How much protein?

Options
I am trying to lose body fat as well as losing weight. My last measurement was 198 lbs, 47.8% body fat according to my scale, trying to get under 25%. I do about 20-60 minutes of cardio every day, burning between 140-700 calories, calories are set at 1200 and I do eat back exercise calories. How much protein should I be trying to get in, and what foods would help me do so? I cannot have eggs or nuts.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well many will tell you 1g protein for every lb of lean body mass... so for you, around 100g. That's a lot, though, for only 1200 calories/day. You would need to use protein shakes. I should be aiming for 120 but I'm happy with anything over 80 and I need to have a protein shake to do it. Otherwise, lean meats, beans, greek yogurt.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you OP?
  • akgrown4
    akgrown4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4.75"
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    5'4" should be eating about 1600net daily.
    Look at your LBM and eat 1g per pound.
    I use chicken, turkey, eggs and whole milk.
    Whey isxalways used on workout days.

Use whole milk with whey for an additional nutriment boost!

Have a look at my diary if you need help understanding protein.
    I'm on a diet break so eating at or above TDEE for the next week.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    .7g - 1g per lb. of LBM for an active person is a good rule of thumb, keep in mind that this is a recommendation and not written in stone. If you have trouble meeting this number with whole foods then a protein supplement can be beneficial.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    0.7-1g per 1lb of LBM is a standard target

Protein shakes are not required at all, but I enjoy protein powder.

On a low calorie diet you need to think about what you eat to get the protein in, it is not too difficult with a bit of planning. As said before egg whites and low fat meat are great options for your main source of protein, fish is also great. To help build the protein up choose higher protein vegetables such as mushrooms, broccoli, chickpeas and spinach

Just read the bit about not eating eggs, scratch that from the suggestion.

Skimmed milk is also a good option, under 200 calories for 500ml. not only will you get a good amount of protein from this, it will also gives you a great source of calcium that is important as well.

Edit: looking at my diary realise I forgot to mention low fat cottage cheese, another one of my go to foods for protein.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    They are all right...
    Sorces of protein, besides protein powder...greek yogurt, I use 0% fat plain with 1c of mixed berries, it is really good...nature valley granola high protein bars, 10g protein for each bar, 190 calories...I use them as a quick snack...weight control oatmeal, peanut butter,
    chicken, fish, tuna fish...all good sources, too.

Also, do you weight train? Lifting will help you lose body fat and give you nice defintition and tone you.