Tips from my Nutritionist -I wasn't losing anymore!! EEK!!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Diet is extremely important, but workouts are more important than 5%. Heavy lifting works, imo, more for men than it does for women.. unless you are training to be a power lifter.. that's different. If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight.. resistance training in circuit form is the best way to go.. exercises that get your heart rate up while you tone. Cardio can come from way more than treadmills, stairclimbers, and ellipticals.

I completely disagree that meal timing is irrelevant. If you eat 1200 calories before 10am ur body isn't going to be able to digest it well and you are going to crash by 2pm. Our bodies are not capable of digesting the amount of protein that we need to be eating throughout the entire day in just one meal either..

Literally everything in your post after your first four words is wrong.
    Please realize that not everything in weight loss is an opinion. Some of the points you have made have scientifically been proven false (i.e. meal timing/protein digestion ). A lot of your other statements depend on the context of the situation.

thanks for your response..

Show me where it has been proven wrong.. because I just went looking, and couldn't find it. I'm all about knowledge.

Thanks

You might want to read the article I provided below about women lifting heavy. To say that it does more for men than women is just plain wrong!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/strength-training-women/#axzz1se9eayCv
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle confusion isn't the issue. The issue is 95% diet and 5% workouts. Also the best thing you can do for workouts is weight resistance training lifting heavy. 3x8 which is 3 sets of 6-8 reps and go to failure. Cardio can be performed as a 5-7 minute warmup before training, and then 20 minutes post-training if you like. Don't overdo it.

2. Fat burning heart rate zone is a complete myth. I can put my heart rate in that "zone", but eat a surplus of calories and get fatter than ****.

3. This entire "shock factor" thing is not as serious and important as people make it out to be. The only thing you should do is take training breaks every 6-8 weeks. Either take an entire week off or cut the volume and/or intensity down by 50% for a week.

4. Meal timing is irrelevant. I'll say it again. MEAL TIMING DOES NOT MATTER. You can eat 3 meals a day, 10 meals a day or 1 meal a day. You can eat all of your food in the morning, and not eat anything in afternoon or at night. What matters is getting your daily calorie intake, your vitamins/minerals and your protein high enough to retain as much LBM (Lean Body Mass) as possible while dieting.

5. You don't have to eat clean. Yes it works if you do, but you don't need to. You can have whatever you want as long as you track it and don't go over your calorie intake per day AND you ensure you hit your protein macros. I'm not saying go eat junk. But I am saying that if you hit your macros and you have room leftover, have some ice cream. It's fine.

6. Your first step is finding out your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture) as accurate as you can. There are many ways to do this. If you have the money, you can buy a Bodymedia FIT or a Bodybugg and while it's not 100% (nothing is), it's pretty close.

^^^BUMP. Solid info.

yep
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing everyone! We are all here to learn and find what works for each of us as an individual! Happy journey!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of trying to come up with a nice way of saying that this "nutritionist" doesn't know what they are talking about, citing very old urban myth type of advice and not realizing what truly needed to be done. But I see that others beat me to the punch so I'll just leave it at that. it did remind me of a few topics I will need to write articles about.
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    If someone could just do up a nice summary of everything that should be labelled "broscience", that would be great. Cool. Thanks.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm not one for correlation=causation, but THE MOST AMAZING BODIES in this thread are the dissenters to the initial advice. Just sayin'.

Right?!

This is a great thread, thanks for all of the information (and disinformation)!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options

Diet is extremely important, but workouts are more important than 5%. Heavy lifting works, imo, more for men than it does for women.. unless you are training to be a power lifter.. that's different. If your goal is to burn fat and lose weight.. resistance training in circuit form is the best way to go.. exercises that get your heart rate up while you tone. Cardio can come from way more than treadmills, stairclimbers, and ellipticals.

I completely disagree that meal timing is irrelevant. If you eat 1200 calories before 10am ur body isn't going to be able to digest it well and you are going to crash by 2pm. Our bodies are not capable of digesting the amount of protein that we need to be eating throughout the entire day in just one meal either..

Please realize that not everything in weight loss is an opinion. Some of the points you have made have scientifically been proven false (i.e. meal timing/protein digestion ). A lot of your other statements depend on the context of the situation.

Show me where it has been proven wrong.. because I just went looking, and couldn't find it. I'm all about knowledge.

Thanks

You might want to read the article I provided below about women lifting heavy. To say that it does more for men than women is just plain wrong!

Yea well...the problem is this phrase: "IMO".... opinions and science don't really mesh. But at least there's no denial that it is simply opinion.

The problem folks, is that...well I'm sorry...EXERCISE DOESN'T FREAKIN' BURN FAT!!!!! Cardio, heart rate zone, muscle confusion...blah blah...Sorry. You've been and are still being lied to. But, what would all the gyms do if you were told the truth? Well don't ask me!

And in many cases, the person who has plateaued needs to cut back on exercise, especially when running a deficit, as the body will start to "view" to much exercise as what we would call stress, increasing cortisol, slowing the metabolism, etc. Every time someone gets a prescription to work out harder. This is simple ignorance and fitness industry nonsense.

The barriers of entry are too freaking low to be considered advice worthy in this industry. I see it day in and day out...and I'm in the industry! Been in it for 15 years. People are screwing with your hormones people...I'm not a fan of regulation...but it needs to be more regulated. It's always easier to sell "workout harder" than it is to sell "workout smarter" because if you sell the latter, you need to teach the why's. So just make your workout harder, you'll break through it. Kinda like if you've been walking through the desert for 2 days, if you walk faster you'll lose weight faster wont you? Pathetic...TheFitnessTutor.com is getting revamped and I will cover all of this nonsense with some scientifically backed studies....some from years ago...Pathetic.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Thanks

Yea well...the problem is this phrase: "IMO".... opinions and science don't really mesh. But at least there's no denial that it is simply opinion.

The problem folks, is that...well I'm sorry...EXERCISE DOESN'T FREAKIN' BURN FAT!!!!! Cardio, heart rate zone, muscle confusion...blah blah...Sorry. You've been and are still being lied to. But, what would all the gyms do if you were told the truth? Well don't ask me!

And in many cases, the person who has plateaued needs to cut back on exercise, especially when running a deficit, as the body will start to "view" to much exercise as what we would call stress, increasing cortisol, slowing the metabolism, etc. Every time someone gets a prescription to work out harder. This is simple ignorance and fitness industry nonsense.

The barriers of entry are too freaking low to be considered advice worthy in this industry. I see it day in and day out...and I'm in the industry! Been in it for 15 years. People are screwing with your hormones people...I'm not a fan of regulation...but it needs to be more regulated. It's always easier to sell "workout harder" than it is to sell "workout smarter" because if you sell the latter, you need to teach the why's. So just make your workout harder, you'll break through it. Kinda like if you've been walking through the desert for 2 days, if you walk faster you'll lose weight faster wont you? Pathetic...TheFitnessTutor.com is getting revamped and I will cover all of this nonsense with some scientifically backed studies....some from years ago...Pathetic.

I would love to know more about this I feel your right. I pushed my work outs harder and longer and all that has happened was my weight loss stopped . This even happened after I increased my calorie count . I book marked your web site can't wait to see your info on this.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options

Thanks

I would love to know more about this I feel your right. I pushed my work outs harder and longer and all that has happened was my weight loss stopped . This even happened after I increased my calorie count . I book marked your web site can't wait to see your info on this.
    There could be a few reasons/explanations but the term "metabolic damage" could have occured to some extent.