it happened : jog ==> run

Options
I've been real slow about getting into running. I had some calf-strain issues, so I've had to rely on walking/hiking/biking to get any real aerobic exercise. Most of my runs have included plenty of walking to make sure I didn't re-injure myself. And even when I ran, I always said to myself "I'm not really running, I'm just jogging". There's no official distinction, of course, just arbitrary personal opinions. But for me, the big change happened last night : I ran.

I did 6 miles in 59:59.8 , so technically it was "faster than" 10 min/mile. I covered the whole distance with no walking. But the real thrill is how it *felt*. It was awesome : smooth, efficient, graceful, loose, challenging, pain-free. And I actually discovered a few adjustments to my form that made a huge difference in my efficiency.

Six miles was a new distance for me, and although it was supposed to be a "slow run", my comfortable pace kept picking up as the run progressed so it was a record pace as well. Because of that I was super careful about warmdown and recovery. I walked, stretched, ate a bunch of protein, took ibuprofen, did my first-ever ice bath (Aieee!), and then napped with my legs elevated. Wow ! I don't know which step was most important, but my legs feel awesome today ! Depleted, but not taxed if that makes any sense.

It's kind of funny how much can change in one day. Whenever I showed up at a running event, I always thought of all the other people (the runners) as "those people". Now it feels like a line has been crossed : I'm one of *them*.

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You not only "ran", you ran quickly! Good for you!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    Nice story I can't wait to be able to say I can run 6 miles. I am up to running between a 1/2 mile and a mile without pain but it will get there:)
  • bodaerica
    bodaerica Posts: 5
    Options
    I love this! Thank you for sharing.
  • hodnett125
    hodnett125 Posts: 2
    Options
    That is great! I too am on the verge of becoming a "runner" Now that I have lost 60 lbs, things that once seemed impossible are now so attainable. Keep it up!
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is a major step.
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    WTG!! Awesome time!!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That is awesome I hope you be like you to some day soon
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wonderful !! Your pace is my goal I'm 85% there!!! Never thought I would be a runner either!! IT sure does make your legs look great too!!!
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! So happy for you!
    Good job listening to your body, sounds like it's repaying you for your kindness!!
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to have that feeling! I run about 2 miles (with walking in-between) every other day and I can't wait until I can run 6 miles pain free and non stop!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it fluctuates for me. I love days when I can actually run until I don't want to anymore. (I can only cram in about 35 minutes at lunch during the week.) I am nearly 54 and lots of thing tend to hurt the first mile or so. But on those days when it feels like you are describing, I seem to be able to go farther and faster.

Good luck, sounds like you may become addicted. :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your story! I'm a new runner and I feel like such a turtle right now, lol. Great job, I can't wait to have your success one day!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous, that's SOOO great! Congrats.
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    Way to go - that is so awesome!!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It is an amazing feeling to be able to get out there and run. Really run and know that you're doing it. Less than a 10 minute mile is a great pace. I've been running for 3 years now and I'm just now running at a 9 minute mile.

Way to go!
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    There's no official distinction, of course, just arbitrary personal opinions. But for me, the big change happened last night : I ran.

^^^^ This!

However, I know what you mean when you say you crossed the line and you are now one of "them" -err us. It happened for me a couple months ago, and it's a great feeling. So congratulations to you.

For the rest of you who are working up to being a "runner," from someone who crossed the imaginary line. A runner is someone who runs - that's it. Some runners run ultra-marathons, and some run for 1 minute followed by an interval of walking. Then there are all the rest of us who are somewhere in between. You are out there and are doing it. YOU ARE running! Never sell yourself short. :drinker:
  • JJPT
    JJPT Posts: 69
    Options
    Congrats! What a fantastic accomplishment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!