what are some low carb snacks or quick meals? HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    rice cakes are good, and pork rhines :smile:

They arent the greatest for you, BUT i am trying to get away from potato chips and I am taking baby steps :ohwell:

Hard boiled eggss are also good,
    laughing cow
    avocado
    squash& mushrooms
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Turkey Meatloaf- It's very easy to prepare the night before so you can just pop it in the oven. Quick and Easy. (also low carb)

• 2 pounds ground turkey
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 3/4 pound Colby cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    • 1/2 cup ketchup (optional)

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    • In a bowl, mix the turkey, milk, bread crumbs, and eggs by hand. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the cheese cubes into the mixture. Transfer to a loaf pan, and top with ketchup.
    • Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).

Egg Cups (make the night before) I always keep these in the fridge for quick snacks and breakfast

1/8 Cup Pico de Gallo
    1/8 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Pico de Gallo and cheese in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

96 Calories
    5 Carbs
    4 Fat
    188 Sodium
    11 Protien
    1 Fiber
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    cream cheese mixed with splenda.....ummmm, taste like cheesecake filling ;)

I normally try not to criticize other people's food choices, but seriously?! Cream cheese is incredibly high calorie and very high in fat. And most dairy products are not very low in carbs either. I won't even get into a rant about artificial sweeteners...I don't see how this could be at all satisfying if you're eating the 2 tablespoon serving size. Honestly, 2T isn't even enough to spread over half a bagel.

You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat. Both carbs and fat are only used for energy and if you eat more than your body needs at one time the excess will be stored as fat.

tumblr_kwbqdyVzlq1qzyrwvo1_400.jpg

Let's all go to threads to offer useless, ignorant criticism!!! WOOOOOO
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options

I normally try not to criticize other people's food choices, but seriously?! Cream cheese is incredibly high calorie and very high in fat. And most dairy products are not very low in carbs either. I won't even get into a rant about artificial sweeteners...I don't see how this could be at all satisfying if you're eating the 2 tablespoon serving size. Honestly, 2T isn't even enough to spread over half a bagel.

You can't just remove carbs from your diet only to replace them with fat. Both carbs and fat are only used for energy and if you eat more than your body needs at one time the excess will be stored as fat.

News flash - eating fat does not make you fat.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like cut up cucumbers with chili powder and garlic salt and some lean lunch meat.

I also like to take a 1/2 a bell pepper and stuff it with lunch meat and top w/cheese - put in the toaster oven just until the toast melts and mmmmmmm

and then of course - celery and peanut butter :bigsmile:
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Plain grilled (seasoned!) chicken. Hard boiled eggs. Orange, red or green peppers, sliced thinly -- really sweet! Raw broccoli. Avocado with homemade mayo or salsa, or a dash of fresh lemon juice and hot sauce. Cherry tomatoes. Raw cherries (very low GI) or blackberries.

Homemade mayo: 1 egg yolk, light olive oil, lemon juice and white vinegar. Season with fresh herbs or garlic. Use as dip for raw veggies like cucumbers and broccoli.

Don't be afraid of the fat or protein. You need it if you're eating low carb.

Happy snacking!
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, edamame :)
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If your wanting snacks and you are in the UK why not try www.graze.com they come in 4 snacks 1 per day as I have it, and you can choose from 3 different type of eating. Normal - Where you get everything on there website sent. Healthy - Not quite sure what this is but I assume healthy and Low Cal - So snacks with no more cals that 154 cals. I use this one, you can rate each one you like when you have recieved it or before, they are great for afternoon snacking.

I also give my other half 30g of mixed nuts, great for you high in fibre and low in fat. We buy various packets mix them up and have a little plastic container to put them in, 30g is approx 155cals
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Because it is so rich, 2T is plenty. Do you think you have to eat the whole tub to be satisfied? It's not "incredibly high" in calorie, and the fat isn't going to hurt her. Carbs don't matter.

I often enjoy 2T of full fat cream cheese as a snack.
  • chrissy3064
    chrissy3064 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    everyone seems to be on the right track here!

some of my favourite fillings to curb any hunger:

fruit - low Gi/sugar - high in fibre - low in cals - apples, berries, oranges, peaches, pears, plums, prunes, red grapes (seriously! as i'm a bit of a snacker it keeps me away from the sugar!) - if you are still trying to lose weight, try to have your fruit before 2-3pm.

probiotic foods - to increase your digestion efficiency - yoghurt (not all equal here, need to check sugar content, less than 10% best. greek yoghurt so filling! but change is always good too), there's probably more options here too that you can look into.

good fats help burn bad fats - nuts (unsalted), avocado

eggs! lots of protein.

a fellow MFP says that you should have protein with your carbs. i'm a big fan of protein with the main meals, i have found it has helped curb my hunger and the horrible 3pm grab for anything sweet & starchy!

bread - if you can stop yourself to just one or two slices - choose low GI options - eg multigrain - two slices doesn't have as much carbs as i thought - top with combinations of low fat cheese, a slice of meat, avocado, cherry tomatoes, tuna or any vege of your choice!

there are lots of snacky type things on the market tooted as low carb, but you need to listen to your body and check - do they curb your hunger or make you crave more therefore possiblity unknowingly upping your cal intake? are they high in salt? better to think clean & lean! but remember fat is important for our diets!

have fun with some new foods!