desperate for any help you can give me!

Options
I did MFP last year around this time and lost 15 pounds. Then I gained it back plus 5, and since then, I've gained 15 more pounds. I have been depressed for about 9 months (and am now in therapy and on medication), and I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I think both of these things led to my weight gain. My weakness is that I am emotional eater. I eat when I am nervous, sad, excited, happy, bored, you name it, and I can find a reason to eat.
I start off really well every morning, and lunch is usually pretty good. It's the 3:30 til bedtime that is killing me. Sometimes I go to bed early so I don't have that 9:00 snack, but I can't go to bed at 3:30 every day!
So I am asking for any suggestions. What works for you? What advice can you give me? I am desperate here, as I am about to pop out of my fat clothes. And sadly, that just makes me want to eat more.
I belong to a gym, but currently can't get myself to go there for anything beside yoga. Which is great, but not calorie burning exercise that I need.
I literally have no excuse - I am a SAHM with a 2 1/2 year old. Daycare is free at the gym ,and my daughter loves it there. I am physically able to exercise, but I can't motivate myself mentally.
I'm sick of making excuses for why I can't exercise. Yet I can't get myself to the gym or on my bike or out the door to walk. I have actually resorted to CLEANING to avoid exercise.
TIA!

Replies

• Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you can convince yourself to get to the gym a 2 or 3 times and do even 20 or 30 mins of cardio, you might see how good you feel mentally and physically. Even sometimes when I haven't been working out in a bit after that first workout I feel much better and excited to go again. Just put on your workout clothes and make yourself do you. You've already taken the first step by coming here. You can do it!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    You really only do need a few workouts to start feeling that good feeling that working out regularly gives you, and to start a new habit.

Can you find an activity that you enjoy when you are feeling like eating at inappropriate times? Like reading a good book. If you can find a page turner, it will take your mind of eating really fast.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I started walking as a way to get myself away from the kitchen, I would continually snack all evening if I was home. So maybe look at the gym that way, go so you won't be tempted to eat, it's a better alternative than going to bed early. The great thing is, the more you exercise the less you will think about food, I find I'm not hungry after I walk. You don't have to work out hard, even just going and walking for 20-30 minutes will be great for you and will keep you away from snacking and success builds motivation, so if you have to force yourself the first few times, do it, your body will take over from there.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,662 Member
    Options
    What works for me is that I try to take emotion out of the equation. I decide what I am going to do for my workout, schedule it, and then commit to doing it. I try not to overthink it. I just do it. (Hey, that would make a great marketing slogan: "Just Do It.") I do the same thing with my food. I decide what I'm going to have for the day and fill in my food diary. Then I eat what I've entered.

Another thing that's made it easy for me to stick to my commitments is that I work out at home. I have a variety of videos (P90X, Power 90, Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, etc.). I don't have to drive to a gym, worry about what my hair or makeup look like, etc.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Jill
  • flowerpot
    flowerpot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you hear of EFT. It has helped some people I know a ton. Check out www.emofree.com You can do it on yourself at home. Paul Makenna has some books and video's out that are really good too. His series is called "I can make you thin." MFP has been the biggest help in my weight loss, but I use ideas and things I learned from Paul and EFT to help me with cravings or emotional eating.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals for the entire day. Log it in your diary so you see exactly where you stand for each meal and your totals and try to make it so you can plan in some snacks. It won't be as hard to make it from lunch till dinner and from dinner till bedtime if you know you have a couple snacks in between.

Do you eat your exercise calories? If not you should be, because that gives you more calories to eat. That is one of my biggest incentives to exercise is knowing that I get to eat more. Don't have enough calories left over? Exercise more to get those calories.

What do you enjoy doing? I hate the gym, I would never lose weight if my only way to exercise was to go to a gym four days a week. I walk and ride my bike. Somedays my legs are burning as I ride and I can't catch my breathe, but on top of that I find it really FUN to ride my bike, so it kind of cancels out how crappy I might feel sometimes.

It's fall now, the trees will be gorgeous soon, go out for a walk with your son. Do you have any stores nearby that you run errands to? If they are in walking distance, walk there. Find what you enjoy and stick to it, because it's very very hard to force yourself to do something several times a week that you hate.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It sounds too simplistic but just schedule your gym time. Write it on the calendar 3 days a week, with a time. And just go - because you've scheduled it.

I schedule my time to jog. I know when I go to bed at night that at 5am I'm up to jog. There can be 'I don't feel like it' however, if it's in the schedule, it's just time to do it.

If you have it planned, it's easier to do than just saying, "maybe I'll go this week."

I feel for you, I do. The irony is that once you get moving, it's easier to keep moving than it is to start. So once you get started, it will be easier to keep up the motivation! We're rooting for you!
  • steph54
    Options
    I have many of the same problems you describe. One thing that works for me is to get rid of all the high-fat, high-calorie snacks in your house, then prepare single-portion healthy snacks ahead of time and put them in baggies, veggies, low-fat cheese, fruit, etc., in the fridge. Then, when snack cravings come on, it is easy just to grab a bag and munch away without blowing your diet. With no other choices, veggies actually sound good.

Also, have you had light therapy for your SAD? That helps significantly to lighten your mood. You could even go to the gym after your therapy while you are still feeling up. If you are not able to get light therapy, then going outside, even in the winter, helps. Walking would be a good substitute.

I am the greatest of procrastinators, so I know how you feel. But once you actually make yourself do something the first time, it gets easier after that, just don't let yourself get sidetracked and quit. You can do it!!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the comments already posted. After a workout I always feel fantastic. It is getting to the gym that can be the problem. I found for me that I needed to be held accountable. So I hired a trainer. I knew I wouldn't miss a workout if someone is waiting for me. However, it is expensive and my time with my trainer is up so now I am doing it on my own. What helps me stay motivated to workout is by having my family, friends and coworkers keep me accountable. They know what my goals are and they often ask how I am doing and my husband encourages me to work out. I also work out with my family and friends when I can. Having a good support network is very important. Also, I like to go to the group workout classes. I find that I stay on track better when I plan to go to a scheduled class.

I hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    While I do enjoy working out, the actual 20 minutes that it takes me to get to the gym is enough to get me unmotivated. I have struggled as well and here are some things that really made a difference for me this year:
    1. MFP-Invaluable!!!:flowerforyou: :love:
    2.My Ipod-I have a bunch of positive affirmations and uplifting music in it and this is what I listen to when I hike/walk. All of my affirmations were free uploads from Itunes and I think they have really helped.
    3. Since I hate going to the gym, I got a set of free weights, tybo and pilates tapes for rainy days. I simply put on my Ipod and head out the door for one hour (at least) three to four times per week.
    4. No high fat/cal treats in the house. After 3pm is also when I am weak. I keep laughing cow cheese, fiber bars, anything that is under 150 cals and if I need a snack, I have that instead.
    5. If I am craving something, I plan for it and I eat it without guilt!
    6. foods that have helped me stay on track: fiber bars, Kashi Go Lean cereal, low fat milk, Campbells Harvest Select low cal soup (Southwestern vegetable is the only one I like with avocado diced and added to it).
    7. I got out this year and started to volunteer in my community. I organize one dinner per month for the local homeless shelter and it really helps to put my life in perspective.

Anyway, I hope this helps! You can do it, just keep trying.:flowerforyou:
  • cerdmann
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, so I will... Good for you for getting the help you need to deal with your depression! It's not an easy thing to do for many people and it's the first step in helping yourself to feel better. You must take care of yourself first and it sounds like you are starting down the right path. I strongly believe that a good therapist and the proper medication can go a long way to helping those of us affected by depression to work through our eating issues. You are right -- it's all tied to emotions.

The suggestions so far are great. It's hard to take the first step to commit to a healthy you. Just believe that you've already taken that first step (SEE ABOVE) and now are going to start adding little steps that will add to your new self! Start small. If you can't get yourself to the gym, tell yourself that you will be going for a walk every day. Get outside! Put the baby in the stroller, the dog on the leash and walk for 20 minutes. That's all it takes to make a start. Once that's part of your routine, add 2 or 3 times a week at the gym. It's great that there is free child care! But, don't stress yourself any more than you already are by trying to jump into everything all at once. Just take that first step to commit to a short walk outside each day.

As for snacks, like the others have said, just keep healthy snacks in the house. Fruit, lo-fat crackers, veggies and even reduced fat/sugar ice cream (within reason) are good choices. I allow myself ice cream once a week. That's my big treat for the week if I can make it through eating healthy snacks the rest of the week. The slow churn ice creams are very good and good for you. Just don't sit down with the whole 1/2 gallon! Measure your portion and dish it into a fancy bowl. It will really seem like a special treat for being so good to yourself.

And, that's the key here, be good to yourself! You're a beautiful, worthy person. Don't ever stop believing that!

Good luck.
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, why did I ever leave here? You all have motivated me - thank you. My thinking has been that I've dug myself so deep into a hole that I can't get out. But I will start small with your suggestions. A walk today with my girl, counting calories (even when I mess up), and doing something else when the cravings hit. I'll keep coming back to reread this thread for suggestions.
    Steph54 - I do have a light for SAD. The (not so) funny thing is I didn't have it when I was pregnant or the year after. So I thought I was "cured". Then it hit me last year SO fast and that is how I gained the weight back. This year, I am going to start soon. Either when daylight savings ends (or is it begins?) or when it gets hard for me to get up in the morning, whichever comes first.
    Again, thank you all so much. I feel like I can do this now, which is different than how I've felt for 6 months or so.
    MFP rocks!