ABS! How often should I work them?

Options
Tzippy7
Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
Hi everyone.
I was wondering how often people work their abs. I think I am overdoing it. I have very diverse workouts, but i always do abs. For example the past few days:

Sunday: Sprints/interval track workout, 10 min ab workout.
Monday: 30 mins elliptical, Arm workout, back workout, legs, butt and abs.
Tuesday: 4.5 mile run, 10 min ab workout.

I just feel like I should always be doing them because its my "problem area." What is your experience ?

Replies

• Tzippy7
    Options
    anyone?
  • LornaRodda
    LornaRodda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work my abs everyday, I do a abs workout for 30 mins. It depends what you are trying to achieve, you can't spot reduce fat to the area, you have to lower your bodyfat %. I personally don't think you are overdoing it.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you shouldnt work on them every day however, everyone is different. you really need to listen to your body, if it needs a rest, take one, if not just be careful, dont want to over do it.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't....I think they tend to be worked on their own when I do other exercises.
  • NavaGirl35
    NavaGirl35 Posts: 36
    Options
    I’m working them in, with all my workouts... but I try to take a break but I want that part of me to reduce more than ever....
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't typically do isolation exercises for my abs. My abs tend to get worked when I do other exercises where I have to control my core.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I personally only work abs 4 days a week....but cardio and diet is the key to being able to cut the fat around the abs to make them visible:

Here is a good article regarding abs

How Often a Week Can You Work Out Your Abs?
    Comments May 26, 2011 | By Judy Bruen Judy Bruen is a private certified personal trainer and wellness coach. She holds dual master's degrees from Boston College in clinical social work and pastoral ministry. She currently works with individuals on fitness, health and lifestyle goals.
    Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images Strengthening and toning your abs requires no more or no less effort than any other muscular group in the body. The American Council on Exercise recommends resting a day in between abdominal workouts to allow for muscular recovery and growth. Over-training or doing abdominal routines several days in a row may contribute to burnout or injury. Doing two to three abdominal strength training sessions each week will help build muscle and tone the stomach.

Muscular Anatomy of the Abs
    The abdominal muscles consist of the rectus abdominus, external obliques, internal obliques and the transverse abdominus. The rectus abdominus runs vertically down the front of the abs and laterally flexes the trunk. The external and internal obliques laterally flex the trunk and are on both sides of the abs. The transverse abdominus runs the width of the lower abdomen and is responsible for abdominal compression.

Considerations
    Form and execution are equally as important as frequency of abdominal training. Performing more than 25 repetitions of an abdominal exercise is too many and indicates that either your form is incorrect or that you are overcompensating with other muscles or momentum, notes ACE. Check your speed and form if this happens during your routine. Consult with a personal trainer if you are unsure of your form or for individual exercise guidance.

Abdominal Exercise Variation
    Exercise variation is key to developing strong abdominal muscles. Training the same abdominal muscles each session may lead to a plateau and stall your muscular development and gains. Switching the abdominal exercises and focusing on different muscles will ensure you are not over-training a certain area during your bi-weekly workouts. For example, bent-knee sit-ups and pelvic tilts strengthen the rectus abdominus, while twisting bent-knee pushups and curlups strengthen the obliques. Performing an isometric exercise, such as the plank, strengthens the transverse abdominus.

Importance of Recovery
    Abdominal strength training causes microscopic tears in your stomach muscles' fibers. ACE recommends waiting 48 hours in between strength-training routines to allow proper time for the tears to heal and rebuild as stronger muscle fibers. Exercising your abdominal muscles before the recovery period is over may tear your muscle and hinder your efforts.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/388328-how-often-a-week-can-you-work-out-your-abs/#ixzz1v3CLsisw
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    I was always told by experts that your core is one area you can work out everyday, but you have to switch it up, so the same 10 min ab work out isnt going to help you if you do it everyday, kwim? and definatly make it a core workout not just abs, abs and back work together for best result :)
  • edmercdeleted
    Options
    I’m working them in, with all my workouts... but I try to take a break but I want that part of me to reduce more than ever....

If you think working your abs is going to "reduce" that area, then you are wasting your efforts. It doesn't work that way.

Abs can be worked everyday.
  • spe8421
    spe8421 Posts: 11
    Options
    My Pilates instructor told me that you can work ABS everyday. It is the only muscle that you can work everyday.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I workout 4 times a week it goes upper body,lower, upper body ,lower body

Upper body days I train abs. Also, a day on the weekend I will do abs on their own. from what I know you are suppose to work your abs 3 times a week, atleast a day apart because the muscles need time to repair or they won't improve much if they are always in repair mode.
  • Crazyasian1
    Options
    I heard somewhere, don't quote me, that Abs, Traps, and Calves can be trained every day. Don't know how true it is but if I had the time I'd do it and report back. Then there ar those that pooh-pooh consecutive training and say that all muscles need rest. To which I say, they get plenty of rest while obtaining my 8 hours of sleep. I train abs every day (that I go to the gym), sometime to soreness, sometimes just a few reps. I'm sure I have a six pack, it's just covered by this stupid layer of fat!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

No WAY!
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    bump - good
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I work my abs (isolation) once/week. I don't need to work them more as my abs get worked out during my lifting routine, as I base my program around compound movements (Squats, bench, deadlift, OH press, etc) that engage the core.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on set/rep/intensity of your ab work, and your level training experience. Most people would do better to focus their energy on getting stronger at the basic barbell lifts, rather than screwing around with 30 minutes of ab work.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    My Pilates instructor told me that you can work ABS everyday. It is the only muscle that you can work everyday.

I think they meant as a secondary workout...not primary workout...Like no one should be doing Hardcore isolation ab workouts every day....

Abs are worrked everyday because they are secondary muscles in things like squats, dead lifts, bench press, and etc.
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    Do not work them out everyday! Wait at least 48 hours in between ab workouts. Your abs actually do the firming up during rest, not during exercise, so you need to rest them. I find when I do ab workouts, I get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) 2 days after I work them out.

Also, a good all-around ab exercise is the plank - side planks as well. it works all your core muscles including lower back. These muscles all support each other so it's important to work them all.

:)
  • Tzippy7
    Options

If you think working your abs is going to "reduce" that area, then you are wasting your efforts. It doesn't work that way.

i mean it doesnt "reduce" the area but it changes the way it looks
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights properly, your ab muscles are engaged the whole time. Your abs are the muscles that need the least amount of extra work.