Do you log ALL activity as exercise?

Options

Replies

• enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't log housework, even though I see others that do it. I'm a SAHM. I do housework every day. I do log things like taking the kids to the park, doing the grocery shopping since it's a three store tour that takes at least an hour and a half (I log them both as slow walking), and such. If I did yard work (which I don't), I'd most certainly log that. It's so darned crappy that I'd feel like I deserve the credit. I hate yardwork with a fiery passion.

I also have myself set as sedentary, even though I do a lot of chasing after kids and dogs. I don't think I'm truly sedentary, but I didn't want to risk inflating my numbers.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I do not log housework, gardening, any of that. The only thing I log is workouts.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't. My activity level is set to "Active", and that covers me, especially as I sit around most of the day.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    No...only if I pull weeds for hours at a time or mop the floors on my hands and knees or clean all the windows. I haven't done that for way too long :P
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I only log dedicated work outs, everything else I consider extra. It helps me keep track of how much I work out (not just every day tasks)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Unless it's something I don't do regularly or routinely such as once a week or once a month, etc then I wouldn't log it. Even then I may not log it simply because I'm not timing myself on how long it took and I don't want to guesstimate.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    When I set my activity level at sedentary I did. Now I use a TDEE calculator and include my activity and intended exercise in it. Then I subtract 20% and that is what I eat every day. No eating extra for exercise unless I do some majorly huge workout like cycling for 30 miles or something.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For me, unless I'm actually at the gym and making a sweat, I don't log exercise. Even if I sweat when doing housework, I don't think it counts (for me).
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I log calories burned during yard work and house cleaning because that is what I do for a living. I usually only log half the time though. If I clean 2 houses at a total of 6 hours, I only log 3 hours worth because scrubbing floors and showers takes much more effort than washing dishes or wiping down counters. I figure it balances out and since my activity level is set to incorporate only 80 minutes of exercise a week, I log my "work calories" whenever I feel I've really expended energy.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i only log it if it's something out of the ordinary that i do. i normally sweep, clean, mop, etc. so i don't log that, but if i mowed, i would log that. tennis tonight, logging. :smile:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I can see logging outdoor stuff bc it can get physical; however I'm not understanding the housework logging. I think logging cleaning as exercise can be a little misleading and not burn the cals you think you are. I personally, onlyog actual exercise.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't. I only log something I wouldn't have done a year and a half ago.

^^ Perfect. I think this is what I'm going to follow. I've weeded, mowed, shopped, lugged kids, walked around the zoo/amusement park/etc. for years! And I'm fat. So only actual sweaty "workout clothes" exercises will get logged for me. If I'm not wearing a sports bra, it's not exercise. Thanks for your input, everyone!
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    With it being Spring I'm seeing a lot of yard work/mowed lawn/etc. kind of posts. I haven't been logging that stuff at exercise because I don't want to see that I have extra calories. I just factor that stuff into my activity level that I set when I made my profile. Do you log chores/yard work as exercise?

I am with you. I don't log exercise as I factor it in my daily calories allowance. Knowing myself, seeing extra calories would be a slippery slope. Consecutively, I don't see a point in logging yard work. Unless it is high intensity, competitive yard work of some sorts, I guess :laugh:

All joking aside, watch your progress and decide if you should adjust for yard work or not.
  • jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    Nope, not me, I just log the gym stuff. Personally I am afraid that if I logged other activity I would end up with too high a calorie setting on MFP. I am one of those cases that does not need an excuse to consume more calories.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Nope, not me, I just log the gym stuff. Personally I am afraid that if I logged other activity I would end up with too high a calorie setting on MFP. I am one of those cases that does not need an excuse to consume more calories.

ME TOO!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No, I just log exercise as exercise. I figure I've built yardwork & chores into my overall activity level; if I've shortchanged myself that's probably a good thing make up for the occasional granola bar that might not be logged. :wink:
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is..just did kitchen and bathrooms (3) floors on hands and knees.. I logged 100 calories burned because I have my level set at sedentary...logged heavy duty chores this weekend because I cleaned out basement, moved furniture, washed walls, etc....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    If it's something I don't generally do on a week to week basis, then I might log it. Any daily activities (doing dishes, making beds, vacuuming...) I won't log because I don't consider it exercise. Mowing a lawn, I'd probably add. Shoveling snow too.

Competitive yard work, eh? I'm sure we could race mowers!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No I don't log anything except my actual workouts.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Usually no, I normally just log what I actually set out to do as
    exercise like cycling or strength training but this week I'm totally gutting
    my Dad's lawn and re-landscaping it. This is no leisurely gardening it was
    backbreaking today and we did it for five hours (totalling over 900 calories) so I counted
    the calories just to try and eat enough net for the day.