Actual Calories Burned??

Options
After using my elliptical the machine tells me I burned one thing for calories but when I enter the time I exercised into MFP the calories burned is very different. Whom do I listen to!? They are very different, too. I did 40 minutes this morning and the machine said I burned 520 calories but MFP said 364. I am dripping wet when I am done so I know it's a good work out but which is right?! Thanks!

Replies

• ready2tryagain42
    Options
    The only way to truly get an accurate count of calories burned (in my opinion) is by using a heart rate monitor while you work out. There are several good ones out there..and not all of them are terribly expensive. I have two (one I use in the gym, and one in the pool) that are Timex brand..and they were only about $45 with shipping from Amazon.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Second the heart rate monitor. Only way to get a true outlook of calories burned. Machines (treadmills, ellipticals, etc) just don't get the true number because it doesn't take all the other factors into account (heart rate, etc.)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Listen to a HRM. that's going to be the most accurate in any situation. Everything else is going to be grossly under or overestimated.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'd say whichever one accounts for your weight and height is more accurate. Ellipticals do burn a ton of calories, though.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    HRM yes we are a broken record around here but for a good reason. I put off buying one for far to long and it is by far the best investment I have made!

Once I had my HRM I found out that I was actually burning more calories walking then I was given credit for according to MFP and I was NOT burning nearly as many calories on the eliptical as either the machine or MFP says I was! Do what you need to to save about $100 it WILL be worth it!:flowerforyou:
  • jessihoover
    jessihoover Posts: 63
    Options
    I still struggle with this issue also!!! I have posted many posts questioning this too. I think MFP is WAY over estimated, so I bought a Polar ft7 heart rate monitor, and I think that it is WAY low also (yes I am using it right). Maybe about 350-400 calories for high impact cardio & weight training (and I'm a big girl, and put a lot into it I would have thought I would burn more calories) regardless I put the mindset (or try to) as long as I am excersing for an hour a day 6 days a week and doing as much as I can do to stay more active I will do well. I try not to eat any calories over my alottment also - so no exercise calories unless I am just dying but thats only low calorie items also. Good luck!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I agree a hrm would be your best bet.
    I bought my polar ft4 from amazon for $63.
    Best investment I've made as far as weight loss goes.

If you don't get a polar just make sure it comes with a chest strap or it won't be very accurate.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    HRM Monitor.
    My calories were VERY different from machines and MFP. The only thing I don't use the HRM for is yoga...too constricting with the chest strap. Amazon has a nice selection, I use Polar FT4, love it!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical did you enter your info, like height, weight, gender etc? If so, go with that one. If not, average the two. Best way to solve this would be to invest in an HRM. well worth it.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with this issue also!!! I have posted many posts questioning this too. I think MFP is WAY over estimated, so I bought a Polar ft7 heart rate monitor, and I think that it is WAY low also (yes I am using it right). Maybe about 350-400 calories for high impact cardio & weight training (and I'm a big girl, and put a lot into it I would have thought I would burn more calories) regardless I put the mindset (or try to) as long as I am excersing for an hour a day 6 days a week and doing as much as I can do to stay more active I will do well. I try not to eat any calories over my alottment also - so no exercise calories unless I am just dying but thats only low calorie items also. Good luck!

Polar is very accurate.
  • grandmeem
    grandmeem Posts: 28
    Options
    I LOVE my HRM even though it states the lowest amount of calories burned. Everyone says it's the most accurate so I go with it. It's worth the investment in my opinion
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My bf bought himself a HRM but his shows his treadmill fast walk calorie burns at at least double what the machine set with his age and weight does. Is it faulty of is this quite common?
  • lgsantos
    lgsantos Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like a HRM is the way to go so I am leaving this site and heading over to Amazon! Thanks!
  • bodaerica
    bodaerica Posts: 5
    Options
    Does anyone use the FitBit? I was going to order it...
  • ilovekc
    ilovekc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM is the way to go!
  • Everything you use whether it is a heart rate monitor, MFP, or the machine, they all use a formula base equation to figure out the amount of calories u burn. Generally, the more information u have to put into it, the more accurate it will be. However, if u really want the most accurate to YOU, u should get a Metabolic Assessment done. Then u can really utilize the HRM better because u can put your zones into the watch. To find a location near u to do your metabolic assessment, go to www.newleaffitness.com