When do you drink your protien shake?

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter. I usually have a 4oz (1 scoop) shake around 11:30 am with my "2nd breakfast". That's usually my only one of the day. Some days I have on before bed to fill in calories. Or I may have one post workout if I need to rush out the door or something and don't have time to make a proper dinner.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not, unless I need to 'top up' my protein intake I get from food - then I take it 'whenever'.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    At night if I didn't get enough protein in the day. No need to drink right after workout.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    One shake is the first thing I eat in the morning. Its quick and easy before my workout.
    I occasionally have one mid day depending on where my calories and protein are sitting.
    Almost every night I have a shake before bed as dessert.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    one in the morning when I wake up, one after both my workouts, and a casein shake before bed

^Exactly this
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Most days I have a protein shake for breakfast. I wake up hungry and it keeps me feeling satisfied for hours.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends. Sometimes I'll have a scoop in the morning. Sometimes it will be later in the day on the way home from the gym.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I might have one in my coffee, but I don't always. I can usually get close to my protein goal without one.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    I drink one every day of the week because the one I use (ON Gold Standard) doesn't have a bunch of carbs or sugar and has a lot of protein relative to the volume.

I'm working out every other day and I make a shake before heading to the gym and drink it while on the treadmill and when I take breaks from weight lifting.

The reason I am drinking one every day is that I found using the Food Diary that I don't get enough protein if I don't. HOWEVER, I have read somewhere (no idea if there is any scientific evidence for it) that the day after your workout is when your body really needs protein to build muscle and the heart muscle is my top priority right now.
  • KwajSteve
    KwajSteve Posts: 5
    Options
    Whey protein after my workout and one before bed, mixed with milk.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    One per day, if I can't get the daily protein requirement from food. I'll have it whenever is convenient for me.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    On in the morning, and then one after my second workout on days that I workout twice (lift and seperate cardio/ circuit training and cardio). But ALWAYS in the am.
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    so no one here does starved cardio in the morning? guess i am the only crazy one...
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph

I take a serving of protein 5-10 minutes before workout and a protein/carbs mix (Optimum Nutrition's AfterMax) immediately after workout, and have seen very good results. The main difference I notice is in the time it takes my body to recover. I used to have a strong Monday workout and gradually getting worse over the week. Now, I don't experience this any more.

K, so that was what I do. Here is what "the Internet" says. :) You should take protein when you wake up to make sure your body is not left without. You should take protein before workout, after workout, and before going to bed. But, I am with you, taking that much protein would ruin me. Plus that either means taking half servings, or not getting any protein with my regular food, which won't work for me (the protein shakes do nothing to satisfy my hunger).

Some of the best deals on protein are online. I am not associated and do not profit from any of this sites, but I find sbmuscle.com and amazon.com to have some of the best prices. I would not bother buying protein locally unless it is on sale from Costco or Walmart, and that is only if your body can tolerate the brands they sell. I have found that most "discount" brands give me stomachaches after a week or two of use. If you don't have the same problem, Costco carries a 10 lb (i believe) bag that is made by the same guys that make MuscleMilk. It has decent taste, mixes ok, and the price is good. BodyFortress (Walmart's brand) also runs cheap. Never tried it. GNC and 24 Hour fitness sell the protein at MSRP, which is a joke, because the MSRP is often twice the online price.

If you want the "real" stuff, I would go with Optimum Nutrition at a minimum. Gaspari makes some very good proteins too. Since these two work for me, I have not bothered with other brands since.

"The window of opportunity" that someone mentioned refers mainly to carb intake. It is as important, if not more important, that you take carbs after work out to replenish the glycogen in your liver.

The poor man's replacement for casein is milk. Protein in milk is about 80% of casein and 20% of whey. The best part about casein is, that mixing it with whey protein slows down the absorption of the whey protein too. So in theory a glass of milk with your cheap whey protein is the same as taking the more expensive casein.

Hope this helps. I know every time I decide to research the topic my head starts spinning.

Thanks Chusheto1!!