STRENGTH TRAINING ROUTINE

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I also recommend 3x full body workouts a week focussing on the big compounds. If you are learning a new movement, it has to make sense to do it more than once a week to get better at it. As has been said, Stronglifts or starting strength are good ones.

I personally used this: (PTC Beginner's program)

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8 (except I did chinups)

If you want to do some core stuff (not ABS!) after this you could also but you will get plenty of core activation with the above exercises. You could also add cardio after if you're goal is to lose fat (to create a cal deficit for the day).

This got me close to intermediate levels at 286lbs squat, 238lb bench, 375lb deadlift & 143lb overhead press at 170lbs bodyweight. At this stage, is when I couldn't progress any further and had to switch to a more focussed workout. M: squat, W: bench, F: deadlift.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. As Dan John says, beginner's can pretty much do ANYTHING and they will get results.

Patience + persistence = progress
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump to check out later :D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This may seem really obvious and I might get made fun of for saying it- but if you don't already use one, print out a log sheet or get a notebook to track your lifting workouts. Even if you know what you're doing it's tough to progress if you don't keep good track of what you're doing.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This may seem really obvious and I might get made fun of for saying it- but if you don't already use one, print out a log sheet or get a notebook to track your lifting workouts. Even if you know what you're doing it's tough to progress if you don't keep good track of what you're doing.

noone will make fun of good advice. I dont necessarily log it, but I definitely remember my progress. When I first started lifting, my dumbbell incline bench i started with 8 kg DB, now I do 18-20kg DB and its been about 2-3 months
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I use JEFit on my android...pretty nice app, and good for all sorts of lifts, not just the basics. You can set up with rest intervals and reps/sets, and it counts them down for you...keeps track of your calculated 1rm, etc.

And it's free.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I also recommend 3x full body workouts a week focussing on the big compounds. If you are learning a new movement, it has to make sense to do it more than once a week to get better at it. As has been said, Stronglifts or starting strength are good ones.

I personally used this: (PTC Beginner's program)

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8 (except I did chinups)

If you want to do some core stuff (not ABS!) after this you could also but you will get plenty of core activation with the above exercises. You could also add cardio after if you're goal is to lose fat (to create a cal deficit for the day).

This got me close to intermediate levels at 286lbs squat, 238lb bench, 375lb deadlift & 143lb overhead press at 170lbs bodyweight. At this stage, is when I couldn't progress any further and had to switch to a more focussed workout. M: squat, W: bench, F: deadlift.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. As Dan John says, beginner's can pretty much do ANYTHING and they will get results.

Patience + persistence = progress

Look at that...a helpful, intelligent post that isn't full of wannabe testosterone and insults.

To the OP...and for the record, I'd listen to Chris.

He's NOT new.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good site or do you have your own weekly strength training routine? I have been doing cardio and then strength training, but I would like a more regimented system to have in front of me. Instead of just going on a whim to lift weights. If you have some ideas, please share. Thanks so much!!!!

so glad you posted this. I was thinking exact same thing!!
  • fitforlife34
    Options
    Day 1- Upper body - Back, Shoulders, Chest, Arms, Abs
    Day 2- Abs, Cardio
    Day 3- Lower Body - Gluets, Hammies, Quads, Calvs, Abs
    Day 4 - Abs, Cardio
    Day 5- Repeat Day 1
    Day 6- Abs, Cardio
    Day 7- REST

Pick up next week starting with Lower body.

Thats awesome. Would this be good for a female as well? Who doesn't want to bulk up? HOw long should the strength workouts be, and should I add any cardio in there on those days?
    Rinse Repeat
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I use JEFit on my android...pretty nice app, and good for all sorts of lifts, not just the basics. You can set up with rest intervals and reps/sets, and it counts them down for you...keeps track of your calculated 1rm, etc.

And it's free.

Ahh yes I have a similar free app on WP7 called "Ripped". I've tried it, but I prefer an old fashioned paper log personally; I like looking at several workouts at one time- just a personal preference.
  • xrae13
    xrae13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an outstanding workout and is well thought-out. Something like this is great for beginners or veterans alike...

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html
  • fitforlife34
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good site or do you have your own weekly strength training routine? I have been doing cardio and then strength training, but I would like a more regimented system to have in front of me. Instead of just going on a whim to lift weights. If you have some ideas, please share. Thanks so much!!!!

so glad you posted this. I was thinking exact same thing!!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thank you all so much!! I just started reading the The new rules for lifting for women and just got started, but wanted to get into a better routine. All your help is truly appreciated!!! XO

Don't give up on the NROLFW. I mapped it out with a calendar and spreadsheets. It is helping me getting organized with my lifting!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit as well and love it. As for the thread....I do full body MWF.

And it's free.
  • bk0626
    bk0626 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump

Now I have to learn the terms...so I know what I'm doing lol
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Try New Rules of Lifting for Women, gives programs, demonstrates exercises and gives reasons to why you are doing certain workouts,
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for something too..Good info!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

Thats awesome. Would this be good for a female as well? Who doesn't want to bulk up? HOw long should the strength workouts be, and should I add any cardio in there on those days?

You won't bulk up as a female in a calorie deficit.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Day 1- Upper body - Back, Shoulders, Chest, Arms, Abs
    Day 2- Abs, Cardio
    Day 3- Lower Body - Gluets, Hammies, Quads, Calvs, Abs
    Day 4 - Abs, Cardio
    Day 5- Repeat Day 1
    Day 6- Abs, Cardio
    Day 7- REST

Pick up next week starting with Lower body. Rinse Repeat

WORST ROUTINE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! OP you need to check this website out http://www.muscleandstrength.com/ there is some workouts that might interest you on there.