whats your secret?

Options

Replies

• Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    SLEEP. I have long stretches of insomnia where I sleep less than 4hrs a day for a few months and I found that even though I think I eat the same as when I sleep for 6-7hrs, the weight starts creeping back. It also may have something to do with the fact that I can not exercise with the same vigor as when I am well rested as well as playing havok on memory so I do sometimes miss placing items on my food log (hell, sometimes I forget I ate a whole meal and would eat another shortly after the first one.). I found that if I log my food BEFORE I eat, it would both curb the forgetfullness and reinforce staying within my calorie goal.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    all great post.
  • Amoceri88
    Amoceri88 Posts: 1
    Options
    i really like your response...i also find logging food before eating helps..i work 12 hr shifts at the hospital and the days i plan and pack my lunch are the best ones :)
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Moderation was always the KEY to my weight loss, because I still ate what I was use to, but in smaller portions. Example, instead of my normal six slice of pizza... I'd have 2.

Oh, and the mirror... those damn mirrors! :mad:
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Staying @ 1200 calories a day ... Gym 5 days a week !!! started @ 288 down to 266 just over 30 days....

Off to a great start man. Unless you are under a doctor or nutritionist's supervision, I strongly urge you jack up your daily intake, to prevent issues before they start. 1200 is well below your BMR, and while you may lose weight rapidly eating that level, you may not be losing the right kind, i.e., fat.

^^^ this! To the OP, KNOW YOUR BMR AND TDEE. Eat at a 15- 20 % deficit of your TDEE and NEVER eat below your BMR and you will lose weight. Exercise is a matter of preference. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred to ease myself into strength training because I am a cardio girl through and through. You cannot 'spot reduce' so just exercise, get moving and do something for your whole body! Good luck!
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP (this is only my second week), but so far I have been able to stick with it really easily by eating small meals close together (breakfast, AM snack, lunch, PM snack, dinner, evening snack). I've also found a way to curb my craving for sweets (which is huge for me), by eating a VitaBrownie for my evening snack every day (only 100 calories, and they keep me full through the night).
  • annagrace51
    annagrace51 Posts: 12
    Options
    60 minutes of arobic kickboxing 3 times a week ...60 minutes 3 times a week zumba....and I use the amino liquid drops...and changed the way I eat.
  • pulsate
    pulsate Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What I've been trying to do is just the little things. I have a pretty busy life, trying to deal with a full time job, getting ready to go to college, family.. friends.. and always loving sleeping.

I've focused a lot of my main goal to be on my food, since i don't have much time for extra activity. I keep in check with my calorie counting. Once you realise you can eat more when you eat healthy, it makes you focus more on eating good foods.

you shouldn't deprive yourself though. every once and awhile you need to treat yourself to something, or you'll get discouraged, and binge on something that risks backpedaling all of the work you've done. Try saving calories up for a treat at the end of the week. gives you something to look forward to.

I've cut out almost all drinks that aren't water. It's a waste of calories, and doesn't often do the body any good.

When i crave sweets, I try to look at fruits.. but something like a 100 calorie special k bar takes care of the sweet tooth.

I try to do the little things, like parking a car further away, or taking the stairs instead if the elevator or escalator.

I've only just recently got back into my routine, but already ive started losing weight. it's a good feeling.
  • noidles
    noidles Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a major obsession with chocolate and diet coke. So for lent I gave both up, and found it was then easier to snack less. Then I did the c25k and started the 30 day shred.

Since lent I've carried on not eating chocolate and drinking diet coke and I've also given up alcohol for 6 weeks and I'm limiting the amount of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes I have.

What motivates me tostay on track is looking at everyone's success on here. It gets me through the tougher days.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Eating less and doing more.
    I do much better if I plan my meals in advance. If I don't have healthy food readily available I will eat garbage.
    If I'm going out to eat I get the menu from the internet and pick out what I'm ordering before I get there.
  • tdismydog
    tdismydog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In Soviet Russia, weight lose you.

one of the better quotes i have seen on MFP.:laugh:
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    In Soviet Russia, weight lose you.

Haha EPIC
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I no longer go the grocery store and buy $80 worth of snacks. I do enjoy the occassional treat, but since its not stockpiled in my cabinet, I can't overdo it.

THIS! If it's not there, you can't eat it!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    what's everyone's secret to a successful weight loss?

I don't want answers like eating healthy and exercising..that's a given! lol

I wanna know what foods and which exercises :)

I think the the secret to my sucess has been that (thanks to MFP) I now have control over my food and snack intake. The first day I started I took what I would consider a normal portion and then I weiged it and saw I was putting 2-2.5 portions on my plate (and once it was on my plate I ate it). The same thing with snacks... instead of snacking mindlessly I measure out my snacks and enjoy. The foods I have have not changed just the amount of them that I consume in a single meal.

As for exercises, I like to do my PT in the morning and normally do 35 mins of elliptical trainer but also have stationary cycles or treadmills (one of my NSVs was graduating from walk/run to 30 mins of running @ 5 mph) to choose from. Also, we just recently rescued a dog from the local Humane Society and now include dog walks throughout the day as well.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    1. high protein
    2. lemon water to avoid the late night munchies
    3. constantly changing exercise routine/striving for new exercise goals
    4. allowing myself to go over in calories once a week or so, never depriving myself of the foods I like (however, with weight loss my tastes have changed and healthy food is now "yummy" food to me)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Being a hardliner for accuracy.

This doesn't mean that I go out of my way to measure things to get it perect, however it does mean:
    > I verify the nutritional info in MFP as much as possible (and reasonable)
    > I don't "play it safe" and underestimate exercise / overestimate food
    > I don't skip logging any calorie burn or intake.
    > I weigh myself daily, calculate the moving average, and continuously verify that my calorie targets will give the exact same weigth loss that I want it to. In other words veryify results.

This is all estimating 101. If you aren't going to keep accurate records don't be confused when things aren't going right. Accurate records allow you to troubleshoot problem areas.

I personally think the vast majorty of people suck at estimating, compounding play it safe errors on top of play it safe errors and eat WAY LESS than they should be.
    - Is your daily calorie goal based of of what you beleive is the most right number, or off of a safe number?
    - Do you pick safe/high numbers when choosing foods in MFP's database and tend ot overstimate portions to be safe?
    - Do you not track exercise calories or if you do be safe and estimate conservative?
    Look at all the layers of error. Say 30% error on each. Each one compounds the other, you aren't even in the ballpark because you are playing it safe. (with this example, your body could want 2000 calories (w/500 cal/day deficit), you target 1400 calories, miss 300 calories of exercise, and only actually each 1100 calories, you are at a net of 800 a day, thinking you are at a net of 1400 a day, and your body wants a net of 2000 a day, your etsimating sucks and troubleshooting the problem (this plateau you surely are in) will be near impossible).

The key to estimating is to always strive to be RIGHT, not safe. Accurate data will be much, much, much better for troubleshooting problem areas, and you should be able to catch things like "I lost 1.3 lbs per week average in the last month, I'm only supposed to be losing 1.0 lb per week, so I should increase my calorie intake by 150 cal/day so that my daily target will produce my expected loss".
  • ayoubm3949
    ayoubm3949 Posts: 81
    Options
    I jump into my bikini like twice a day to remind myself why I'm working this hard :) I also drink LOTS of green tea and add some apple cider vinegar which aids my hunger!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    GOALS:
    You have to have a goal.

I have a long term goal, but I set short term goals as I move forward.

My long term goal is to look great for my wedding in July. Current short term goal is to see if I can train like I am going to compete in a Bikini competition by following this competition workout routine for the next month.

EXERCISE:
    I believe in challenging myself. WITHOUT CHALLENGING OURSELVES WE WILL NEVER CHANGE!

I joined a run clinic in January and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have seen so many changes in my body and I feel a sense of pride in myself that I have never experienced.

FOOD:
    I stick to what is easy for the week when it comes to food. I prepare and package all my vegetables on Sunday for the work week.

I usually make extra lean protein at dinner (like chicken) so I can bring leftovers to work…
    I also boil half a dozen eggs for the week.

It is all about making things easy…
  • Mnm1983
    Mnm1983 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    agreed!:smile:
  • Thudson78
    Thudson78 Posts: 8
    Options
    Portion control is the key. This little trick helped me, so I'll share. Hope it help you too...

Someone told me about a relative who had moved into a house built in 1910. As she was unpacking, she went to put her dinner plates in the cabinet, but the plates didn't fit because the cabinets were from an era before people started using these oversized plates for their oversized meals. I had never really thought about that before. It was a real eye opening moment for me. So I decided to work on portion control.
    This was easier said than done because putting the correct food portions on a full size dinner plate left me feeling deprived and hungry. I decided to start eating my meals on a salad plate instead and wow what a difference! It has helped me maintain portion control and believe it or not, I think it helps to tricks my brain into thinking I am full by the time I am finished eating. The whole plate is full, no empty spaces to make me feel like I'm missing out. It works for me. Hope this help :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!