Women should NOT LIFT HEAVY!

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    One day...when I can afford a gym membership...I will let you know!

I would love to get started with lifting heavy.

Lifting heavy doesn't require weights. The back and shoulders in my profile picture were made over 3mos with heavy bodyweight strenght training (not to be confused with that 100 pushups garbage). ANY lifting you do, where you can only complete 5-8 reps before you fail, is considered heavy lifting.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Haha! Love the title... My hackles were up... ready for an argument!

I am doing NROLFW... so more reps...

136 lbs 5'5

squat- 95lbs
    deadlift- 130lbs
    bench press- 100lbs
    overhead press- 60lbs
    barbell row- 50lbs
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow! Y'all are slayin' it! I'm stoked to get back to the gym this week and see how I do. With
    My shoulder injury, I'll probably have to take it easy on the presses....but I want my squats and DL's to be pushing 200 here pretty soon!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    That was sly!!! Got my hackles up too :wink:

So I'm a new rules kinda gal and I've been pumpin' since Early March... just finished stage one, so here goes!
    STATS: 5'7", 28 yr old, 152 lbs, apx. 25% BF and 37.5% MM (according to my scale.)

SQUATS: 3X8 @145
    DEADLIFTS: 3X8 @145
    T-PUSH UPS: 3X10
    SEATED ROW: 3X8 @100
    STEP UP: LARGE BOX 3X8 @70
    DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS: 3X8 @70
    WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWN: 3X8 @100
    LUNGES: 3X8 @90
    SWISS BALL CRUNCH: 3X55
    PRONE JACKKNIFE: 3X16

LOVE HEAVY LIFTING!!! I really really hate watching women lifting barbie dumbbells in the gym :noway:
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you stay out of the hypertrophy rep range (8-12reps/set) and stay in a power rep range (5 reps or less), you won't grow bigger. Realworld example: Olympic weight lifters (the ones that have to make a weight class)
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the thread title.
    People (Men and Women) should lift whatever they are happy with or capable of.
    I know plenty of Women at our gym that lift heavy and I take my hat off to them for doing something they like.

The thread title is an insult to Women who choose to LIFT HEAVY if they want to.
    Maybe you should the title should be "Should Women LIFT HEAVY?"
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    While I was still doing Starting Strength (Practical Programming modification):

Squats: 185 for 3x5
    Bench: 105 for 3x5
    Deads: 200 for 1x5
    OHP: 75 for 3x5
    Chins: BW
    Pulls: 6 lb assistance.

Stats at the time: 5'4" and went from 161 lbs to 148 lbs and a size 12 to a size 8.

But, now I'm doing NROL Fat Loss II so my reps are a lot higher, thus I can't lift as much.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: Why can't I afford a gym membership or more dumbbells?!

I'd post, but I'm technically not "lifting heavy" because I only have one set of dumbbells at home (two 10 pounders) and I'm too broke to buy more.
    I'm left doing more reps with my tiny tiny weights. :grumble:
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love lifting heavy!

5'4
    135-137 lbs
    Squat: 3x12 155
    Dead Lift: 3x10 135
    Bench: 3x5 at 95
    Barbell Overhead/ilitary press: 3x12 45
    Barbell Bent over row: 3x12 60
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of Women at our gym that lift heavy and I take my hat off to them for doing something they like.

The thread title is an insult to Women who choose to LIFT HEAVY if they want to.

Reading comprehension is key. :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: Why can't I afford a gym membership or more dumbbells?!

I'd post, but I'm technically not "lifting heavy" because I only have one set of dumbbells at home (two 10 pounders) and I'm too broke to buy more.
    I'm left doing more reps with my tiny tiny weights. :grumble:
    One day...when I can afford a gym membership...I will let you know!

I would love to get started with lifting heavy.

Lifting heavy doesn't require weights. The back and shoulders in my profile picture were made over 3mos with heavy bodyweight strenght training (not to be confused with that 100 pushups garbage). ANY lifting you do, where you can only complete 5-8 reps before you fail, is considered heavy lifting.

:flowerforyou:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Doh! Someone missed the joke!!!

Thanks for standing up for us ladies, though!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have been lifting but am random at what I do and have not followed a program. Just got NRFL and plan to figure out what all these things mean.
  • PattyPowerHouse
    PattyPowerHouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For those can't lift heavy becasue there isnt a gym, try lifting slow. It equals the same. Read slowburn or power of 10. 10 seconds up, hold for 2, 10 seconds down. 3 - 5 reps 1 set, if you can get to 5, try a little more weight on the dumbells next time
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    5'2", 108lbs (most days, never more than 110lbs)

Hitting Triples right now
    Squat 150lbs 3x3
    Deadlifts I think 145lbs 3x3 -I'll have to double check my workout log I don't use MFP for workout logging
    Bench 90lbs 3x3

Hoping by the first week of July to be at, for my one rep maxes:

Squat: 185lbs
    Deadlift: 175lbs
    Bench: 105lbs

Hard to tell where I'll really be at. I've been training for several months now, but a consistent diet and training regimen is what I've been lacking and I hope improving these two things and getting more sleep will help me make some big gains.

I have a powerlifting meet July 7th, competiting in the 114lb weight division because I don't want to cut ANY weight since my long term goal is to put on enough mass to be competitive in a Figure show.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    For those can't lift heavy becasue there isnt a gym, try lifting slow. It equals the same. Read slowburn or power of 10. 10 seconds up, hold for 2, 10 seconds down. 3 - 5 reps 1 set, if you can get to 5, try a little more weight on the dumbells next time

Granted lifting slower, or with pauses will be more challenging it in no way equals lifting heavy. I can't squat 45lbs slow enough for it to equal 150lbs, it just doesn't work like that.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    5'1"
    116 lbs

--all for 2 sets of 15 reps
    squat: 99lbs
    deadlift: 99lbs
    bench: 75lbs
    curls (barbell): 45lbs (only 1 set of 2-3 reps)

(maybe more on weight, but I haven't attempted because the weights jump up to 44lbs per side 0_o' w/a 45lb bar as well)

I'd like to see vids of the 75lbs bench for 2 sets of 15.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Big claims on here, some even slightly outlandish. I'd like to see some vids. I don't have many current up (I'll work on that) but I've got vids on www.youtube.com/charliebrooke08 www.youtube.com/liftheavysquatdeep www.youtube.com/alldaybeastmode

Check it.