MFP Protein limit...

Options
I'm 22, 61kg and 150 cms and currently trying to reach 55-52kgs. Ive read a few topics that have said MFP's protein limit is set very low, which would explain why I'm cutting it so close (I have 9gs left i think and haven't had dinner yet). People say to raise it but since I'm new to this whole nutrition thing, what is an appropriate percentage to raise it to without gaining weight or too much muscle?

Replies

• willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, 61kg and 150 cms and currently trying to reach 55-52kgs. Ive read a few topics that have said MFP's protein limit is set very low, which would explain why I'm cutting it so close (I have 9gs left i think and haven't had dinner yet). People say to raise it but since I'm new to this whole nutrition thing, what is an appropriate percentage to raise it to without gaining weight or too much muscle?

firstly, protein does not make you "gain weight" nor does it "give you muscle". Imagine a house. A house is made of bricks. Protein are the bricks. And exercise is the construction worker. You cannot build a house without bricks, but you cant without the worker either.

Meaning eating protein by itself without proper workouts will achieve nothing, it will not give you magical muscles. Now having said that, we cant really tell how much protein you need unless you give us more info, example your current body fat percentage, your current physical shape, what your goals are in terms of fat % and physical shape, etc. On average about 1 to 1.5 g per pound of mass is a good number. I take 2g+ but thats because Im on a different workout/lifestyle to you.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, raising your protein will neither make you gain weight nor muscle.

People recommend 1-1.5g of protein for every pound of lean body mass.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First of all, raising your protein will neither make you gain weight nor muscle.

thanks for rewriting what i said :P
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

thanks for rewriting what i said :P
    Repeated for emphasis! :wink:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I personally changed my settings to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat --- but you have to figure out what works for you.

May people do 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat --- or other variations.

Anything but the default which I think is WAY off and ridiculous :)
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Higher protein increases satiety and also revs up your metabolism, cause it raises the body temp in order to digest. I have read this before and just thought i'd pass it on as fat loss info.
  • ne0cats
    ne0cats Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks everyone (:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have increased my protein as well. Right now at 5'7" and 30lbs overweight at 169lbs, I feel much more comfortable and satisfied at 100gs or more. I do strength training 4-5 times/week and also daily cardio/sprints. I am learning! At first I started with the recommended, but that left me feeling....poorly! Glad I increased.
  • ShemikaPerry
    Options
    I always go over my protein limit and because of that, i have been losing weight a lot faster. More protein and less carbs will cause you to burn fat much faster. More protein will also keep you full longer sooo... i wouldn't worry about it.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    many people do suggest the 1g protein for every pound of lean body mass. I lift and did this for a while, but always felt starved. I've lowered mine from 40% to15-20% and feel much better.
    If you feel that high protein works for you then do that. MFP does not make rules, its all more of a guideline to follow until you see what works because everyone is different. Higher protein will not make you build muscle.