Cardio versus strength training

Options
wendi105
wendi105 Posts: 27 Member
I've been reading a lot of posts on here and see that there is a lot of advocates for strength training or weights instead of cardio. Since I've trying to drop about 10 lbs of weight or fat, I was focusing more on cardio with one day a week on strength.

I'm wondering if I should switch that? Can I still lose weight doing mostly weights? I want to tone up and build muscle too.

I am only able to make it to the gym about 3 times a week with 3 small kids and a full time job. so I was thinking I could do 2 days weights and 1 cardio session per week.

Thoughts?

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks, wat works for me is strength training first then cardio last...cardio would be 60mins long, even if I had to break it up on three machines for 20 min each, five to six days a week...be consistant...if ur gym has body pump, go for it..the rep affect is the best toning exercise :)

I'm not a beach body coach, but there's a program that they have, called Les Mills Pump...u will love it!!!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    One of the more prominent arguments I've heard recently was that, cardio burns calories while you're doing it, whereas, strength training/muscle building has an 'afterburn' that can last from several minutes to several hours after your workout. I've also read a suggestion that, if you can only work out an hour a day (however many days you can), then split it into two sections... half hour of rigorous lifting... then cardio.. the lifting will warm you up and get the engine running... and the cardio will sustain the afterburn...
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If ur tryin to lose fat, u need more then 30 minutes of cardio...
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Should never think "versus".

Do both, no shortcuts.

Edit: I do cardio, 30 min as warm up to 30-45 min weight sessions, at least four days a week. (Saturday rest day, Sunday hockey day)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Maybe you can do weights at the gym three times a week and cardio at home two days. Make sure you are eating the right amount as well. You wont lose weight or fat eating to much.
  • katnohat
    katnohat Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Actually, it depends on the intensity of the cardio. If you are doing HIIT, then you might only need 20 minutes, but if you are taking it fairly easy on the elliptical, you might need a whole hour. Intensity is far more important than the length of time you spend.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think a nice balance of the two is ideal. I was never able to get below 130lbs until I started strength training. I took a month off and even though I lost weight, my measurements stayed the same. Both are important.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Should never think "versus".

Do both, no shortcuts.

^^^ This

Cardio and strength compliment each other.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I would need to disagree with this statement... I've lost considerable amounts of fat with 30 minute increments of cardio. However, after I started losing regularly, I started adding in circuit training and yoga. I've found that the combination works best for me. But the first few months I lost consistently with just cardio and a modified diet.
  • wendi105
    wendi105 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Good advice. I am going to try and squeeze in that 4th workout a week and do both.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is 3-5 days per week of cardio and 2-3 days per week of strength training. My recommendation since you can only do the three days a week total is to combine your workouts. Warm up for 5-10 minutes, weight train for 20-25 minutes, cardio for 20-25 minutes, cool-down/stretch for 5-10 minutes. This completes your workout in an hour and makes sure you're optimizing your energy levels for each type of exercise. The weight training focuses on glycogen burning so that when you get to the cardio, the glycogen stores are lower and the cardio can be more focused on fat burning. Plus you get the added benefit of maintaining muscle as you lose weight and you get the afterburn of weight training.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    If you just have an hour or so for your work out, try 20 min of HIIT for you cardio, then as much resistance that you can squeeze in then another 10-15 min. Of HIIT with a short cool down/ stretch. Do this as many times as you can a week. But if you can't get to the gym, try to get in a few minutes of yoga, and some quick push ups. I also hoop at home, it is fun for me and my kids!
    I have been working out for months now, but HIIT changed everything! That was when I started to see weight come off, and more toning!
    And remember to keep your diet fairly clean.
    You can do this!!!!! Go get em'
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This debate will go on forever.

My personal experience, having spent part of my life as a gym rat, big time into lifting while doing basically no cardio; and part of my life trianing for marathons doing almost no strength training is that:
    When I lifted weights I coould consume mass amounts of food without repercussion. If I did gain a few pounds of fat, a small adjustment to my diet dropped the weight quickly.
    When running was my primary form of exercise, I had to more strictly watch what I ate in order to achieve fat loss and maintain low body fat %.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

no you don't.

HIIT is usually 20 minutes tops and works better anyway.
    And lots of people lose fat without ever doing cardio. I didn't do any cardio on my last cut and went from 181 to 165.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    You could continue losing weight with your diet and then gain muscle by strength training.

Especially if your goals are to gain muscle and look more ripped.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Losing fat is diet. Fasted cardio HIIT for 20 mins can assist with fat mobilization, while steady state cardio 20-25 mins can assist with fat oxidation however if the diet isn't spot, you won't lose anything.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options

If you have the energy to do more than 30 minutes of lifting or cardio, then you're intensity is too low. Obviously, there are many schools of thought around weight loss and working out. For me, I believe it's all the intensity of your workout. I don't have hours to spend in the gym, so I go as hard as I can. Also, you don't need to kill yourself doing it anymore than 3 or 4 days a week. Your body needs a day to recover and heal itself. I would recommend like several people here, that you do strength training, followed by a quick cardio session every other day. On the off day, maybe go for a nice walk just to stretch everything out.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I think strength training is better than cardio, but I advocate both and the ratio depends on what you want to accomplish.

I like running races, so obviously endurance training is key so I do lots of cardio. I lift weights moderately, probably just enough to avoid muscle loss, but ideally I'd like to build some. But its a sacrifice I had to make in order to improve my running.

I don't really think calorically there is much benefit in either one, because having higher calorie demands means higher levels of hunger / appetite to meet those demands. Its nice to be able to eat more, but you still have to work for those calories. People can still get/stay fat regardless of how much muscle they have.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Do burpees at home. It's a full body workout and cardio all in one.