Ladies only...

Options

Replies

• chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    And no matter what you do, do not step on that scale 3 days before your period until it's gone! OMG I gained almost 2 lbs overnight before my period came! I was moody to begin with and that really pissed me off!!!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have read that getting plenty of dairy can help alleviate PMS. Also, eat flaxseed every day, 1 to 2 T. When I have been good about doing the flax seed, my cramps and other hormonal PMS issues are greatly reduced. maybe it could help with your cravings too?
  • reneealyse
    reneealyse Posts: 100
    Options
    And no matter what you do, do not step on that scale 3 days before your period until it's gone! OMG I gained almost 2 lbs overnight before my period came! I was moody to begin with and that really pissed me off!!!

Good point! I get moody too and my BF enjoys winding me up so when I'm in a bad mood and he blames PMS (even when it is PMS) it makes me furious! He thinks it's funny which infuriates me more.
  • reneealyse
    Options
    I have read that getting plenty of dairy can help alleviate PMS. Also, eat flaxseed every day, 1 to 2 T. When I have been good about doing the flax seed, my cramps and other hormonal PMS issues are greatly reduced. maybe it could help with your cravings too?

Dairy generally makes me feel bloated but I might look into that. At the risk of sounding stupid: Is flaxseed just like taking a tablespoon of little seeds? Cause I'd imagine that would be quite difficult to swallow?
  • Mirandas5bgirls
    Mirandas5bgirls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Does the lemon and water help with water retention? I drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day (that's 67 - 101 liquid oz a day - sorry unsure if that's what you guys measure, I'm in New Zealand so I use the metric system :embarassed: ) That's 9-12 glasses a day

But I heard that drinking a lot of water is good as it helps eliminate water retention - even though that seems like an odd logic
    [/quote]

No too much water can cause bloating too and remove electrolytes from your body... u really only need 64oz of water a day- Drinking a cup of hot water with lemon will help flush any excess water weight out of ur system, especially during your cycle. I would suggest the young lady 1st get on a healthy diet and excercise routine for 30 days and then see how her cycle is the following month.
  • shelley7890
    shelley7890 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This will maybe sound harsh Hun but use some willpower and just say no to it all. If u really want to lose it then no is the best word for u. Eat healthy it might help ur cramps too. When I was eating crap my cramps were double and exersice is great to rid them too
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i feel really sleepy and crave my comfort foods.. :frown:
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean I've had problems ever since I was a teenager. Doctors gave meds to help with the pain etc but didn't really help. Then I was told to try Evening Primrose Oil (supplement tablets) and they worked a dream for me the pain seemed to ease quite a bit and it helped to keep my spirit up and resist the temptation of food and my exercise levelled out during these times of the month. It might not work for everyone but it did for me :happy: you have to take them everyday even when not that time of the month so it builds up in your system ready.
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yes i also tried evening primrose oil and it worked a treat, i have recommended it to friends before for cramps and general horribleness at tom. :flowerforyou:
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me cramps aren't tooo much of an issue, unless I eat chocolate, for some reason, so I try avoid chocolate if I'm also very grouchy and lethargic haha.

My main issue is just being really lethargic, my brain goes a little fuzzy that time of month and I have no focus, and just don't feel like getting off my butt to cook, exercise etc.

Because of my birth control (Jadelle, implant in the arm) my "visitor" doesn't come monthly, it's kind of all over the place, so I won't have it for 2-3 months, then I'll have it for like 3 weeks. On day 7 right now, and feeling ripped off because last time was less than a month ago, even if it was really light. But it's meant I've had a big break from exercise because I'm just too tired, and today had to force myself to do a pretty low impact exercise and it was really hard! Soooo annoying, argh!
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well with my eating and exercise - still hadn't seen a difference on the scale but had seen a difference in the way my clothes fit so was going to take measurements soon. BUT...

One week before my monthly visitor came calling I felt sluggish, no energy, didn't want to exercise and wanted to eat everything in the house, and in the supermarket. Within a few days My clothes are too tight again, I'm bulging out in bits and the places that were starting to look better are just back to being fat. Now it's actually that time and I made myself go to the gym this morning even though I really didn't want to. I feel like absolute crap with major tummy pains but I feel good knowing that I actually went to the gym and I'm eating well again today - not craving everything and anything bad.

This happens to me every single month without fail, any progress I make goes right out the door the week before. Does this happen to anyone else? Also, is there anything to stop that happening other than forcing myself into the gym and away from the food? I'm ravenously hungry during this time, which is a total pain.

The best thing to do is drink hot water with fresh lemons every morning and night- u are just retaining water and need to eliminate it... Also, don't stop excercising during that time after it is over you will see weight loss if u keep it up.

Thank you. Does the lemon and water help with water retention? I drink between 2 and 3 litres of water a day (that's 67 - 101 liquid oz a day - sorry unsure if that's what you guys measure, I'm in New Zealand so I use the metric system :embarassed: ) That's 9-12 glasses a day

But I heard that drinking a lot of water is good as it helps eliminate water retention - even though that seems like an odd logic

Hiiiii I'm a kiwi too!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that you can be piling weight on overnight by missing one gym day, I think it's about how you see yourself. There is physically no way that you can gain noticeable weight in one day, unless it's bloating - maybe you are slightly intolerant to some of the bad foods you eat on an off day?

I think everyone has cravings around their time of the month, I find it physically impossible to stay away from chocolate then even though I don't much care about it the rest of the month. I try and allow myself a small bit of what I want, and then get to the gym or on my bike - the exercise really does semm to help.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yebb. To counter it :

* Ignore the need to eat everything - OR - choose berries and veggies to eat lots of - OR - Eat the stuff I want but make sure I have the calorie allowance for it
    * Do exercise - helps with the pain. Do not let the ughness stop you.
    * Drink allot of water. Seems to help with the pain.
    * Ignore the bloating, it will go away after TOM is over.

this is perfect advice.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    oh and I have found that the more moving I am doing the less I seem to have wild "eat everything in sight" days.
  • joconnell42
    joconnell42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same for me - I've been really struggling to try to make myself continue on the exercise and calorie goals during that annoying week. Also, because of all the bloating, I think all the work I've done doesn't show at all during this lovely time. I'm just kind of chalking it up, going slightly easier during these days and giving myself a break when the scale doesn't say what I want it to. We all deserve a little rest sometimes, right?
  • reneealyse
    Options

No too much water can cause bloating too and remove electrolytes from your body... u really only need 64oz of water a day- Drinking a cup of hot water with lemon will help flush any excess water weight out of ur system, especially during your cycle. I would suggest the young lady 1st get on a healthy diet and excercise routine for 30 days and then see how her cycle is the following month.
    [/quote]

Thanks. Ok I will try the healthy diet and exercise thing for 30 days and see how I go. I'll also keep up this hot water with lemon thing because it's quite nice and it seems to have calmed things down a bit already - only started last night then again this morning.
  • reneealyse
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean I've had problems ever since I was a teenager. Doctors gave meds to help with the pain etc but didn't really help. Then I was told to try Evening Primrose Oil (supplement tablets) and they worked a dream for me the pain seemed to ease quite a bit and it helped to keep my spirit up and resist the temptation of food and my exercise levelled out during these times of the month. It might not work for everyone but it did for me :happy: you have to take them everyday even when not that time of the month so it builds up in your system ready.

Thank you might have to look into evening primose oil further
  • reneealyse
    Options
    I was doing really well with my eating and exercise - still hadn't seen a difference on the scale but had seen a difference in the way my clothes fit so was going to take measurements soon. BUT...

One week before my monthly visitor came calling I felt sluggish, no energy, didn't want to exercise and wanted to eat everything in the house, and in the supermarket. Within a few days My clothes are too tight again, I'm bulging out in bits and the places that were starting to look better are just back to being fat. Now it's actually that time and I made myself go to the gym this morning even though I really didn't want to. I feel like absolute crap with major tummy pains but I feel good knowing that I actually went to the gym and I'm eating well again today - not craving everything and anything bad.

This happens to me every single month without fail, any progress I make goes right out the door the week before. Does this happen to anyone else? Also, is there anything to stop that happening other than forcing myself into the gym and away from the food? I'm ravenously hungry during this time, which is a total pain.

The best thing to do is drink hot water with fresh lemons every morning and night- u are just retaining water and need to eliminate it... Also, don't stop excercising during that time after it is over you will see weight loss if u keep it up.

Hiiiii I'm a kiwi too!

Hi! have added you as a friend!
  • reneealyse
    Options
    This will maybe sound harsh Hun but use some willpower and just say no to it all. If u really want to lose it then no is the best word for u. Eat healthy it might help ur cramps too. When I was eating crap my cramps were double and exersice is great to rid them too

This is true. Will power is almost non-existent at that time but will have to try harder!
  • reneealyse
    Options
    I really don't think that you can be piling weight on overnight by missing one gym day, I think it's about how you see yourself. There is physically no way that you can gain noticeable weight in one day, unless it's bloating - maybe you are slightly intolerant to some of the bad foods you eat on an off day?

I think everyone has cravings around their time of the month, I find it physically impossible to stay away from chocolate then even though I don't much care about it the rest of the month. I try and allow myself a small bit of what I want, and then get to the gym or on my bike - the exercise really does semm to help.

It's not one day, it's more like three days, if I take three days off exercise and healthy eating in a row then my body reverts back to where it was before. I will be the first to admit it doesn't sound right but that's definitely what it feels and looks like to me. My clothes are certainly tighter after that three days.