Hip and butt workout help needed

Options
Hi everyone!

I need help toning my hips and butt.

Here is my current workout:
Everyday - C25K program (6 days a week, 1 day rest)
4 days a week - gym - this includes
Elliptical or ARC
Strength training on: (I rotate upper body one day, lower body the next, and abs and back alternate as well)
Arms
Legs
Abs
Back
2 days a week - home work outs, including 30DS, Pilates, Exercise ball and weights.

I do give myself one "rest" day - that day does usually involve yardwork, or cleaning out a family garage that is overloaded with junk (great cardio and strength workout!) for several hours.

I have toned my arms really nicely (I can see definition now!), and my legs are getting stronger, but I am pear shaped, and need to tone my flat (yes, completely flat) butt and wide hips. I am looking for good exercises I can do either at the gym (I have full access at work) or at home with the equipment I have (hand weights, bands, ball). Has anyone shaped that area of their body with workouts?

(Also, I am following a doctor's medically supervised diet, which includes a lot of protein, so although I dont always eat much food, it is usually protein packed - and yes, I know I need more... I supplement the best I can with shakes and bars!)

Please tell me what has worked for you in the past - I know I cant lose the weight in certain spots, but I can certainly help the process along by toning my weak areas!!

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Look up the Brazilian Butt Lift DVDs! I watched a few intro videos last night and they seem interesting.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did brazillian butt in one of my classes and boy do you feel it! I wish I had a flat butt, but I got a pear bubble butt. Wish it would tone, but too much junk in the trunk appears to be staying for now. Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Nothing hits that area like proper barbell squats with a heavy weight.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Thanks!

I will look up the Brazillian Butt Lift DVD's... I just ordered Insanity, and it should be delivered today - start that program this weekend!!

Squats are my least favorite thing - well, aside from LUNGES! Lol... but if they will help, I will do ANYTHING.
  • Sundance722
    Sundance722 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Exactly what my trainer told me a while back.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Except heavy hip thrusts.....

Even unweighted bridges are an awesome butt workout.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bridges with your calves up on a ball or just down on the floor....do tthem slowly and hold at the top. Then, squat, squat, squat. If you don't have a barbell, hold a dumb bell like a glass and do it to it.
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I need help toning my hips and butt.

Here is my current workout:
    Everyday - C25K program (6 days a week, 1 day rest)
    4 days a week - gym - this includes
    Elliptical or ARC
    Strength training on: (I rotate upper body one day, lower body the next, and abs and back alternate as well)
    Arms
    Legs
    Abs
    Back
    2 days a week - home work outs, including 30DS, Pilates, Exercise ball and weights.

I do give myself one "rest" day - that day does usually involve yardwork, or cleaning out a family garage that is overloaded with junk (great cardio and strength workout!) for several hours.

I have toned my arms really nicely (I can see definition now!), and my legs are getting stronger, but I am pear shaped, and need to tone my flat (yes, completely flat) butt and wide hips. I am looking for good exercises I can do either at the gym (I have full access at work) or at home with the equipment I have (hand weights, bands, ball). Has anyone shaped that area of their body with workouts?

(Also, I am following a doctor's medically supervised diet, which includes a lot of protein, so although I dont always eat much food, it is usually protein packed - and yes, I know I need more... I supplement the best I can with shakes and bars!)

Please tell me what has worked for you in the past - I know I cant lose the weight in certain spots, but I can certainly help the process along by toning my weak areas!!

I recommend any DVD by Jillian Michaels - She has a new one out called "Killer buns & Thighs" I've heard it gives AMAZING results ... I am going to start it once I finished the 30 DS.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Cardio for the fat reduction and be prepared that you will probably lose fat there last. That's normal.

As for shaping the butt, squats are great for overall shaping, but I would recommend focusing on the individual gluteals as well. See if your gym has a donkey kick machine. If not you can do them on the floor but will have to go lighter with ankle weights or using a loop on a cable machine that can be awkward. Firehydrants with the ankle weights or foot loop on the cable machine are also good. Clams are a Pilates type move where you lay on your side, bend your knees and then lift the top leg, basically opening the legs like a clam shell. Frogs are great too. They are where you are laying on a stability ball on your stomach and balancing on your hands. Then turn your knees out to the side, bend them and put the bottoms of your feet together so basically you're making a square with your legs. From there, you lift the legs by squeezing the glutes. You don't have to add any weight to those last two to really feel them. They are great for muscular endurance, though, even if you aren't going to build lots of strength with them.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Look up the Brazilian Butt Lift DVDs! I watched a few intro videos last night and they seem interesting.

I'd kick Leandro Carvalhos *kitten* and the P90X dudes @zz. lmao, but the BBL does work.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are your new best buddies! Also, check out The Butt Book by Tosca Reno if you wanna read.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Thanks!

I will look up the Brazillian Butt Lift DVD's... I just ordered Insanity, and it should be delivered today - start that program this weekend!!

Squats are my least favorite thing - well, aside from LUNGES! Lol... but if they will help, I will do ANYTHING.

I was going to say that my flat behind got a little less flat after Insanity, so you should be good. Keep working hard, squats and lunges will get you there.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I have started taking Booty Blast B.A.R. at my gym and love it. It's a ballet inspired program that really hits your glutes, hips and quads.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Steps work great but you must use your whole foot when stepping up .It will shape butt calves thighs and hips.