Advice & Info: Broke down and bought protein powder

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Someone critique this protein powder and let me know if it's good or bad please. I picked it because of the short ingredient list.

So far I only put a taste full in my mouth. My initial take was that I was kind of surprised. When I opened the bottle I thought it was lumpy looking but then I poked it with the scoop and it's so very very very fine and smooth. And what a weird soft fine melt in your mouth texture. Almost reminds me of cotton candy. It turns hard as you suck on it. It's milky tasting, not to to sweet. I haven't had it as a drink yet so I'll have to update later! Tomorrow I think I'm going to have some chocolate greek yogurt!

Natural Whey Decadent chocolate (gluten FREE)
100% New Zealand Whey Protein Isolate + Concentrate
908g (2lb) for 22 dollars at Sobeys grocery stores

"New Zealand whey proteins are considered to be the cleanest and purist in the world. The milk used to produce these whey protein is free of hormones (rBGH) and antibiotics as well as being GMO free. They are also routinely screened for chemical contaminants including pesticides and heavy metals."

Ingredients: New Zealand Protein Blend (cross flow micro-filtration whey protein isolate, ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate), cocoa, natural flavors, Enzyme Blend (Protease 1 & 2, Lactase, Amylase), soy lethin, stevia leaf.

Nutrition Facts:
Per 30.4 g (1 scoop)
Cals: 122
fat: 1.5 g
sat fat: .5 g
cholesterol: 30mg
sodium 40mg
potassiium 250mg
carbohydrate 3 g
fibre 0 g
sugar 1 g
calcium 10%

Amino Acid Profile (mg)
Alanine 1110
Arginine 630
Aspartic Acid 2305
Cystine 550
Glutamine & Precursors 4083
Glycine 390
Histidine 430
Isoleucine 1520
Leucine 2620
Lysine 2240
Methionine 520
Phenylalanine 820
Proline 1475
Serine 1090
Theronine 1690
Tryptophan 405
Tyrosine 702
Valine 1420

Total BCAA's 5560
leucine 2620
lsoleucine 1520
Valine 1420

I like the idea of getting protein naturally, but I've been busy and have been moving around allot (from my place, moms, bfs). Since it's kind of hard to keep track of lunches and I've been failing on the meat department lately I broke down and got some protein powder. My diet has been slowly migrating to sweets since the campus donut shop seems to constantly run out of chicken? Anyway this is what I got. Let me know if it's any good. My point of the protein is to get actual protein.

Replies

• Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So... did you mix it in water or milk or what? The way you described it was confusing.

The nutritional profile looks pretty good! Personally, I love Lean Body by Labrada! How do you plan on using this protein powder? Meal replacement? Snack? What do you want to accomplish with it?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's convenient when you are short on protein for the day. If you eat enough protein in your diet, protein powder is just extra calories.

A blender bottle is a convenient way to mix it.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ...Maybe I am up too late and cant see it but how much protein per scoop does it have?
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    maybe I missed it in there, but how much protein per serving?
  • eliwolford08
    Options
    I don't see the protein content on it so can't say for sure. Im guessing you want to use it as a protein replacement since you dont eat as much protein as you would like and its a good source regardless of the amount of protein which Im guessing is like most Whey protein powders and contain about 18 to 22 g. of protein per scoop.
    I use mine to gain lean muscle to loose weight keeping in consideration that I workout Cardio and weights for endurance and after a workout protein and carbs are a good way to replace and feed the muscle. If you go over your protein for the day like anything you will end up gainning fat if you dont eat right otherwise you could get a replacement meal drink like Ensure I drink those when I dont have time and only has about 9 g. of protein and about 250 cal. I like butter pecan.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    protein 24g

Next step shaker ball!
    So... did you mix it in water or milk or what? The way you described it was confusing.

The nutritional profile looks pretty good! Personally, I love Lean Body by Labrada! How do you plan on using this protein powder? Meal replacement? Snack? What do you want to accomplish with it?

I chucked it in my mouth. No mix. Never heard of labrada. I plan on using it as a protein replacement for when I cant get enough...though it will probably be used as a famine food since it can keep in my locker without going bad. Late night studying sucks. My ideas for mixing is pancakes oatmeal yogurt milk coffee shakes or water. I guess we will find out what it doesnt go good with.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    24G of protein for the calories is not bad at all It is rather expensive though check amazon they usually have things cheaper
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use designer whey in Vanilla. It is 100 calories and 18 g of protein. I really like it, though I have found that it doesn't have as much protein as other brands.

I got into it because of the blog "Dashing Dish". She makes shakes with protein powder, cottage cheese (or greek yogurt), fruit, and sugar free pudding mix (just a little for flavor). They are pretty decent shakes. I usually only use it if I've lifted weights (and have the calories for it) or if I need a quick high-protein meal.

I also sometimes use a Utah local powder that comes in single-serving packets when I'm on the go. However, I can't remember the brand atm.

Like others have said, it is a good supplemental thing if you've got the cals and need the protein. :)