Shirataki noodles... Yumm or Yuckk

Options
2»

Replies

• dotido
    dotido Posts: 49
    Options
    They are good if you use a heavy sauce and cook it on a pan.

A good way I cook them is make them with Japanese curry and vegetables.

They can be delicious but you need to be creative.
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    Only tried fettucine & they're good. Def need a good rinse beforehand
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have found that they are good in stir fry recipes. I make them with Mrs. dash teriyaki sauce, chicken, mushrooms, grated carrots, brocolli and add some tofu and voila you have teriyaki noodles. I have tried to make spaghetti and that was YUCK!!! Then I made them with a small amount of pesto sauce and chicken with tomatos and basil and that was pretty tasty. They take some getting used to, but they are pretty tasty once you get past the texture.
    Did you try spaghetti with the tofu ones? Very different (still need rinsing).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My parents just bought these...what I see as the issue is there is no nutritional value and they are made completely from chemicals you cannot pronounce.
    *just saying*
    what chemicals? the tofu ones are made from tofu, and the yam ones are made from fiber.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later read, thanks
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    I have heard many gret things about these, but hadn't found them anywhere & I didn't go out of my way to look either. Today while at a different store over by work they had them. When I opened the bag all I smelt was fish, yuck! I rinced and dried them really well then warmed them in the microwave for a min. I then added 1 cup of california blend veggies, 4 oz grilled fajita chicken, butter spray, & black pepper. They were amazing! I will be buying lots more of them!

veggies=30, noodles=20, chicken=100, butter spray=0, pepper=5 total 155 calories!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I have cooked them. I rinse them very well, dry fry them and add just a little low sodium soy sauce. They do fill you up
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    My mom SWEARS by them. She's on MFP as well so maybe she'll see my post and add her two cents! Anyway- She eats them all the time and she adds sesame oil. Her co-worker told her to add a little kimchi and then it's be even better. I have yet to try them....

Yup! I'm her mom and I do SWEAR by them! :-) I like both the tofu and yam noodles and looking at the brand I buy, I only see Purified water, yam flour, and hydrated lime listed as ingredients. I use the tofu shirataki when making Fettuccini Hungry Girlfredo:
    Ingredients:

1 Package Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Tofu Noodles
    1/2 Wedge The Laughing Cow Light Cheese
    1 teaspoon Fat Free Sour Cream
    2 teaspoons Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
    Salt & Pepper (if desired)

Rinse fettuccine noodles VERY well. Microwave them for one minute, then drain them and pat dry. Add cheeses and sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Microwave to help melt cheese further, and mix some more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. Serves 1.
    (81 Calories, 3g Fat, 242mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 4g Fiber, <1g Sugars, 4g Protein = 1 Point!!!)

I am a volume eater so I double it. ;-)

On to shirataki noodles (yam noodles). The zero calorie per serving noodle...While many products claim to be calorie free, I have been given a rule of thumb to count 4 calories per serving for what are called "zero calories per serving" foods. But truth be told, for a 16 oz. bag of these noodles (5 servings) I don't think 20 calories for a pound of anything is something to complain about. :-) They ABSOLUTELY DO stink to high heaven of fish!! Remedy: dump the noodles in a colander and rinse for several minutes under running hot water while using your fingers to sift through the noodles under the running water. Then I dry them with paper towels and dry fry them in a wok until the moisture is gone. Also, to expedite the dry fry, I drain as they cook . Then I toss them with lite soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sesame seeds, lite salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. So yummy. As my daughter stated, a friend also told me to julienne Kim Chee and toss it in for a great flavor. I have not yet tried that. I also sometimes sautee chopped fresh garlic in butter flavored cooking spray and "dry fry" the noodles in the sauteed garlic, adding chopped fresh parsley and salt & pepper to taste for a "buttered noodle" variation. I hope this helps!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've used them for a couple of years, usually after having had no bread or pasta for a couple of weeks. I get the craving and it does, when properly prepared, fulfill it for me. Is pasta better? Heck, yes! Is it acceptable? For me, absolutely.
  • lehuagirl
    lehuagirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just tried them. JUST the white yam ones. They are clear and stinky but tasted wonderful with my spaghetti sauce. I am pumped to have found these!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    They only sell the tofu ones at my local grocer so that is all I have tried. The taste was fine, absorbed taste of the mushrooms I cooked them with. I followed the directions and rinsed them then microwaved them for 1 minute.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Smell= vile.
    Taste= edible.

I ate mine with marinara so it may have covered some taste up.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I tried them, they were pretty much the worst thing I have ever tried in my life. I like seafood and am not usually grossed out by textures/smell but those disgusted me.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    I eat the tofu noodles. It really just depends on how you cook and and which flavors you incorporate into them. I drain them, rinse, dry fry them for about 6 minutes and then either saute them with soy sauce and chili paste along with garlic and mixed veggies, or top them with veggie meat balls and marinara sauce.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The yam and the tofu ones are pretty good. I tried them last year and I didn't like them at all. However, another MFP member posted a post on how to cook them and I must say they are the best. I add broccoli, bok choy, chicken and Curry pastes to mine and they are relish.

I have also just discovered Kelp noodles too. They are wonderful too.
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    The last couple of times I tried them they came out really good. For me, the trick was to a) rinse well, and then b) soak them in a strainer in hot water while preparing the rest of my meal (about 10 minutes). One time, I quickly sauteed (in pan spray) some green onion and garlic, added some Thai green curry paste with a little broth to hydrate it, then threw in peeled and deveined shrimp. Stir-fried until the shrimp was cooked, then tossed the shirataki in there and smooshed it all around until mixed up. Delish.

The other time, I used a little olive oil, minced shallots, and again a little broth to moisten, and added some leftover chopped cooked pork loin, with Italian herbs. Also good, but the shrimp one was better. :-)
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    Where are they available in Canada? All I can find is online ordering sites. I'd like to buy them in a brick/mortar location. Any ideas?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do not like then. I would rather just portion control regular pasta.