (4g). I add a half a banana or some PB if I'm feeling crazy.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, beans, nuts, fish, eggs.......are some of my favorites
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oooh...I have NEVER thought of doing that! *makes a note*
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    I eat Fage 0% Nonfat Greek Yogurt with a chopped up banana and it gets me to 25g of Protein on top of that I eat a bowl of oatmeal in the morning and that rounds me out to 30g. After that I would say eat things you like that vary in protein. I have eggs with a small portion of sausage chopped up and mixed inside which is about another 15g of protein. Its surprising how quickly it can all add up. I always go over my protein limit for the day.