please help!

Options
AHHH!
saturday was my weigh in day - and i didn't get the loss i was expecting.
i also don't track on saturdays (realizing this has to change).
so with saturday being my 'free' day i decided to have my mother's day dinner that day - since i could go crazy as i wanted without tracking.
and i did indulge greatly!
so sunday came along and we spent the day on a road trip and going to the beach.
i decided i'd have mother's day dinner AGAIN!
this one was greasy fish and chips plus some mother's day cake - not to mention snacks in between.
ugh!!
2 days waaay over points.
then yesterday i just didn't bother trying.
today - same thing.
i'm happy to say i am keeping up with my exercise and water intake.
but why do i let this happen with my eating?
it ALWAYS happens.
once i know my points are shot i just keep going out of control.
WHY?!!
i can't seem to shake it off and get back on with my good eating.

please - can anyone help me?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    AHHH!
    so with saturday being my 'free' day i decided to have my mother's day dinner that day - since i could go crazy as i wanted without tracking.
    so sunday came along and we spent the day on a road trip and going to the beach.
    this one was greasy fish and chips plus some mother's day cake - not to mention snacks in between.
    ugh!!
    today - same thing.
    it ALWAYS happens.
    WHY?!!

does your screenname have anything to do with your goal? If so, then I suppose your problem could be best solved elsewhere.
  • JustCallMeLucky
    Options
    I'm the same as you. As soon as I catch myself snacking I just say Ichll start again tomorrow. It's self sabotage. I don't know why I do it, so can't really offer you advice, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Maybe we can help each other stay motivated.
    Add me if you want.

Good Luck with tomorrow. :)
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    AHHH!
    ugh!!
    today - same thing.
    it ALWAYS happens.
    WHY?!!

does your screenname have anything to do with your goal? If so, then I suppose your problem could be best solved elsewhere.

my username has nothing to do with my goals???
    but thanks for your help.
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    Maybe stop with free days for a while, until you have more of an idea of what you're eating - at ALL times. Try logging foods in advance, too? Like, if you know where you're headed for the day, take a guess at what you might eat. Then when you do get to your mealtime, have a look back at what you guesstimated and try to stick to it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    AHHH!
    ugh!!
    today - same thing.
    it ALWAYS happens.
    WHY?!!

sorry. lots of ana / mia people on here with similar posts.
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with the same. I lost almost 22 lbs in a month and a half and then I got a stomach virus and my diet was ruined because it took me over a week to be able to eat normal. Normal turned into, well i lost 5 lbs from being sick soooo that means I deserve to indulge. Well I indulged for 2 and a half weeks and next thing you know 5 lbs packed right back on. I have had issues with my weight for most of my life. Before my daughter I lost 74 lbs on weight watchers. I will say that I have to stay on track for a long while before I can have those days of eating what I want. I know how important it is. I think it is a good way to feel like we are not deprived. However when that happens we know that our food is controlling our life. Like a drug addict almost. Eventually we can splurg a day here and there and get right back to our weigh loss. Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels. Trust me when you control your food and not the other way around it is a amazing feeling. I wish you success on this journey. You are not alone.
  • Linzrific
    Linzrific Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is stopping the sabotage and not buying into the "all or nothing" thinking. Each minute, hour, day, week is a new one, take it by whatever increment you need and go with it.

Most of the "issue" is in your brain - cognitively you let yourself do what you do. By changing habits and thought patterns we change our behaviours...even then, there are times when we still do it. Don't concentrate on the WHY so much as WHAT CAN I DO to make changes.

I've yo-yo'd all my life and it wasn't until I read The Beck Diet (hate the title) book and workbook and truly put a plan into place with coping mechanisms and support all around me (there are times we cannot do this alone) that my brain finally got it.

Do I still sabotage myself? Sometimes, BUT I track it all to help me be mindful and then I move onto the next minute, hour or day!

It's been 2+ years since I read the book and am needing to read it again as I've spent the last year "just not caring" but not liking the reflection in the mirror or the way my clothes fit. Finally, the light bulb went off (again) 2 weeks ago and I'm back it, day by day.

Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I indulge all the time, but usually only once a cheat day! Try to allow for your treat day throughout the week. That helps me out a lot. Every day is a strugle for me and I have been here over a year, but it does get easier! Promise!
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm the same way, once i'm off track, I use it to sabotage myself for the they day ... that's why I give myself splurges on the weekend, not a free day, because a free day will take me to a free weekend!! My splurges are usually at dinner time or a brunch, it helps me keep focused. I still have my moments, so any other suggestions will be helpful ...
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    Maybe stop with free days for a while, until you have more of an idea of what you're eating - at ALL times. Try logging foods in advance, too? Like, if you know where you're headed for the day, take a guess at what you might eat. Then when you do get to your mealtime, have a look back at what you guesstimated and try to stick to it.

thanks - that's great advice.
    my boyfriend has said he thought the free days were a bad idea.
    i have always had free days and i think they may be a real problem for me.
    it will be a huge challenge for me to get rid of them, but i have to.

i like the idea of pre tracking my food.
    that will take some preparation, but i can definitely do that!
  • slipandsink
    slipandsink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Every day is a completely different one to the last. When I have a bad day eating, when I go to bed, that's it, the end of it. Yes. I ate an entire packet of cookies yesterday night. Did I take that to mean that I could eat another pack of cookies in one day today? No. I got back on track and back to my diet plan, and didn't let it bother me.
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    AHHH!
    ugh!!
    today - same thing.
    it ALWAYS happens.
    WHY?!!

sorry. lots of ana / mia people on here with similar posts.

oh ana?
    funny.
    my username is actually playing with 'whats in a name'
    the word 'whats' is placed in 'a name' and you get anawhatsme.
    know what i mean?

i am the farthest from ana you could ever get.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you can ruin a whole weeks worth of work in one day, so even on those days track. see how bad the damage really is!
  • anawhatsme
    Options
    great advice everyone - thanks so much.
    i understand what you're all saying but for some messed up reason i don't follow through as i should.
    in my head i know i have to move on and leave the bad choices behind, but i just can't seem to do it.
    i think the pre tracking could really help.

this is so frustrating.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Maybe instead of a free day, have a free meal. If I were to have a whole day of not tracking, I could consume a TON of calories, and it would be extremely hard to get back on track. As opposed to just a cheat meal, it is much easier.
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you have to hit your own personal rock bottom if you want to change. I did the same thing you did for a really long time. I am 5'9" so I could get away with extra pounds for a long time. Then one day I literally was stuffed into my size 14 uniform pants. I was BEYOND mortified that I had allowed myself to get so big!! How, why, yuck!! February 29, 2012 was the day that my life changed!!! Since then I have gone down a whole size, have amazing amounts of energy , and I have my self-esteem back!! I have decided that bites of this that and eating junk get me farther and farther away from my goals. I don't mean to sound harsh but it needs to come from you...only you know when you are ready. I guess it is like an alcoholic deciding to quit drinking. I simply made the choice to live a healthy lifestyle and love my life!!! I am MUCH happier!! Good luck to you on your journey!!