Replies

• linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Week #2 = 18 Miles
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    5/16- 4 miles. i'm still trying to decide if i'm going to push myself to complete my goal or if i should take it easy for another month or so. I would only need to run 3 miles a day with one day off each week.... i guess i'll hit another 3 tomorrow and see how my body reacts....

exercise.png
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns said:
    dsharpie said:

So cool, that will be the same day as my 1st marathon. Which one are you doing?

I did 4 slow miles today. 5/15

I signed up for the Steamtown marathon - it has an interesting elevation map: http://www.steamtownmarathon.com/4.html downhill most of the way (can be bad on knees), and then some slight hill at the very end that people don't like ... LOL.

I am definitely going to train going downhill.

I was looking at the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon, - supposed to be really good and a friend of mine signed up for it - but it sold out.

Which one are you doing?

Both Steamtown and Mohawk Hudson were on my list for 2012 Fall Marathon. Both are fast, and my goal is to qualify for Boston this Fall. I decided on Baystate in Lowell MA though.

Couple things. Do train downhill, but don't do long downhill runs at your projected marathon pace. You'll shred your quads and won't be about to run for days. Do short downhill repeats, like 4x400m at marathon pace, building to maybe 6x1200m at the most. This will give you the adaptations that you need without crushing you for days. Do this no more than every 2 weeks.

As for the 20 miler, don't worry about that. Remember, you will run a 16, 17, 18, etc. before you get there. What's one more mile?

Train smart and you'll have fun and you'll be itching to do another one.

I did see the Baystate one - it is a fast one, I have heard, but I don't like double loops on 10Ks so I decided for a different one. I also think that the Baystate has maybe the highest number of BQs after Boston itself, so maybe it is good to have a double loop...
    Good luck on qualifying, so exciting - by looking at your mileage and result on your logging site - you should make it!!!

My hope (if I end up liking marathoning), is to try to BQ in 2014, then I will be in a different age group, he he, but maybe I will slow down by then...

I like your advice on training for the downhills! I will take you up on it! It must makes sense!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Today 5 miles run
    Total of 99 miles for the month
    :smile:
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    3 today 32 for the month!
  • dsharpie
    dsharpie Posts: 55
    Options
    5/16 another 4 miles
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3 miles today
    40 miles for the month
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    5/14 1
    5/15 6.2
    5/16 3

Total so far: 64

I have amended my goal to 120 miles....trying to get mentally motivated to do 10 miles for the first time today. Yesterday I had my tough mudder training (upper body, core, and plyometrics) and I'm sore, but I think a nice long run may just be what I need to work out the kinks...

exercise.png
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I don't think I'm going to make 270 for the month. I have a HM on Saturday, so the following week will be a cut back/recovery week. I'll probably be closer to 255-260 range.

Slacker. :tongue:
  • lauleipop
    Options
    Just signup up for my first full marathon, Oct 7th! Still got time to train. Worried about the 20 mile training runs - that seems really far. LOL. :noway: but I think I can get there :happy:

October 7 is my first marathon, too! I'm running Chicago.
  • lauleipop
    Options
    I reprioritized last weekend and didn't get in my long run.

I'm at 32 for the month.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I don't think I'm going to make 270 for the month. I have a HM on Saturday, so the following week will be a cut back/recovery week. I'll probably be closer to 255-260 range.

Slacker. :tongue:

Guilty! :laugh:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    5/17 10 miles

Total = 74

exercise.png
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Today ran 4 miles, a easy today .
    Total for the month 103 miles.My goal was 100.:bigsmile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Today ran 4 miles, a easy today .
    Total for the month 103 miles.My goal was 100.:bigsmile:

Nice job! You have time to get to 200. :)

Caveat, don't build up too fast and get injured!
  • ciderface
    ciderface Posts: 8
    Options
    just cking in, as havent for abit,
    so far in may I've run 19.7 miles
    whoop
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    5.5 miles today

exercise.png
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    3.5 easy miles today - tomorrow rest, saturday rest -> 2 days of rest before the half on Sunday! I am considering doing some cross training (ARC) tomorrow ... not sure.

Total for month: 62.5

Got new shoes - my other ones were a bit worn on the bottom ... I am also planning on transitioning to minimal after the half - got that shoe already. Still needed a more supportive shoe though while transitioning... so that is why I got these new shoes = TMI. LOL.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    5/17- 4.5 miles today. FINALLY running felt GREAT again! i even broke 10 minute miles which is good for me, especially since i was out for nearly a month. :-)

exercise.png