Mood

Options
I've been in a bad mood this week and not sure why this is my second week and it seems like every thing I do I'm beating myself up over it. Am I trying to sabatage myself?

Any words of advice would really help because I need this to work.

Thanks

Replies

• LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    20090228_mg_kennedyd_0091.jpg

this helps :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Some things that help me stay on track:

Keep in mind that whole, healthy foods will do a lot more for lifting your mood than that cookie ever will. The cookie is a short-term pleasure, but healthy foods will make you feel better all day.

Drink plenty of water.

Exercise, even if it's just a brisk walk around the block. Getting your body moving will release endorphins, which will make you happy.

Get out in the sunshine, making sure the sun gets on your face and forearms.

Make sure to get plenty of sleep, if you can. If you're having trouble sleeping, try chamomile tea with a little milk and sugar. You can also buy herbal sleep aids, such as calms forte or Hyland's Insomnia, that will help you relax without making you feel drugged.

Above all else, remember that being good to your body and making healthy choices will help your mood. When your body feels good, you feel good. And be kind to yourself. If you do slip up and have that donut or whatever, it's not a big deal. Accept it and move on. The world will not fall apart just because you had an unhealthy comfort food.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options

and after hot, wild, crazy sex.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets in a mood, everyone beats themselves up about the littlest and dumbest things when it comes to weight loss. You have to be in control of yourself and your body. This is a challenge, push through it anyway. Even if you are miserable while working out , when you are done you can say hey, I did it and that will make you feel all the more better. Then when this ****ty week is done and you kept up with your goals and your better mood comes along, you will be able to feel that much better because you stuck with it. Dont let a bad mood ruin your progress... its your mood, its your body, change it. stop feeding the negative dog and feed the positive one. get rid of all the negative around you.
  • molliewitt
    molliewitt Posts: 25 Member
    Options

That never fails! - and goes in hand with what I was going to say... take your critsizm with a grain of salt! Just make sure that you are setting yourself up for success and failure, and remember that you are not a robot!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Part of this journey is learning to deal with the ups and downs of our moods and balancing that with how we deal with the world.

You can do this. Push through the funk! Sometimes it helps me to go for a walk/run (though it usually is better when I go to kickboxing and can punch the crap out of something). If exercise isn't helping, then try a new recipe out, or take something that is your favorite food and find a way to decrease the calories. It'll be constructive and (hopefully) fun.

If none of this works, then just keep pushing through.

We all have bad days and weeks when it comes to food and exercise, you just need to help yourself by knowing that it's a lifelong journey to fix our food issues and one day out of a lifetime isn't going to cause us to fail.

Hope some of this helps.
  • madmum99
    madmum99 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi,
    we all have bad moods/days/weeks. I am going through a bad one at the moment and it is scuppering my diet, all I crave is fatty stuff like chocolate, pizza and that sort of thing, not good. However, I have lost almost a stone so far and know that I really want to lose it this time so i just put any bad decisions behind me and start again the next meal. If you have a bad day/week, dont worry, just move on. At the end of the day the only person you need to worry about is you and if it takes a small deviation in the diet to get you there then so be it. Just make sure you leave enough room for those little treats, be they foody or hot baths or long walks, to make sure you feel good about yourself as well. Try not to be defined by the healthy eating, and keep smiling. We are all here to help, and we have all been there/will be there at some point.
    :-)
    Feel free to friend me if you would like some more support.
    xxxxx
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Part of it could just be your body adjusting to the changes you are making. If you are eating less calories and working out and doing physical exercise you haven't done in a while, are you compensating by getting plenty of REST? Thats one of the biggest mistakes i think people make is to forget that the machine needs rest to recuperate AND it needs fuel to run. Some people suddenly dramatically decrease their cals while adding exercise....who wouldnt be tired and grouchy? Id say to look at your diary closely, make sure you are eating the right amount to support your level of exercise AND make sure you are getting QUALITY calories as well.
    The other issue is whether you are getting support at home- sometimes it makes this journey much more difficult when it feels like you are on your own; but that's why you are on MFP!!!!! Keep reaching out for help and encouragement. You started this journey for a reason! Hangin there and remember even little changes can have big results so dont try and overdo it all at once just to give up on yourself-you got this!!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Breathe~ and take a second to focus on 1 or 2 things. Then really stick to those. (like drinking your water and getting at least 7 hours of sleep). Do that for a week. Then If you consistently do those, add exercise at least 3 times next week.

When we try to focus on everything all at once, it is easy to feel discouraged. But when you take a few "low hanging fruit" and focus on them, you build your feeling of confidence. And remember that every moment is a chance to make a good choice. Don't let one bad choice spirel into 10.

(and if all else fails, I agree, Tequila can do very nicely. :drinker: )
  • Hunterlady
    Hunterlady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Moods are a funny thing but can play a big part in losing weight. I try to keep a happy mood by breathing deeply when I am stressed. If I keep doing this, I find my happy mood returns.
    I find it hard to keep my diary but I make it a priority on my TO DO LIST which I update each week.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    do you normally use a sweet treat to cheer yourself up? if you do, go for a 0% yogurt or a nice piece of watermelon. when you start this journey, do some reading. find the low calorie options and start reaching for those. there is a wide variety of choices. pick the ones that work for you. drink your water and go for a walk. retrain yourself to find things that give you that little boost of happy that will replace a high calorie high. it wont be long before you get that little boost of happy from your results. as your body gets used to healthy living, your mood will improve. it takes time but persevere and enjoy whats to come. there is no short cut but you'll love the change.
  • jaedis1
    jaedis1 Posts: 1
    Options
    4 POUNDS lost is so good though! Keep your spirits up your making great progress :)
  • grannysmj
    grannysmj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Salty junk food is what I crave - I use my sadness to over indulge in huge family size chips. After reading all your response I feel even more that I'm trying sabotage myself. Many years of this, going to be hard to change but seems to be a lot support there :)

Thanks everyone!