Lose weight without working out?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has lost weight from just sticking to the calories that MFP sets and not working out and lost weight from that.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You will most definately lose weight if you dont work out.
    Most will be fat but a great portion will be lean mass.

This is where skinny-fat is born so dont be stupid.

Lift heavy weights 3 times a week to maintain lean mass and enjoy the fat loss....

Or....

Become a smaller version of your former fat self.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You can, but that's not to say your flab will look better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You can, but that's not to say your flab will look better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So close to 10k you Jedi *kitten*!
    =D
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just reread my post and I sound like I am either highly uneducated or drinking.. sorry :/
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I just reread my post and I sound like I am either highly uneducated or drinking.. sorry :/

It's okay.
    Just understand that its not about a number on a scale.
    Sure we want to lose weight but once you grasp body composition and how it works the weight comes off or in some cases swaps forms.

So look at it this way...
    Lose fat!
    Maintain muscle!

Look like this!
    squat.jpg
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ^^ Id love to look like that ;)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    ^^ Id love to look like that ;)

Do stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week.
    Or Starting Strength.

Both programs are for beginners and involve light lifting in the beginning but the volume ramps up pretty quickly.

Check out the link on my profile page to figure out if your MFP settings are for you.
    I have a different way of doing things to help maintain lean mass while cutting calories.
    PM me any questions and i'll try to get to them quickly.

Losing fat can be fun but you have to have patience.

Imagine starting a program like Stronglifts 5x5 on monday using just the bar, 45lbs, and in 12 weeks telling your guy friends that you are now squatting 225lbs.

And maybe looking like the woman above.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 lbs now with no hard working out. I walk maybe an hour a day 3-4x a week. So i guess thats working out but nothing very hard. I dont WANT to look like the girl posted above though. If you do i would think you need more strenuous activity.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As Dan said, there is a major difference between fat loss and weight loss. Weight loss will make you look good in clothes but fat loss will make you good naked. Below is also a good tool to help understand your caloric needs.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 lbs now with no hard working out. I walk maybe an hour a day 3-4x a week. So i guess thats working out but nothing very hard. I dont WANT to look like the girl posted above though. If you do i would think you need more strenuous activity.

Just curious, what kind of look are you going for?
  • sweetpea129
    Options

I'm a curvy girl and i want to keep my curves. NOTHING against skinny girls at all, i can totally see why one would want that body type. I love my hips, i love my bubble butt, i love my boobs. I want to get to about a size 10 so i can keep them but they are more defined. I dont care about having defined abs or muscles or a seriously toned body. I really dont.
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    Last year I lost about 40 pounds without working out. I had done it before and I had always put it back on. I finally realized that to really make a change i had to exercise and transform both mentally and physically. It's been a major journey but so glad I've taken it. I've accomplished things I never thought I could.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I'm a curvy girl and i want to keep my curves. NOTHING against skinny girls at all, i can totally see why one would want that body type. I love my hips, i love my bubble butt, i love my boobs. I want to get to about a size 10 so i can keep them but they are more defined. I dont care about having defined abs or muscles or a seriously toned body. I really dont.

lifting has made my butt more bubbly.... you can ask my boyfriend if you don't believe me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

The muscle tone part is just low body fat. My butt looks more curvy after working out but I haven't lost enough fat to show muscle cuts. Don't you care about your overall muscle and bone health later in life though? Also, large size doesn't equal curves. I'm a size 2 and very curvy in the hips.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You will most definately lose weight if you dont work out.
    Most will be fat but a great portion will be lean mass.

This is where skinny-fat is born so dont be stupid.

Lift heavy weights 3 times a week to maintain lean mass and enjoy the fat loss....

Or....

Become a smaller version of your former fat self.

I agree with this. There's no way to beat around the bush. I could always lose the weight but the flab was still there. Now I'm combining it all and it's slowly coming down. If you want it you GOT TO WORK FOR IT!
  • sweetpea129
    Options

The muscle tone part is just low body fat. My butt looks more curvy after working out but I haven't lost enough fat to show muscle cuts. Don't you care about your overall muscle and bone health later in life though? Also, large size doesn't equal curves. I'm a size 2 and very curvy in the hips.

Honestly, i think being a size 10 is perfectly fine for my muscle and bone health. Some peopel are just built bigger. A larger size does mean curves for me. When i was a size 12 i had nice curves but a flat stomach. Thats my goal. Mostly to just get rid of baby fat. To each their own but being under a size 10 is not what i want. I know most women would kill to look like that picture but I, personally dont want that look.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

It's okay.
    Just understand that its not about a number on a scale.
    Sure we want to lose weight but once you grasp body composition and how it works the weight comes off or in some cases swaps forms.

So look at it this way...
    Lose fat!
    Maintain muscle!

Look like this!
    squat.jpg

I don't know, but I've been told....A thick legged woman ain't got no soul....
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Reference to above ^^^^
    I dont think there is anything wrong with your main exercise being walking. I switch my routine up, but lately i've been doing a lot of walking ( motivated by a crazy puppy). If I am just walking as my exercise for the day, I try to do an hour of walking.

Nothing wrong with that!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will make you look good in clothes but fat loss will make you good naked.

LOVE that!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There is difference between losing "weight" and losing fat. You CAN lose weight without exercise, but the benefits of exercise outnumber just dropping pounds by FAR... including how you look. I would suggest looking up pictures of women with different body fat percentages. This will help you SEE why you don't just want to lose "weight" and even determine where you want to be in respect to your goal. (www.mybodygallery.com is helpful for women)

Explore different exercises and start with something you enjoy doing. Once you become comfortable step up to more challenging things. No need to jump in head first.