How do I track this?

Options
I made some grilled chicken tonight to go on our salad, but I am not sure how to accurately track it. I weighed it beforehand and it was just under 12oz.. I was using safeway frozen, boneless skinless breasts, and because I absolutely hate the texture of fat I trim all visible fat from them. Anyway, once I grilled it I weighed it again to equally portion it out between my husband and I and each portion was just under 4 oz. So, my question is, do I track it as the 6 oz a piece, or 4? Thanks

Replies

• awelcome3
    awelcome3 Posts: 4
    Options
    just hoping someone might have the answer to this.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    I'd say your safe at 4oz...
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Use the weight you got when it was raw. Then use 6oz if you split it evenly..an ounce one way or the other won't impact anything.
    Enjoy.. that's what we are having tonite, too!!!lol
  • aekermans
    aekermans Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record mine after cooking.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would say 4 oz, but what the heck do I know...would love to hear the answers to this. I usually weigh meat after it's been cooked
  • melinda_great
    melinda_great Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i weigh and record the weight after cooking.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I also weigh and record after it is cooked
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Either way...enter it as 6 oz raw or 4 oz grilled
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't make things harder than they need to be!
    Just pick one or the other and look in the database for "chicken breast raw" or "chicken breast grilled".
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat after it is cooked.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I track calories in raw meat because the amount of water weight that evaporates depends on how long you cook it.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Cooked! especially if the description in the database says "Chicken Breast, baked"
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    A serving of chicken is generally 3 oz cooked. So I would go with the cooked weight of 4 oz. The extra weight when it is raw is most likely water, which cooks off, so you'd be over estimating your calories. Then again, I haven't checked to see what the caloric difference is between 6 oz raw and 4 oz cooked... might be worth looking into. Might just be the same...
  • awelcome3
    awelcome3 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am sure it's a fairly minimal difference, but even a few calories add up as we all know. I really didn't expect it to change all that much from raw to cooked since I remove all fat, and there isn't usually much that cooks off after that, but it was an oz shy of half it's original weight basically.