Quitting your job to travel -- anyone do it?

Options
jac264
jac264 Posts: 86 Member
I just got back from my second trip out of the country - this time I traveled alone and had a blast making new friends and experiencing new cultures. I'm a 26 year old female who has fallen in love with traveling - particularly in South and Central America, although I have never been to Europe. I am seriously considering saving for the next year and then either taking a personal leave (up to 6 months) or just quitting my job to travel for a year. I will definitely have enough saved to last me a year or two by then, and would likely try to work (on a farm, in a hostel, for a tourist place) for short periods of time to get free housing and food, but obviously its a huge decision. Just wondering if anyone has done something like this?

Any other thoughts?

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This sounds fantastic! Goodluck!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i envy you
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I met a waitress that does this, she saves up, the quits and travels.

Seems scarey to me in these tough times to get a job.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    :love: :love: :love:
    I have not traveled to South America yet- but I really want to! Coastal Colombia interests me the most.
    Have you considered volunteering? That way food/housing is taken care of, and you do something to help others.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of one of my all time favorite quotes from "Into The Wild":

So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. ~ Chris McCandless (aka: Alexander Sumpertramp)
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just lived 2 years in El Salvador... and I'm looking for a way to get back down and live in Guatemala in a Lake Atitlan hostel.... Miss it too much.

Good luck with your saving and planning. Definitely worth it!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you quit your job, how soon would it be until you can find another? Times are tough.
  • Adventurehuntress
    Adventurehuntress Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! I also am in love with traveling. I recently visited Israel & I am strongly considering moving there. I say do it! You only regret the things you don't, not the things you do.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I just got back from my second trip out of the country - this time I traveled alone and had a blast making new friends and experiencing new cultures. I'm a 26 year old female who has fallen in love with traveling - particularly in South and Central America, although I have never been to Europe. I am seriously considering saving for the next year and then either taking a personal leave (up to 6 months) or just quitting my job to travel for a year. I will definitely have enough saved to last me a year or two by then, and would likely try to work (on a farm, in a hostel, for a tourist place) for short periods of time to get free housing and food, but obviously its a huge decision. Just wondering if anyone has done something like this?

Any other thoughts?

Im thinking of doing that,too...you are young,at 26 there's every chance you can get a decent job when you/if you return...I think you are making a fantastic , life affirming choice that will enrich you in a way that nothing else will. I travel also, but my heart belongs to Africa :-)

sure, youre quitting your job, but jobs will come and go..life isn't a rehearsal for anything!!!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I became a flight attendant for about 5 years - and it was a great decision. I loved it. I went back to further my education after I felt I had traveled sufficiently (:
  • jac264
    Options
    Yes I will definitely be volunteering during that time - likely a month to 6 weeks in Italy since I have family there and would stay with them for a bit too and then a few weeks at a time in other places in South America through this website http://www.helpx.net/. I don't want to spend too much time in Europe b/c it's expensive and I can go later in life, but I do have friends there. I also never really had a desire to travel through Southeast Asia or Africa but I heard amazing things about Thailand and Indonesia and wouldn't want to skip it - although adding in another flight during the trip would be where all the expenses come in. I would plan on spending a few weeks in Guatemala at a Spanish language school.

The plan would be to have enough money saved up for a 6 month to 1 year trip and then to come back to the U.S. with 6 months living expenses still in the bank. I am very fortunate to be living in a major city with a good job and super low living expenses/rent (I just sold my car since I walk to work). I just don't know when a "good" time would be - I'm not really in love with my job and am sure I will start looking elsewhere in the next year or two anyway. I was thinking that leaving with 4.5-5 years of work experience would be okay and that employers wouldn't think twice about the one year gap.

The other problem is that I can almost guarantee that if I lived in South/Central America I would end up meeting someone and want to stay haha!
  • jac264
    Options

Any other thoughts?

Im thinking of doing that,too...you are young,at 26 there's every chance you can get a decent job when you/if you return...I think you are making a fantastic , life affirming choice that will enrich you in a way that nothing else will. I travel also, but my heart belongs to Africa :-)

sure, youre quitting your job, but jobs will come and go..life isn't a rehearsal for anything!!!

Thanks for the thoughts - its nice to hear from people who agree with my sentiments. My family/friends don't really get it!
  • jac264
    Options
    I just lived 2 years in El Salvador... and I'm looking for a way to get back down and live in Guatemala in a Lake Atitlan hostel.... Miss it too much.

Good luck with your saving and planning. Definitely worth it!

Lake Atitlan hostel - I will write that down. Perhaps we will meet one day :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Go. Do it before you have kids and responsibility.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do it, will be best time in your life, do it now while you can, as one day it just won't be possilbe, don't have regrets and think back why didn't i do it. I packed up my whole life at 25 and moved to London for 2 yrs and turned into 4. Was able to work while there but was scary and only knew 1 person when moved. Was the best thing i ever did, i miss that time and had the most amazing time seeing the UK and Europe, is amazing place and so worth it. When you come home you'll be able to pick yourself up again and find work.
  • gorunjogger
    gorunjogger Posts: 58
    Options
    I took a sabbatical from work and cycled across Africa last year. Most amazing experience ever. It's definitely worth it. You can teach English part time or do some volunteer work (in exchange for food/housing). Good luck!!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm actually thinking about that right now. If you have lots of money then why not just become a freelance travel blogger? I heard its also a nice way to earn money while at the same time enjoying the sceneries of different places around the world. If only I have lots of money I'd definitely do it.

EDIT: I also wish to travel to Latin America especially to Mexico. I'm part-Mexican but sadly I've never been to Mexico since I was born in a different continent although I have some great friends from there.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i just started traveling and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. however i have two small children ages 5 and 6 so i cant leave alot. if it is just you, i would definetly go!!! it will enhance your life and be a very cultural experience. i would love to be able to travel freely but with a family it just isnt possible. my dream is to one day go backbacking.....i say GOOOOO!!! have a blast and if you decide to come back to work do and if not well they have jobs everywhere :wink:
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i wish i had a career that would let me do that!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Lost my job about a month before moving to Rome. Was going to quit to go anyway. My boyfriend at the time was accepted to a Master's program there, so basically I packed up my life and went there with him.

I don't have a full-time job right now (I substitute teach), and have been applying to teach English in S. Korea for the fall.

I'm a bit of a nomad... have been to Europe 5 times just for kicks and studies. I want to hit every continent before I settle down.

Oh, take a look here. Might interest you: http://wwoof.org/