How to eat healthy on a tight budget?

Options

Replies

• wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    Do you have a bulk foods store near by? We have "The Coop" which is a store serving the organic/healthy/green community. They have a great bulk section where you can get all sorts of excellent staple foods very cheaply. I love to cook with dried beans and whole grains. I can make a pot of very healthy bean/squash soup that will feed me for several days for $5-$6. I purchase my produce from the regular grocer as The Green tax at the Coop is too high for me. In a nut shell, you can do quite well on a low budget as long as you are willing to cook for yourself. Oh, and red meat is darned expensive - I use beef as a "treat" meal.
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    What MalibuBeth just said. Plan your meals and cook them yourself, and you can go healthy and cheap.

Fresh meat has a "sell-by" date and needs to be sold by that date or thrown out. Many stores discount meat if it is shortly before that date, marking them as "Manager's Specials" and the like. The discounts can be pretty steep. Buy them, take them home, cook them right away into healthy meals, and freeze portions for homemade "fast food".

Frozen skinless chicken breasts are a staple of my diet when my wife travels. Grab one, cube it up, sautee it in a little olive oil, throw on some cheap frozen vegetables (get "fresh frozen", not the kind with sauces or butter), serve over rice or pasta, eat.

There are so many relatively inexpensive and convenient ways to prepare healthy meals.
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    The 99cent only store carries produce now and eating a ton of veggies is pretty healthy, plus most such as onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, zuccini, carrots can be chopped and frozen for later use in cooking. I do this all the time, I buy what's on sale that is freezable, chop it up throw it in freezer bags and stuff em in the freezer, it also cuts down on cooking time A LOT!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laceyvl12
    laceyvl12 Posts: 8
    Options
    All those unhealthy "convenience" foods are also expensive. We rarely buy those anymore and have cut way back on going out to eat. I buy chicken breasts in bulk when they go on sale and re-package them in smaller quantities. As for fresh fruit and veggies; I usually buy what's on sale for the week. My grocery bill is probably a little more expensive but with how much we have cut back on going out to eat, I'm probably coming out ahead.
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    Cooking your own food from bulk ingredients is the way to be frugal! Buy rice, lentils, beans, oatmeal etc. by the bulk... you can use them to make soups/salads/eat them on their own. Buy your meat on sale and freeze what you don't immediately need! Stick with whole grain pastas and breads- maybe not cheaper, but definitely more filling in the long run.

I cut down on a lot of money when I started buying produce for what I only needed immediately... meal planning helps with this :-)

With meat and whole poultry save and freeze the bones after you eat the meat... you can boil the bones down to make a mean stock!

I can't say I'm the healthiest eater, but my biweekly grocery total usually comes to $50-75. But that's with extras and fun stuff!

Staples for me (aka things I actually will eat and use) are wheat tortillas, chicken breasts, lentils, peanut butter, kidney beans, whole grain bread/pasta, tomato sauce, oatmeal, milk/soy milk, honey, eggs, flax seeds, cereal, mozzarella cheese, coffee, hot sauce... limes/banana/avocados.... for just those staples, which is enough for solid meals for two weeks or so, you are probably looking at $50-70, depending on sales!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Don't buy processed food. You can buy fresh produce and meats for really cheap - especially if you keep your eye out for sales. Pick up coupons and newspapers that announce what the discounts are that week. A lot of the reason people might think something is expensive is because they only buy a specific brand, so don't be afraid to go generic (unless the brand is having an awesome sale and is cheaper!)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be real here, I'm pretty broke lol. And I know I'm not the only one on a budget! I was watching some of the movie Food Inc today, and in one part they were talking about how cheap bad food is, and how much more expensive good food is! It's a conspiracy! Hahaha, anyway, I would really just love if I could get some tips on how to eat healthy without spending what I don't have.

Do you have an Aldi's in your area? Their "Fit & Active" brand is REALLY good and very inexpensive!!! I highly suggest that... For fruits and veggies, if you have a farmers market close, you could try there. Or even look for your grocery store's generic brand of name brand foods.

Wal-Mart is GREAT about price matching, you should try that. Look at your sales ads, and when you go to check out, let them know a specific store has that certain item for a cheaper price. They usually know, already, but you have to tell them. :smile:
  • shaundrahudson
    Options
    Try beans! Beans are an EXCELLENT source of fiber and protein. They are very cheap and can be easily mixed with other foods for variety. Also, they make you feel full very quickly! I eat pinto beans and rice with garlic powder and pepper. I also mix mexican rice with black beans and baked/boiled chicken and corn. That's a great dinner and full of everything you need!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    its really not that hard, but I guess it is if you arnt used to it. i grew up eating rice and beans like every nightttt ughhh.
    now i live with my boyfriend and im in college. money is so tight that we only spend 150 a MONTH on food for the both of us. mind you i live in a large city where the cost of living is high (my studio apartment is 709 dollars a month to rent w/o utilities) right now i only have a glass of milk in my fridge, but thats beside the point haha.

i have shopped at aldis on the same budget, it does NOT go as far as woodmans. though most of you probably have no idea what that is. woodmans has almost all of the things (minus meat and fruit) for around a dollar.

we normally dont eat meat, which saves us a lot of money
    but i buy eggs.
    rice
    pasta
    canned sauce
    frozen chicken
    canned tuna in water
    wheat bread (lots, like a loave a week)
    nutella
    pb
    bananas
    cutie oranges
    frozen veggies (they are only 80 cents a bag!)
    string cheese
    nutri grain bars
    block cheese
    milk, lots of milk.
    archer farms items are my fav. at 2$ a box i can afford organic fruit leather. love ittt
    big tub of oatmeal (not instant)
    i make a lot of my own soups too.

yepp. thats what i live off. its not glamourous, but i dont mind :]
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    you HAVE to meal plan. "healthy food" isn't expensive as long as you meal plan, and make your own food.

^^ This. It's a big myth that healthy food is expensive - it's really not!! Actually, I think a lot of times, if you actually calculated the cost of what you ate, you'd find that unhealthier foods are more expensive because they don't satisfy, it's easier to snack, and you end up eating more when you don't need to.

Fruit and vegetables are super cheap and for your meats, you don't have to eat sirloin steak or expensive chicken breasts all the time - lots of cheaper cuts of meat are actually waaaay more tasty, you just have to slow cook 'em for the best flavour. I would agree that meal planning and freezing portions to save for later helps to get the best value for money.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I keep a memo in my phone of "cheap healthy foods" that I took from a Shape magazine article. Here's what's on it:

Brown rice
    Multigrain pasta
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Frozen veggies
    Bagged salad
    Canned refried beans
    Jarred marinara sauce
    Eggs, egg substitutes
    Frozen edamame
    Asparagus
    Bananas
    Broccoli
    Green beans
    Black beans
    Kale
    Canned tuna

As others have mentioned, try to buy what is in season and on sale. You can always get produce on sale and freeze it for later use. Also, I am vegetarian, and things like beans, eggs, nuts and nut butters are much less expensive than meat, so that helps! Never underestimate the power of coupons, too.
  • Kikers123
    Kikers123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wish I could reply to each and every one of you! Thanks so much for all the ideas! Keem them coming! Lol and for all of you asking and mentioning Aldi, I don't think there is one in my area, but I'll check!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OH, another suggestion. Alot of grocery stores will mark their meats down to pretty cheap for quick sale before they expire. Try looking for that meat. Be careful though, check the coloring and such to make sure it's not already bad. My hubby used to do that when we first got married and he wasn't working. We'd get almost $100 in meats and pay like 1/3 of that!!! :-D
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Frozen Vegetables retain all the nutrients/health benefits (arguably better than their fresh equivalents when frozen straight after being picked) last a lot longer so you can keep stocked up and are a lot cheaper than buying fresh :)

They are a great way of making any meal more satisfying and healthy too and very simple to cook.
    I use frozen fruits and veggies exclusively also. I've read many nutrition and diet books throughtout the years and learned canned veggies have almost no nutritional value. It all goes into the water they are packed in and plus the more whole or (less cooked) a veggie is the more fiber which is good for a diet.
    Also they are cheaper! Especially when out of season.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    As simple as this may sound, the easiest way for me is to write a list of all my meals for the week and stick strictly to it when I go to the store.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Farmers Markets are great or fruit/vegetable stands we have 1 around here a local grower set up a stand all year round and sells in season produce. I also found that 1-2 times a week if i make a dinner without meat it seems to save a little money and i don't buy pre packaged snacks anymore, cookies, chips, crackers(all the low cal ones) and i try to make my snacks a fruit veggie or something like popcorn because all those bars and cookies and stuff are expensive when you buy the "healthier" version.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It starts with a plan. Make a weekly schedule of meals. Look at coupons not just in the weekly papers, but online too. And note any suitable substiutions. Also look at your schedule for the week to determine if there is a night you'll need to eat out, and on that day prepare your dinner too. Preapre and make as much of your own food as possible. I spend Sunday evening making breakfasts & lunches for the week.

Once you have your base plan established your ears will perk up when stuff you use goes on sale. You'll eventually find your way to Aldi, Farmer's Markets, and sometimes Walgreens.
  • TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Check out Bountifulbaskets.org and see if they have a location near you. You can purchase a laundry basket full of fruits and vegetables for only $15.00. Then I buy as much meat and diary when it is on sale as possible and freeze whatever I wont use in the week. I can feed my family of 3 for about $60.00 a week doing that.