"A Mathematical Challenge to Obesity"

Options
Well this is frustrating to read. I haven't been on here long, any thoughts? It almost sounds a little like the now-busted "starvation" mode.

"That the conventional wisdom of 3,500 calories less is what it takes to lose a pound of weight is wrong. The body changes as you lose. Interestingly, we also found that the fatter you get, the easier it is to gain weight. An extra 10 calories a day puts more weight onto an obese person than on a thinner one.

Also, there’s a time constant that’s an important factor in weight loss. That’s because if you reduce your caloric intake, after a while, your body reaches equilibrium. It actually takes about three years for a dieter to reach their new “steady state.” Our model predicts that if you eat 100 calories fewer a day, in three years you will, on average, lose 10 pounds — if you don’t cheat. "

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/science/a-mathematical-challenge-to-obesity.html?_r=1

Replies

• hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I read the article and used the simulator, it was really close to MFP in calculations. It said in order to hit my goal in 45 days, with my activity level, I should eat 2900 calories, MFP says with my exercise and intake, I should eat 3100 calories.

Im not sure mathematics is the whole scenario. I think genetics plays a part as well. When i eat right and exercise, I lose weight steadily and others do the exact same thing and their results arent always the same.

was an interesting read.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I ran mine just now. It's about 100 calories lower than MFP. But, since I come up a little low everyday it won't matter.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Interesting about reaching the steady state, I know this has limited implication but it got me thinking about pregnancy weight coming off really fast even if not all of it went to the baby. It also helps explain how people can yo-yo with their weight in just a year even if they've lost a lot of weight. Have to keep my mind on the long term with weight loss.

The stat about eating out five times a week is mind-boggling.