Tell me about your rock bottom

Options
Hey everybody I'm interested to hear your story about the moment you knew beyond a shadow of doubt that you had to lose weight. For me it was a few month after I had my son. I breastfed him for about 4months so I pretty much ate whatever I wanted because I was burning so many calories. At one point I was the smallest I had been in years but due to a lot of different factors I stopped nursing and at that exact time I was laid off from my job and just began to stress eat and just sit on the couch all day watching TV...my son was only about 5months at the time so I didn't really have to do much moving around. Immediately I started noticing the pounds sneaking back up on me at an accelerated rate and before I knew it I was 8lbs shy of my PREGNANCY WEIGHT and wearing two damn girdles just to fit into my clothes. I was horrified at the way I looked in pics with my baby so I had to lose the weight

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself one day and saw that I was 3 pounds away from 250. That really shocked me because I thought I was 230.
  • CourtneayB2010
    Options
    My rock bottom was looking at picture exactly a year ago (this was last month) and seeing how much bigger I have gotten since then I went from a muscular 199- flabby 230 in a year moving from a 13/14 to a 17...
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My rock bottom was this spring when I realized I weighed 8 pounds MORE than I did when child number 3 was born (who is now 11)! All my clothes looked and felt horrible, even my "fat" clothes. Many of the pants were/are missing buttons and I used the "pregnant" trick to fasten the pants that still had buttons (you know, the rubber band wrapped around the button and threaded through the hole, back 'round the button). The final straw was seeing my naked back in the mirror one day when I was intending to check the back of my hair one morning...ewwww!
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    Options
    a friend of mine and her girlfriend had been hitting the gym hard, toning up for their beach holiday. then they told me how much they weighed i realised i weighed more than the pair of them put together. enough was enough
  • frostypenn
    frostypenn Posts: 7
    Options
    After Halloween, as I was finishing up the candy I hadn't passed out, I couldn't get enough. The more I ate, the more I wanted, even though I was trembling and dizzy from having eaten so much already. I realized it was like alcohol and I couldn't have it any more. I'm pre-diabetic and have to get control. It's the control I'm after. The more I lose, the less artificial hunger I have. I eat to get rid of the hunger with as few calories as possible and nutrition is secondary, but I find the halthier foods get rid of the hunger with the fewest calories.
    Any time I overdo it, I remember how I felt so out of control, and if I have to, I go out, somewhere without food so I can't eat until it goes away.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    It's split right down the middle.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    The day i stopped feeling sexy.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    For me it was seeing photos of myself at my heaviest. Was embarrassing. And I also started having some health problems so I knew I had to do something.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The day I ate a 12 pack of Taco Bell tacos and a bucket of KFC.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I knew I really needed to get it together when I could only fit into one of my pairs of jeans and it was a pair that used to be big on me and I was wearing sweats and yoga pants all the time. I finally got into my size 2's last week. I was so happy. I still have about 10 lbs to lose but I am happy with my body right now.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I ever felt like I had hit 'rock bottom' I knew I was miserable, I knew I hated to find clothes that looked good, I knew I felt and looked gross. But it was my fabulous neighhour, she invited me to join her with running and using MFP. I said to her, of course I am going to join you becuase if you are super skinny next year and I am still fat I am going to be pissed off LOL!!

And here I am close to 80 lbs later. I have struggled as of late with being a single mom, and finding time for the gym, but I truly believe the habits are formed and the paranoia is just enough to kick me in the *kitten* when I slip. I love I can shop in any store I want and I usually look half decent in what I decide to wear.

It's so worth every ounce of hard work it took and will continue to take. This journey will never end.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had lost weight before. 2 other times in fact. I went from 220 to 190, and the second I went from 232 to 195. Then I had a foot injury and took 6 years off from the gym. I started back in February of 2011. In April I had a heart attack. Instead of hoping to lose weight to look better, my life depended on it. I came home from ICU and followed every single instruction they gave me. It's been a year. I am down over 60. I can run a 5K in under 30 minutes. I skate, play hockey, ride bikes, walk and stay busy.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My student hugged my fat stomach, looked up at me and asked, "does it keep you warm at night while you sleep, like a polar bear?"

She wasn't being hurtful, she was completely innocent. But I cried. :sad:

That was the moment I knew my stretchy pants weren't fooling anyone. I didn't even know what I weighed, I didn't own a scale.

When I found out the number was 237, I was shocked. Badly. I didn't expect it to be above 200.

But then I found MFP, fast forward three years, and now my life and my health are completely transformed.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Right after having my youngest I had to go shopping for an outfit...The whole family went I was looking at a Large camisole and my 7 year old autistic, adhd son said "your going to need a bigger shirt"...Then later when I was joking with my husband about him getting kind of flabby lol my son called me fat.
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The day I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and hypertension, and I weighed in at the doctor's office at 406 lbs. I had known consciously for some time that I was going to have to do it. It took being put on medication for the HBP to make me see the light and get motivated.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I was hoping this thread would have pics
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    In jan. I had a wake up call looking at pics of me from new years :( at that point I was at the highest weight I'd ever been (286 lbs) and was drinking everyday. I had lost my job and basically just didn't care. Now, 5 1/2 mos later I am the lowest weight I've been since high school (I am 233 lbs) I work out, feel great and quit drinking at all 2 mo ago. I also have a job that I love. My life is a complete opposite of what it was at the beginning of the year. I wake up everyday (not hungover) and happy about what I'm doing.
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    One Sunday morning, I was trying to fit into my church pants and was frustrated that they were now too small and I had to wear jeans to church (I am on stage so I try to look a bit more presentable). A moment later, I was chasing the dog down the stairs and suddenly slipped. I flew down the entire flight of stairs on my butt. I was holding the handrail but I was so heavy that my strength wasn't enough to stop me. After stomping around the house and throwing a fit, I decided it was time to make a change.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale with my half grown papillon in my arms, intending to get the little dog's weight by subtraction, and was shocked to see that our combined weight was over 200 pounds. The dog didn't weigh anything close to the 30 pounds or so he would have needed to weigh for my expectations about my own weight to have been met. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, but it was only the latest in a cluster of small and not so small indicators that I needed to do something. The one that should have gotten my rear in gear, but didn't, was the sleep apnea.
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    last October i receivied an award at work. A few days later I saw the picture of me and knew that I needed to lose weight. So far I am down 35 lbs.